Last visit was: It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: +2 to Defenses or +1 to 6 Martial / Physical Skills?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:42 pm 

I'm planning out the 4 remaining Tier 1 advancements for Vincens (Martial Archetype, Former Legionnaire Melee Combatant) and because of what happened at the Vault my original plan has changed. I'm left with 1 rank to either take +2 to Defenses or +1 to 6 Martial / Physical Skills. For RP reasons the other 3 are set. Here's the full set of advancements for Tier 1:

1. Character Creation
2. Path: Spontaneously Awakened Psion – Refresh the Body, A: Meditation +1 [1 {16}]
3. +1 to 2 Stats (Qu [8], In [6])
4. 2 Martial Techniques – Lunge, Spinning Strikes
5. Any 2 Talents – Wolf-Pack Tactics, ASC: Psionics
6. All Skills +1

Planned:
7. +1 to 6 Skills (Thrown [4], Balanced [5], Meditation [3 {18}], Stealth [3], Perception [3], Larceny [3])
8. 2 Combat Talents – Weapon Training: Short Sword, Advanced Tactics
9. Defenses +2
10. +1 to 2 Stats (Ch [3], Pr [7])

The number in brackets is how many ranks in the skill he'll have at that point or the new stat in the case of Stats. Providing he walks away with the short sword, #8 is a must. Likewise 10 is there both for RP purposes and practical ones. Having only 2 fate points per mod is challenging. That leaves either +2 to Defenses or the skill ranks. Those would be:

+1 to 6 Martial Skills (Balanced [6], Thrown [5], Battle [3], Athletics [3], Mettle [3], Stealth [3])

His ranged attacks will be thrown daggers.

So, thoughts or suggestions?

With a sweep of his hat,

Paul

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: +2 to Defenses or +1 to 6 Martial / Physical Skills?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:50 pm 

Ooof. That's a rough choice. Mechanically you need both. A really rough choice! :cry:

Marginally I prefer +1 to attack skills to +2 to defenses. What the AR of your character?

(Can you defer something to Tier II or III?)

AKA Ambassador Tukufu, man of letters, tomb raider and Master Sword Sage
. . . and Sir Szymon val'Holryn, Order of the Phoenix
Formerly Sir Jaeger val'Holryn. Weilder of the Holy Avenger: Thonanos. Gave his soul to help free King Noen

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:51 pm 

Honestly, the 2 advancements you are trying to decide between are 2 I always have. Is there a way you can do without either Lunge, Spinning Strikes, Wolf Pack Tactics or Advanced Tactics and then you could take the one you want with either Any 2 Talents or Any 2 Combat Talents and not take 2 Martial Techniques and that gives you room for both Defenses and Skills.

John

Kelb'Bakari Masalio, Dark-kin Altherian Corsair, Gentleman Archaeologist, and Wandering Bard
"The highest compliment an Altherian can pay you is to shoot you with his flintlock. It means you were worth the expense."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:52 pm 

Alternatively if you can put off the Ch and In boosts, combine the Qu and Pr and use that extra advancement.

John

Kelb'Bakari Masalio, Dark-kin Altherian Corsair, Gentleman Archaeologist, and Wandering Bard
"The highest compliment an Altherian can pay you is to shoot you with his flintlock. It means you were worth the expense."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:04 pm 

val Holryn wrote:
Ooof. That's a rough choice. Mechanically you need both. A really rough choice! :cry:

Marginally I prefer +1 to attack skills to +2 to defenses. What the AR of your character?

(Can you defer something to Tier II or III?)

My AR is standard 4 and providing time to get off Body of the Warrior will be 5. I anticipate getting hit a lot and adjust accordingly. That said, giving up +2 to all Defenses also costs me 6 Stamina. I've got a Fine Rune of Perseverance I still need to attach to his armor which is an extra 10 Stamina, so maybe it's still not as big of a deal.

I wish I could defer. I wasn't kidding about the short sword costing me 3 Talents and a Path because of the RP impact. The original plan at this point is pretty much dead. I'm having a difficult time seeing much beyond Tier 2, which given that I often plan out through Tier 4 or 5 is a nice if odd place to be. :)

With a sweep of his hat,

Paul

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:06 pm 

Harliquinn wrote:
Honestly, the 2 advancements you are trying to decide between are 2 I always have. Is there a way you can do without either Lunge, Spinning Strikes, Wolf Pack Tactics or Advanced Tactics and then you could take the one you want with either Any 2 Talents or Any 2 Combat Talents and not take 2 Martial Techniques and that gives you room for both Defenses and Skills.

John

John,

The first 5 advancements are already spent. I can't go back and adjust those. The Charisma bump is needed for RP purposes and mechanics. I agree, I wouldn't honestly have thought about giving up either of them, but I feel stuck. I have to take the WT this tier or it messes up the next one because of dependencies.

With a sweep of his hat,

Paul

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:56 pm 

+2 to all defenses. Easy choice. It will set you behind a rank in your to hit, but you will never be able to make up +2 in all defense were as in missing a single point in to hit you can get around.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:11 pm 

I agree with Devin. But you could delay planned step 8 to Tier 2. Call it time you're using to train with your new gift so as to not disappoint Cadic.

You cannot get the Defense and Skill and Ability ranks back again, you can the Talents.

and
~ Sestia Gracchi, of Grand Coryan

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:04 pm 

frzntundra4 wrote:
You cannot get the Defense and Skill and Ability ranks back again, you can the Talents.
Yupe. Unless you really need to get those talents because there is no room in your build in the next 4 tiers than I would hold off on the talent(s) until tier 2.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:34 pm 

I'll take another look and see about the talents. The character was never built to be a short sword fighter, especially not with 4 ranks left in Tier 1. The only way to get it back effectively is to "transfer" my dagger weapon mastery through Weapon Familiarity. This means

Weapon Training Short Sword
Learn Fighting Style Dimachaerus Primus
Weapon Familiarity: Dimachaerus Primus

Each of the later 2 depend on the previous one, so they can't be taken at the same time and need to be taken over the course of 3 different advancements. Which in turn pushes back the Weapon Training: Throwing Blade and Weapon Familiarity: Dagger & Throwing Blade.

The original plan of Deadly Accuracy + Steel Rain for a shot at every target within 50' is already delayed from Tier 3.1 until at least T4, probably eliminated.

It's definitely something to think on. The challenge is to figure out what's more core to concept and how to keep that and deal with the rest. As I said, the weapon may not have been cursed but is having about as much of an RP/mechanical impact as at least some of them. I look at it as a good problem to have as it makes for a deeper character.

I appreciate the suggestions and the perspective. More thinking to do.

With a sweep of his hat,

Paul

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric Go to page 1, 2  Next