Last visit was: It is currently Tue Jun 04, 2024 1:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: spending fate
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:06 pm 

It isn't one he qualifies for in my proposal. It's not doing the improbable if he already qualifies for the talent/spell etc.

John

Kelb'Bakari Masalio, Dark-kin Altherian Corsair, Gentleman Archaeologist, and Wandering Bard
"The highest compliment an Altherian can pay you is to shoot you with his flintlock. It means you were worth the expense."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:09 pm 

Quote:
Spend a Fate Chip to perform a desperate or cinematic act that has no associated rule but that is realistic for your character and the setting. The GM has final authority on what is and is not allowed

Quote:
Spend a Fate Chip to use a Talent, Spell, or Combat Maneuver that you do not currently possess up to one Tier higher than yours for one action or gain an additional use of a Talent that you have already used this scene.

i personally like both these options. the first has started to lay down a foundation as to what is acceptable as for as doing the impossible. only issue i see with it is that leaves it open for interpretations as to what is "realistic" but it does have the all important part in there that says the final outcome it up to the judge. now all that needs to be done is get judges on the same note. i think more so at the major con, then local game days. since the cons require more judges to work in conjunction with each other

what can i say about the second one. i really like it. its logical, concise as to what its intent is. this one differently has my vote

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:20 pm 

Quote:
So if we were to go with a version where a player can spend a fate point (or two if we are doing this as a modified version of 'Doing the Impossible') to gain access to a talent he/she qualifies for, as a Chronicler, am I now responsible to check the rule books the player's character sheet as to confirm that the qualification is met? If so, this has the potential to slow down game play. I would rather see this axed that going through the trouble.

there two things here, if your doing the impossible to gain access to a talent i don't think it should have to be one that you would normally have access to, its the impossible so by spending a fate you can access any of them within the limits of the rule. secondly i don't see any reason what so ever as to why 2 fate would need to be spent on one action. in my mind spending more fate does not signify a greater benefit. also i believe that fate point use it limited to only once per an action, unless you are the last man standing of course ( now to be honest i'm not finding this rule in the book, (last man standing is there) but i'm sure i have seen/heard it somewhere .

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:29 pm 

whitepanther0712 wrote:
...so i believe that fate point use it limited to only once per an action...

as far as i can find this is a rule that only certain people go by I cant find it in the books

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:42 pm 

i couldn't find it either, but i'm damn sure that i have both heard and read it. i just cant place where it was.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:18 pm 

whitepanther0712 wrote:
i couldn't find it either, but i'm damn sure that i have both heard and read it. i just cant place where it was.

I Know that Harvesters and Campaign Staff have upheld it and I know I've upheld it, but for the life of me I can't find a reference to it either. The closest thing I can find is under the 'reroll option' it says you must take the new roll, which could imply no more fate spent.

John

Kelb'Bakari Masalio, Dark-kin Altherian Corsair, Gentleman Archaeologist, and Wandering Bard
"The highest compliment an Altherian can pay you is to shoot you with his flintlock. It means you were worth the expense."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:26 pm 

glad im not the only one...thought there for a minute i was going crazy

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:37 pm 

yeah I've had that "rule" quoted at me more than once and I've disagreed with it every time

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:40 pm 

It probably came about by extrapolating the re-roll use, which is pretty clear you can only try it once.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:52 pm 

Ok everyone

I have a compromise..

FOR NOW.. it's out of the game

BUT... once we have the campaign guide done, with GM guidance for its abdication.. it will come back.. at which point we will wait and see...

if we see it continues to be an issue.. its gone.

Paradigm Concepts
Miami, Florida

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric, PCI_StatMonkey Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next