Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: A Big thankyou for the Arcanis Community
PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:19 pm 

I was visiting another -MAJOR- gaming website over the past two days. The topic I was following was entitled "Defining Fun". Ostensibly the Original Poster wanted to know what folks found fun about RPG's. Within just the first 12 hours the posts degenerated into a series quotes and accusations. Within 18 hours the thread was a full out flame war.

I'm telling you this not to bash the other site. But to point out something that makes the Arcanis Community different from the rest of the table top RPG world. Folks here respect each other. Even in our most heated debates we don't generate to base behavior.

I don't think that this is an accident. Rather, I believe that Arcanis:RPG and the Setting of Onara attracts a different kind of player, chiefly by rewarding friendly - i.e. non-competitive - behavior.

So, thank you all for being who you are. It has been noticed.

There once was a gnome called Oozy,
Who kissed a Yaricite floozy.
But rather than wed,
She drowned him instead,
Now he is a Yaricite toosey!

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: A Big thankyou for the Arcanis Community
PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:40 pm 

I certainly hope its true that we are a mature collection of respectful and congenial gamers.

I also think we have two extra structural benefits. One this group is small enough that many, if not most of us have sat down at tables with each other...I am sure much of the rudeness and discourtesy one finds on the web is based on anonymity. Two, we get good leadership from the moderators and Henry. They are quick to jump in if the tone goes off track. IMO many other boards have more distant staff.

Regardless I've certainly had similar thoughts over the years. Happy gaming to everyone!

AKA Ambassador Tukufu, man of letters, tomb raider and Master Sword Sage
. . . and Sir Szymon val'Holryn, Order of the Phoenix
Formerly Sir Jaeger val'Holryn. Weilder of the Holy Avenger: Thonanos. Gave his soul to help free King Noen

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:57 am 

Eric Hughes wrote:
Folks here respect each other.

So... this is a bad time to reveal that I have a plan to subjugate all of you lesser mortals because you don't think exactly as I do? :twisted:

Kidding aside, I think val Holryn highlighted 2 important points that have helped keep things civil. I've visited many sites with large member bases (most notably official sites for various things), and I find these forums are far more welcoming.

One thing I personally find very appealing and refreshing about the PCI boards (aside from the general community), is the involvement of the staff. Frequently questions on mechanics and lore are answered by Pedro and/or Henry (or at least Henry gives a horribly teasing coy remark about not revealing secrets :P ). I love it when developers/writers/etc... aren't these vague and aloof figures that sit on a metaphorical mountain top and rarely come down to interact with the community.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:38 pm 

Hello,

I agree with you, Eric - the credit for such a tight knit group falls squarely upon the shoulders of the FANTASTIC player base we have. I've mentioned this to my fellow publishers as well as anyone who'll listen - we have most intelligent, thoughtful and courteous players around (and I refer to PCI patrons, not just Arcanis).

As for being more involved in the forums and engaging with you guys, it came from having been in your shoes and having writers and other "creatives" not deign to answer basic questions or even be pleasant.

That changed when I met the great original team over at AEG (no slight on the new team, but I don't know them). Zinzer, Wick and Mindy (to name a few) were fun, pleasant and HAPPY to answer questions and engage. When we started PCI, I decided to pattern ourselves after them and its worked out pretty well since then, I think.

So thank you all again!

Henry Lopez
President
PCI

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:21 pm 

Henry,

I also think a great deal of credit goes to the system design itself. It rewards players who develop characters, not stat blocks. That compels folks to keep their gaming at a higher, less competitive level.

In another thread, you mentioned that you get scared when you see spreadsheets full of optimized probabilities. I understand your concern. It is unwarranted however. At Origin's I played a brand new 1.5 tier pc. Everyone else at the table where playing tier 2.1. Plus all the tier 2.1 pc's had an actuary (one of the players at the table) prepare statistical probabilities for every combat situation. Yes, that is optimization taken to the extreme. BUT I NEVER FELT LIKE A SUBOPTIMAL PC OR PLAYER.

Two reasons for this. First, the system can contain even the most extreme dedication to min-maxing, without leaving the typical or character based player behind. As such there is no need to Min-Max to survive, (As there was in the Old Campaign). Second, the players concerned where so involved in the Role Play Banter of the module, I didn't notice the actuarial tables until after the slot. I observe that, in an interesting way, the character creation system forced the min-maxing players to fully develop their PC personalities as a side effect of their optimization attempts.

Just thought you should know,

There once was a gnome called Oozy,
Who kissed a Yaricite floozy.
But rather than wed,
She drowned him instead,
Now he is a Yaricite toosey!

Offline Profile