Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: For non-casters, how do you prioritize your advancements
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:02 pm 

val Holryn wrote:
<snip> ... but you really feel pinched for talents (if you wanted to make a Leadership of Loyal Companion build then the Any 2 Skill Talents would be much more useful to you then what I am doing with Tukufu). I may take Any 2 skill talents in Tier II ... I do want Acrobatics, Daredevil and Wary eventually.

Tukufu seems to be a support build in combat. Have you considered picking up Exploit Weakiness which is a tiered skill talent? He could pull on his vast knowledge to find just the right way for his group to deal with the challenges they face.

Just a thought.

With a sweep of his hat,

Paul

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:56 pm 

I have a weird system. I base it on mod experiences. Am I getting hit more? Take+2 to Defenses Am I having trouble hitting opponents? Gain skill ranks Do I need more nifty tricks? Take talents. Yeah, I know generally what I am taking in the Tier, but I prefer to let story guide the order. I, personally, think organic growth likes that helps me stay in touch with the character as a living character with a changing history/story.

-general creator of mayhem and discord
-Exceptional quality PCI Minion and indentured servant
-Lord of the Hummingbirds

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:19 am 

When it comes to my non caster builds I like things that increase my passive abilities, like Defense, skills ranks, attribute increases. I'm less interested in active abilities like Talents.

Being blinded and taking a -6 to attack roles don't hurt as much if you have max ranks early on. While taking that new Martial Technique doesn't mean much if you can't hit with it.

Of course there are always exceptions. Talents that are bit more passive in nature like Weapon Mastery or Wary are better in my eyes than adding +1 to an attribute that does not become 5, 7, 8 or increase my Fate Score.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:51 am 

mighty28 wrote:
I have a weird system. I base it on mod experiences. Am I getting hit more? Take+2 to Defenses Am I having trouble hitting opponents? Gain skill ranks Do I need more nifty tricks? Take talents. Yeah, I know generally what I am taking in the Tier, but I prefer to let story guide the order. I, personally, think organic growth likes that helps me stay in touch with the character as a living character with a changing history/story.

This is the general approach I take as well. It's based on what I have and what I feel I need at the time. Plus other unusual circumstances like a particular adventure experience or if I, for example, know that I'm going to learn a new skill, I'll want to try to do that before taking +1 to all known skills. But for me, it's pretty organic.

Scott

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric Go to page Previous  1, 2