Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Ice Spikes (Advanced Spell)
PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:15 pm 

Ice Spikes
Black Ice + Earthen Spikes
Tradition: Elemental (Primal) [Tier I]
Category: Advanced
CTN: 21 (18 + 18 - 15)
Speed (Strain): 6 (+4) ( 4 (+3) +4 (+2) )
Range: 0’ (5’ Radius)
Duration: Scene (D)

Effect: You call up the ground around you, causing it to from hundreds of slick razor sharp ice spikes around you. Anyone in the spell’s Radius suffers d6 Stamina (no attack roll needed). Any creature that moves though the spell’s Radius must do so at half Speed or suffer d6 damage as well.

Upon their action, any creature standing within the spell’s radius must perform an Acrobatics or Athletics (Balance) (Qu) Action Skill Roll against your Passive Arcanum Value or fall Prone. Creatures without legs or clawed feet gain a +3 bonus to this Action Skill Roll. If a creature within the spell’s radius uses a Demanding skill action to stand or move through the affected area, they gain a +6 bonus to that Action Skill Roll.

Adaptation: Increase the CTN by 2 to increase the spell’s range by 30’. This Adaptation may be applied multiple times.
Adaptation: Increase the CTN by 4 and Strain by 1 to apply a Die Bump to the damage die. This Adaptation may be applied multiple times.

You may only have one area of Ice Spikes active at a time. If you create another patch, the previous one dissipates into fine mist and reforms in the new designated area.

Ice Spikes is very susceptible to fire spells, thus any fire spell with an area of effectand an attack roll surpassing your passive Arcanum value instantly dissipates the patch of black ice in its entirety.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Ice Spikes (Advanced Spell)
PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:15 pm 

This one is really good with widen Area

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:22 am 

To start with, I'm not implying that this is an illegal combination. From my limited knowledge of advanced spells, I think it is completely legal. However it strikes me as odd that Black Ice, on it's own, will affect (if you use a battle map) 4 squares (or 3 hexes) due to its range of 30' (5' radius). But once you combine it with a spell that has an area of 0' (5' Radius), now the affected area suddenly increases to 8 squares (or 6 hexes). Very interesting.

Scott
p.s. Remember that it takes 2 ticks to dismiss a dismissable spell. So if you need to get away, you'll need to spend an extra 2 ticks. (or make a 5' standing broad jump.)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:39 am 

Scott I hadnt even really thought of that but your right, that does turn into funny math

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:07 pm 

Well technically I don't think they combine. My understanding is that 0' (X' Radius) is different from X' Radius, which is different from X' (Y' Radius). The first one is centered on you and has no free strikes, the 2nd is centered on you but provokes, and the 3rd is a ranged spell with an area effect. Based upon previous conversations on the board those shouldn't be able to be combined.

John

Kelb'Bakari Masalio, Dark-kin Altherian Corsair, Gentleman Archaeologist, and Wandering Bard
"The highest compliment an Altherian can pay you is to shoot you with his flintlock. It means you were worth the expense."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:21 pm 

yeah and I disagree with that, and we will have to wait for a ruling / expect table variance

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:59 pm 

Harliquinn wrote:
Well technically I don't think they combine. My understanding is that 0' (X' Radius) is different from X' Radius, which is different from X' (Y' Radius). The first one is centered on you and has no free strikes, the 2nd is centered on you but provokes, and the 3rd is a ranged spell with an area effect. Based upon previous conversations on the board those shouldn't be able to be combined.

John

John is correct on this one...

I have a HUGE clarification to advanced spells incoming

I plan to upload the new proposed errata this weekend

Paradigm Concepts
Miami, Florida

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:54 pm 

SamhainIA wrote:
yeah and I disagree with that, and we will have to wait for a ruling / expect table variance

I'm not saying whether I agree with all aspects of it, but that is just my recollection. Personally I think anything Self (X' radius), 0 (X' Radius) and X' Radius should be the same area.

John

Kelb'Bakari Masalio, Dark-kin Altherian Corsair, Gentleman Archaeologist, and Wandering Bard
"The highest compliment an Altherian can pay you is to shoot you with his flintlock. It means you were worth the expense."

Offline Profile