Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: What is the inspiration for your character's personality?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:22 pm 

So going on the coattails of the post about "Who is your character?", I'm wondering what inspiration people have used for their character's personality and role playing?

For Kelb' it's a little bit of a conglomeration. It's based a little on a character I played way back in 2nd Edition D&D, a bard jongleur. He was very flippant, quick witted, and tried to get out of most problems with a few coins and story. In addition, he's also geared a bit like a combination of Indiana Jones, Rick O'Connell, and Captain Jack Sparrow :)

John

Kelb'Bakari Masalio, Dark-kin Altherian Corsair, Gentleman Archaeologist, and Wandering Bard
"The highest compliment an Altherian can pay you is to shoot you with his flintlock. It means you were worth the expense."

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: What is the inspiration for your character's personality
PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:29 pm 

When I was in university I wanted to do a study on people's first RPG characters (never had a chance). I have a theory that everyone's first character is either based on how that person views themselves, or how they wish they were.

Rurik is a reincarnation of a character I played in 3.0 Living City. There has always been something for me about dwarves, I think the stability. They might not be fast or agile, but they are solid and reliable. Things that have always appealed to me. Rurik has gotten his own personality over the years, and we certain don't share all the same morals, but he certainly does have many characteristics I admire.

Wouldn't say he was directly inspired by anything specific though.

aka Rurik - Nol Dappan War Priest (Divine 2.3)
aka Karthik - Tultipetan Stonemason (Expert 1.4)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:46 pm 

Excellent idea, John!

My motivation for Marcus Decius Val'Assante was a combination, also. He is a man who wants to amass power, which he defines as "the ability to get his way". Money, favors, powers & abilities, etc. are only tools to be used for that goal. He is a huge liar. But lies are just another tool in his arsenal. He is, essentially, the man behind the curtain, but hides in plain sight. If any of his mechanizations are discovered...that might have been part of his plan all along.

I based him originally on the greatest character on Star Trek:Deep Space Nine, Garak the Cardassian tailor. I have also borrowed heavily from Mr. Gold from Once Upon A Time and Frank Underwood from House of Cards.

-general creator of mayhem and discord
-Exceptional quality PCI Minion and indentured servant
-Lord of the Hummingbirds

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:17 pm 

For my character Vincens Lerato val'Borda, the personality was defined in large part based on his flaw Haunted by Nightmares. In his case his Century was ambushed by Infernals and he became a personal plaything of one of the nastier ones for more than a day. This led to him spontaneously awakening. It's what kept him alive until being rescued. Though a legionnaire first and foremost, faith is very important to him as is music. Those are his coping mechanism for his PTSD and his lyre is always handy. I use that event as the driver for who he is now and how he looks at the world.

With a sweep of his hat,

Paul

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:14 am 

I see him as equal parts Indiana Jones and Fox Mulder with a slice of Malcolm Gladwell. Like Mulder I think some people want to write him off as a crank or intellectual light weight and others might be afraid of what uncomfortable secrets he might reveal. Yet like Indiana Jones i think others in the academic field think he's a promising scholar and a go to guy when you need the tools for the Khitani Fork Ritual buried in something like the Lost Tomb of ul'Wei Xiao.

AKA Ambassador Tukufu, man of letters, tomb raider and Master Sword Sage
. . . and Sir Szymon val'Holryn, Order of the Phoenix
Formerly Sir Jaeger val'Holryn. Weilder of the Holy Avenger: Thonanos. Gave his soul to help free King Noen

Last edited by val Holryn on Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:10 pm 

I have based my character, High Inquisitor Alberico val'Assante (w/ the Corrupt Flaw) on about 10 modern political and religious figures with a little LAPD thrown in combined with the sensibilities of 'Game of Thrones' machinations. . :-) His 'loyal retainer' is a heretic who he literally pulled out of the fires and tends to do Alberico's 'dirty work' (rumor spreading, evidence planting, etc.). All in all, a fun character to play.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:26 pm 

Haakon isn't based on anyone in particular, but rather is my impression of a Coryani Paladin. He tries to do the right thing, but the right thing through the lens of the Coryani Nierite temple. This is not necessarily the same thing as the "Knight in Shining Armour" paladin, so most of my 'character' is me trying to reconcile the personality traits I'm trying to balance out.

Haakon Marcus val'Virdan, Divine Holy Judge of Nier
Ruma val'Vasik, Martial Crusader and Master of the Spear
Jorma Osterman, Arcane Coryani Battlemage

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:55 am 

My first (Arcanis) character was based on the party's need.

They lacked a thief-type and smooth talker. I wanted to play a Kio. So, I found the stats that matched the need, and came up with the backstory and personality to fit the rather odd combination of the need with the want.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:00 pm 

My main character, Ss'agoth, is a Ss'ressen Templar and I encountered a lot of the problems building his personality that Cody outlined in his last essay: how to come up with a personality for such an alien mind.

In the end, he is very single-minded and pragmatic. Survive to protect The Clutch, obey and honor the Tenants of the Fire Dragon, protect the party to survive. I think he's mostly amused by the level of emotions many mammals exhibit while at the same time trying to mimic them in order to engender feelings of goodwill towards himself and Ss'ressen in general. This makes it easy to have emotions as a Player and not be this cold, logical being.

My secondary character is Malthius val'Inares, Sanctorum Mage. He's very Eeyore-like in personality and I have to be very careful when roleplaying as I've accidentally been making the rest of the players more depressed. He's biding his time, for what, he doesn't know. In the meantime, as a practitioner of the Arcane, he has to protect himself Harvesters for whatever ultimate purpose he has.

Out of character, we all know the val'Inares disappear and go somewhere, if they live long enough. I picture that as some itch in the back of their mind that grows stronger with age.

Primary: Ss'agoth - Templar of The Fire Dragon 1.1
Secondary: Mathius val'Inares - Sanctorum Mage 1.1

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:13 am 

I have played Vardish Val'Borda in 3.0, 3.5 and now Arcanis RPG and he has evolved over each of the inceptions. We remade characters for each version. The original he was just a rogue and I had never really played one before so he pretty much was your typical rogue. The second incarnation he became a Twilight Warrior, and by the end of the game he acted more like Batman. He was a mix of the Dark Knight and the Detective. The newest incarnation he is a Expert with the background of Templar. Haven't gotten much into his personality yet, but he will most likely start as Batman and go from there.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric Go to page 1, 2  Next