Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Something I've been wondering
PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:26 pm 

Attentea wrote:
Elorii in the new game mechanics are very much flavour now... or at least that what if feels like to me. You don't pick elorii because it gives you the best build or that super awesome path that you want, you pick elorii because you want to be an elorii for story sake.
That's what disappoints me the most.

When I read this, I felt the need to make a response. The problem is, I'm not sure exactly how to say this. Please don't take this as any sort of attack. It's not meant that way. ... Isn't that the reason for anyone to pick any race/class/archetype/etc.? PCI makes no bones about it, they want the story to come first. And I think that most of us (probably yourself included) appreciate that. Sure, we all want to make choices for our characters that make them effective characters. It's never fun to sit at a table and feel as though your presence has no impact. But ultimately, it's how we place our characters within the story that's essential and should be the primary decision-making factor. There are really almost no wrong decisions. (Sure, you could do something like make an Arcane archetype and then put only a handful of skill points in your Arcanum skill. That would be silly. But aside from purposely making choices that don't fit, there are only so many ways to build.) Choosing a build because it's significantly more powerful than the norm is difficult to do. Read these forums and you see all sorts of debates about damage-per-tick and AR and such. The fact that those debates occur so frequently means that there are differing opinions about what is "more powerful." I think PCI has done a very good job of making balanced options. When you play a character, it should be because you're making a character that you will enjoy role-playing. If someone's enjoyment stems from outshining the other players, well... to each his own. But in a cooperative, storytelling game like this, I think it serves the story better to have everyone on the same playing-field. Yes, you lose a little something. (Tolkien just wouldn't be the same if his elves were just pointy-eared humans.) But you gain something as well. (Who would enjoy fighting a combat in an RPG where one race was so much more powerful than the others? Yeah, it makes for a fun 3rd-person experience. But when I can only kill 1-2 bad guys a combat and I'm surrounded by elves and rangers (AD&D anyone?) who consistently take down 4-5 times that number, I might get a bit put-off. Now, granted if I, then out shined them all in other ways, maybe it would all balance out. Maybe not.)

Anyway, I've rambled on long enough. Try this... Think of a personality that sounds exciting to you. Forget abilities. Just think personality. Then add a temperament. What kind of quirks would he/she have? Why? What scares her? Why? What would she kill for? Why? What is the most appropriate social standing for this person? After all that, then add the most appropriate race. Hopefully, this character sounds fun to you to play, regardless of ability. Good luck!

Scott

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:56 am 

Hello Scott,

DeadZone wrote:
... Isn't that the reason for anyone to pick any race/class/archetype/etc.? PCI makes no bones about it, they want the story to come first.

I couldn't have said it better myself! :D

Henry Lopez
President
PCI

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:20 pm 

PCIHenry wrote:
Hello Scott,

DeadZone wrote:
... Isn't that the reason for anyone to pick any race/class/archetype/etc.? PCI makes no bones about it, they want the story to come first.

I couldn't have said it better myself! :D

Completely agree... I built my original character in this system with the intention of him being a spy-esque character (even without taking the path). It turned out that to make that character, mechanically, he's just plain 'blah' in combat. But let me tell you, he's a hoot and a half to role play. He guy could convince the rain not to fall on him.

I always tell my new players that there are two ways to create a character:
1 - come up with a concept and bend the mechanics to that
2 - game the mechanics to be as effective in something as possible, then come up with a concept to paint on it

I always argue that #1 is more fun, if for no other reason than you've become more invested in the STORY.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:55 pm 

mith wrote:
2 - game the mechanics to be as effective in something as possible, then come up with a concept to paint on it

I always argue that #1 is more fun, if for no other reason than you've become more invested in the STORY.

I actually get more from building my characters closer to #2. Though, I don't go for the most "effective." I see a mechanic, skill, talent, or whatever and say, "Oh! I want to use that!" Then I build a character around whatever caught my eye, and mould the character around that.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:25 pm 

Hard Eight wrote:
mith wrote:

I actually get more from building my characters closer to #2. Though, I don't go for the most "effective." I see a mechanic, skill, talent, or whatever and say, "Oh! I want to use that!" Then I build a character around whatever caught my eye, and mould the character around that.

I do a lot of this as well. Though it is a very iterative process going back and forth between who would use this mechanic and what mechanics would this character use. So their personality and mechanics grow off of each other with each decision leading me to evolve who they are until I'm satisfied (normally with something completely different than what I started with in mind).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:05 pm 

Many of my characters get designed after I buy a cool mini and start thinking about who they are going to be. The mini ends up as my starting point for inspiration. Tukufu, my current main was inspired by one of the Malifaux guildsman figures with pistol and sword. Eisener was originally inspired by a mini from Animae gameline to replace the previous Nierite I had built from a the Warmachine High Paladin (Protectorate).

Out of them, the minis, I get a sense of how they fight...which informs their stats and emergent personality. From there I do the mechanics and back story. Good to go.

AKA Ambassador Tukufu, man of letters, tomb raider and Master Sword Sage
. . . and Sir Szymon val'Holryn, Order of the Phoenix
Formerly Sir Jaeger val'Holryn. Weilder of the Holy Avenger: Thonanos. Gave his soul to help free King Noen

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4