Last visit was: It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Character concept conundrum
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:14 pm 

Been thinking about this some more of late. I have decided to flesh out the background of my character a bit more. His mother was a Sarishan and his father a Nerothian from Canceri. Theirs was a forbidden love affair that drove them to flee to Coryan (I still need to work on the details). They defected to the Mother Church and assumed new identities. As payment for their safety, they turned their son over to the Mother Church and he has been trained/raised by the Church to be its agent. This could also be seen as a "hostage/foster" arrangement (like Game of Thrones) in case the parents were trying to infiltrate the Church.

To honor his parents faith, he will wear purple robe and a skull shaped mask. I am thinking of having the mask be made of silver and that will be his signature item. I need to look at the rules to see how much something like that would cost. From there, I think as part of his personality he will have this...obsession for lack of a better term, where if he kills a significant or worthy opponent he will decapitate them, have scarab beetles clean the skull, then have the skull coated in silver and put on display. To simulate that, I am taking ranks in Artisan: Silversmithing. More over, it would probably be jeweler as per the MRB, but hell, I am having him focus on silver because that is his thing.

So speaking of that, is there anything in the rules about silver weapons? I know 3.5 had that, but the new Arcanis system is different. I intend for some of his weapons to be silvered, again a bit of a signature for him.

Thanks for the input.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:29 am 

To my knowledge, there are currently no rules for silver weapons. Silver is not listed in the Special Materials section.

There was a discussion over on the Witch Hunter forums about silver weapons. And although it's a very different setting, some of the discussion seems fitting. Silver is really a horrible metal for most weapons. It's very soft and expensive. There are methods by which some amount of silver could be used in a weapon (alloys, fuller grooves, electroplating, etc.) but that's all pure speculation about whether or not silvered weapons are viable in this particular fantasy setting.

If you're just looking for a schtick, then I'd say pay for a fine or Exceptional weapon and describe it as having silvered inlay. If you're looking for what kind of in-game benefits a silvered weapon would have, then I don't believe that there are any rules for that.

Hope that answers your question.

Scott
p.s. I would expect silver bullets to be completely viable in Arcanis... horrendously expensive, but just as viable as the (presumably) lead shot that is commonly used.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:54 pm 

Ok, I think buying the item as "fine" would work. I am not worried about a mechanical benefit like in D&D 3.x.

How would I work out the cost of the silver skull mask? That one I could see possibly giving a +1 or something to Intimidate if it is of high enough quality. But I see nothing in the rules for how to even work out a base cost for it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:30 pm 

Hello,

As long as it is purely a role playing aide, you can USUALLY just say you have X; your silver skull mask, for example.

However, if you are looking for a tangible benefit, i.e. the +1 to Intimidate, you will either have to wait until such time as an adventure has such an item as a reward or you have a carte blanche to have an item crafted for you.

Until then I don't think you can have such an item with the mechanical effect you are looking for.

Henry Lopez
President
PCI

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:52 pm 

No worries, Henry. I am not really worried about getting mechanical benefits out of the character's signature item. I care more about pulling the concept off as I imagine it in my head. I have to wait at least 6 months to play him anway since I leave for Afghanistan in a couple of weeks. But that just gives me more time to work out the background etc.

Thanks for the quick response and I look forward to playing in the world of Arcanis once again after several years away.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:54 pm 

If you got one of the +2 addon items from the Kickstarter, you could use that for your silver skull.

Eryk Bauer - Martial Awakened 1.2

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:57 pm 

Nope. Like I said, I have been away from Arcanis so I missed the kickstarter. I appreciate the heads up, however.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:04 pm 

Hello Tom,

I'm glad you added your name to the sig file, as I didn't know it was you.

Be safe and thank you for your service!

Henry Lopez
President
PCI

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric Go to page Previous  1, 2