Last visit was: It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Multiple Attribute Dice (advanced maneuvers)
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:53 pm 

Quote:
Page 256 (Errata) Under the rules for creating an advanced maneuver add the following line to the Effects: entry (shown in Bold)
Effects:
The effects of both maneuvers are combined. Single Target maneuver effects are applied to all Targets when combined with a multiple Target maneuver. If two maneuvers which grant Attribute) die are combined the new maneuver only retains one of its attribute die (player’s choice) at a +2 bonus. If one of the maneuvers granted multiple attribute die increase the bonus to +6

please remove the underlined text.

In the interest of creating a universal "only one attribute die can explode" rule I'd propose the following based on these ideals:

1 if you have multiple attribute dice from different sources only one can explode
--this is the basic premise pedro wanted written up

2 if you have a sufficiently advanced attribute to grant 2 attribute dice (ie Powerful Attribute ARPG 328 and the example therein, or Rune of Might) only one can both explode.
--on one hand you explode for less, on the other hand you explode more often (smaller die
type) and you have 2x the chance to explode (multiple dice)

3 pick one and go with it don't roll multiple and choose the highest result
--i think this point is up for debate, but this is the fastest to run at the table

Q:If I have multiple attribute dice, which ones can explode?
A:If you have multiple attribute dice and they roll their maximum, pick one to explode and keep rolling.

For example Will's Templar has a Might Rune that increases his might from 1d12, to 2d6, on his attack he rolls 1d8 and 2d6 for damage, he comes up with a 5 on the D8 and 6s on both of the D6s, he pick up one of his D6's and rolls it again and gets 6 again and rolls again and gets a 3, for a total of 26 damage.

another example is Adam's Archer using the T5 Moment of Prescience martial Technique and it does "... an additional (Qu) and (In) die of damage" he hits his target with an arrow and does:
1d8 + Quickness die(d12) + Quickness die(d12) + Insight die(d8) and rolls:
5 on the d8, 6 on the first d12, 12 on the second d12, and 8 on the d8
he can then choose the d12 or the d8 to explode, he chooses the d12 and rolls a 5 for a total of 36 damage.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Multiple Attribute Dice (advanced maneuvers)
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:05 pm 

SamhainIA wrote:
Q:If I have multiple attribute dice, which ones can explode?
A:If you have multiple attribute dice and they roll their maximum, pick one to explode and keep rolling.

For example Will's Templar has a Might Rune that increases his might from 1d12, to 2d6, on his attack he rolls 1d8 and 2d6 for damage, he comes up with a 5 on the D8 and 6s on both of the D6s, he pick up one of his D6's and rolls it again and gets 6 again and rolls again and gets a 3, for a total of 26 damage.

another example is Adam's Archer using the T5 Moment of Prescience martial Technique and it does "... an additional (Qu) and (In) die of damage" he hits his target with an arrow and does:
1d8 + Quickness die(d12) + Quickness die(d12) + Insight die(d8) and rolls:
5 on the d8, 6 on the first d12, 12 on the second d12, and 8 on the d8
he can then choose the d12 or the d8 to explode, he chooses the d12 and rolls a 5 for a total of 36 damage.

I fully support this and was what I had proposed replacing the "underlined" section above with:

Quote:
exploding damage may only be applied from one of the Attribute dice. If multiple Attribute Dice explode, you may choose the Attribute die you want to reroll.

Do you see any problems with the wording? I think it matches your examples exactly.

John

Kelb'Bakari Masalio, Dark-kin Altherian Corsair, Gentleman Archaeologist, and Wandering Bard
"The highest compliment an Altherian can pay you is to shoot you with his flintlock. It means you were worth the expense."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:17 pm 

John, i cant tell are you agreeing with me or not

i think we are trying to say the same thing, is there any reason your rules change needs to go to the place you described instead of to the FAQ?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:21 pm 

I am agreeing with you. You provided examples of how it should work. I was just providing a replacement for the text you originally underlined and did not included (which I also agree with) but which says clearly (I hope) what your examples illustrate.

I still think your FAQ answer is good, I just wanted to restate I clearly in the advance maneuver section so it doesn't get missed at the point where it is used.

Kelb'Bakari Masalio, Dark-kin Altherian Corsair, Gentleman Archaeologist, and Wandering Bard
"The highest compliment an Altherian can pay you is to shoot you with his flintlock. It means you were worth the expense."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:27 pm 

oh you might have missed it but i thought we should just do away with that underlined text and use this as a general rule, not one that just applies to martial techs

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:33 pm 

Josh and Joe

Origins we three are going to go to a bar....

Josh and Joe will flip a coin.. winner buys the other a drink.... loser buys the next one..

I will buy the 3rd round

no discussion.. no "but".... let it go.. stat monkey has spokem.. (and included a typo)

Paradigm Concepts
Miami, Florida

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:35 pm 

Done

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:36 pm 

Quote:
Page 90 (Errata)
Under Exploding Dice add the following to the end of the entry

Anytime you end up rolling multiple attribute dice, if multiple Attribute Dice explode, you may choose one Attribute die you want to re-roll.

Paradigm Concepts
Miami, Florida

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:23 pm 

PCI_StatMonkey wrote:
Josh and Joe

Origins we three are going to go to a bar....

Josh and Joe will flip a coin.. winner buys the other a drink.... loser buys the next one..

I will buy the 3rd round

no discussion.. no "but".... let it go.. stat monkey has spokem.. (and included a typo)

Lucky Joe!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:41 pm 

funny i read that as john

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric, PCI_StatMonkey Go to page 1, 2  Next