Last visit was: It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Advanced Martial Techniques and exploding die
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:36 am 

Can you roll and allow all Attribute Dice to explode and just choose the highest roll among them with the others just being the 'die' max?

For instance say you're making an attack with:

d8 (Weapon) + d10 (Strength) + d6 (Insight) + d8 (Quickness)

You roll:
7 (Weapon)
10 (Strength) - Exploding roll (4) = Total 14
6 (Insight) - Exploding roll (6) - 2nd Exploding Roll (3) = Total 15
5 (Quickness)

You 'keep' the 15 from Insight, then add 7 from Weapon, 10 from Strength, and 5 from Quickness?

John

Kelb'Bakari Masalio, Dark-kin Altherian Corsair, Gentleman Archaeologist, and Wandering Bard
"The highest compliment an Altherian can pay you is to shoot you with his flintlock. It means you were worth the expense."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:42 am 

Harliquinn wrote:
Can you roll and allow all Attribute Dice to explode and just choose the highest roll among them with the others just being the 'die' max?

For instance say you're making an attack with:

d8 (Weapon) + d10 (Strength) + d6 (Insight) + d8 (Quickness)

You roll:
7 (Weapon)
10 (Strength) - Exploding roll (4) = Total 14
6 (Insight) - Exploding roll (6) - 2nd Exploding Roll (3) = Total 15
5 (Quickness)

You 'keep' the 15 from Insight, then add 7 from Weapon, 10 from Strength, and 5 from Quickness?

John

Wait a second, don't we have a rule that only 1 die can explode when rolling multiple action die?

:::thinks::::

I need to dig into my book later today

EDIT: never mind, I looked.. it's a note in my pdf... an idea I had.. nothing I ever implemented

Paradigm Concepts
Miami, Florida

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:55 am 

It's basically saying the same thing but you get to roll all exploding dice to see which one you want to keep. Since we're only allowing 1 to explode, it makes sense to at least pick the highest exploding die.

Now, the question is, would this apply the same when you are rolling multiple Attribute Dice for a normal attack (as some very strong enemies do)?

John

Kelb'Bakari Masalio, Dark-kin Altherian Corsair, Gentleman Archaeologist, and Wandering Bard
"The highest compliment an Altherian can pay you is to shoot you with his flintlock. It means you were worth the expense."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:54 am 

Harliquinn wrote:
It's basically saying the same thing but you get to roll all exploding dice to see which one you want to keep. Since we're only allowing 1 to explode, it makes sense to at least pick the highest exploding die.

Now, the question is, would this apply the same when you are rolling multiple Attribute Dice for a normal attack (as some very strong enemies do)?

John

Thinking about making it a general rule.. if you roll multiple attribute die, only one can explode...

Add it to the general rule on attribute die and remove the question in the current FAQ

Paradigm Concepts
Miami, Florida

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:59 am 

PCI_StatMonkey wrote:
Thinking about making it a general rule.. if you roll multiple attribute die, only one can explode...

Add it to the general rule on attribute die and remove the question in the current FAQ

Better explanation? Is it determined before or after die are rolled?

This is one of my problems with the existing A:MT rule on multiple attribute die, it doesn't explain very well or give an example.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:00 am 

Southernskies wrote:
PCI_StatMonkey wrote:

Better explanation? Is it determined before or after die are rolled?

This is one of my problems with the existing A:MT rule on multiple attribute die, it doesn't explain very well or give an example.

No I would say roll the die.. and if you max out on more then one attribute die.. choose one and re-roll, adding to the final result.

Paradigm Concepts
Miami, Florida

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:16 am 

PCI_StatMonkey wrote:

To be clear, this obviously would apply to something like Weapon (Mi) (In), where multiple attributes' dice are included; and to cases like Weapon (Mi) (Mi), where an extra attribute is added.

But what about really strong brutes where their (Mi) attribute "die" is actually 2d6? Could both d6 dice explode or just one?

Scott

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:24 am 

DeadZone wrote:
PCI_StatMonkey wrote:

To be clear, this obviously would apply to something like Weapon (Mi) (In), where multiple attributes' dice are included; and to cases like Weapon (Mi) (Mi), where an extra attribute is added.

But what about really strong brutes where their (Mi) attribute "die" is actually 2d6? Could both d6 dice explode or just one?

ya Scott, it would be a universal rule.. when rolling more then one attribute die, only one may explode...

Paradigm Concepts
Miami, Florida

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:33 am 

As long as you determine the exploding die after rolling all of them at least once, that's fine with me.

John

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:42 am 

Harliquinn wrote:
As long as you determine the exploding die after rolling all of them at least once, that's fine with me.

John

I'm swamped at work, would someone mind working up the wording..

my lunch brake just ended :/

:::looks at the 4 projects due in less then 4 hours:::

:::head desk:::

Paradigm Concepts
Miami, Florida

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric, PCI_StatMonkey Go to page Previous  1, 2