Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Newer Players and Newer Concepts
PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:00 pm 

Eric Hughes wrote:
I find it interesting that you built your PC off of the idea of a spear. I'm currently doing the same thing, but for the Long Spear. I took a very similar approach that you say you took. I came up with a Coryani Battle Mage as my answer. I'd be interested to see what your answer is.

Not finished but I'm strongly leaning toward the spear and shield fighting style with Equestrian background as a light cavalry that can fight dismounted as well.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:57 am 

Eric Hughes wrote:
One thing I've noticed about the newer players coming back to Arcanis, and I include myself in this group, is that we still hang on to the old concept of DnD combat roles. At the extreme end, and I've been guilty of this, is trying to build PC's that are in effect one trick, or limited trick, ponies. The system actively discourages this, but it can take some time for the stubborn of us to give up old habits. So my question for the group is how can I teach players to develop well rounded concepts start to finish?

...snip...

I'm looking for a list of talking points and generalities that the system was specifically intended to encourage, and a list of things that it actively discourages that I discuss with new players building their first PC.

Honestly let them figure it out the way we did ... Play a couple of mods and figure it out yourself. Then rebuild or change characters to fit your concept. Bullet points?

*I do believe three ranks a level in some form of "Combat" skill is important.

*For me clock management is the biggest key because I tune out if I don't act very 5-6 ticks. That's more important to my enjoyment than damage inflicted or hard control unleashed.

*The role of the healer in this game is much reduced.

I wrote out a 5-6 page essay on the world and character creation to help get my head around the new system when it came out. Really my meditation on the core of the game. PM me or email me at seahulk AT yahoo and I'll send you a copy if you are interested.

AKA Ambassador Tukufu, man of letters, tomb raider and Master Sword Sage
. . . and Sir Szymon val'Holryn, Order of the Phoenix
Formerly Sir Jaeger val'Holryn. Weilder of the Holy Avenger: Thonanos. Gave his soul to help free King Noen

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:14 am 

archangel wrote:
Eric Hughes wrote:
I find it interesting that you built your PC off of the idea of a spear. I'm currently doing the same thing, but for the Long Spear. I took a very similar approach that you say you took. I came up with a Coryani Battle Mage as my answer. I'd be interested to see what your answer is.

Not finished but I'm strongly leaning toward the spear and shield fighting style with Equestrian background as a light cavalry that can fight dismounted as well.

:::smirks:::

I have 2 characters, for those rare moments I get to sit down and play; one of them is a Spear/Shield guy...

Paradigm Concepts
Miami, Florida

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric Go to page Previous  1, 2