Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Aight, no number here. who you?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:01 pm 

So uh, who are you? Are you your Character, or is your character a separate person from you?

Some times the character I have is me, "Vox Igueses Val'Holryn" was one of those characters, and he was pretty fun to play, but I would wager that very few people remember much about him, he did his job very well but had no personality other than mine.

Delbert on the other hand is a person very separate from me, but he still has a lot of personality traits from me, his personality is very memorable and pretty infectious. Infectious to the point of other people slipping into his dialect at the table.

Delbert is based on a real person that means a lot to me, and He makes decisions based on what I think the real life person would say and do (most of the time).

SO tell us who are you, and Who is your character?

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Aight, no number here. who you?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:19 pm 

Well, I'm obviously not a dark-kin, but there is a lot of me in Kelb' and vice versa. I tend to be an outgoing person most of the time, and that's how I play Kelb'. As I don't really have a secondary of any prominence, I tend to grow attached to the main character I play.

I've always envisioned myself a 'bard' in real life and they are usually my favorite type of character to play. I also enjoy playing 'against type'. So a dark-kin legally allowed to carry a flintlock was a cool concept that I started with. I think bards are magical so I wanted some type of magical abilities, and of course flashy and unusual combat.

I see Kelb' as a 'face' of the organizations he's a part of, even if it might not be the best possible thing for the organization. He loves proving himself in the face of adversity and I really enjoyed the few Crusade modules where my race mattered (Tir Betoq was a great one!). He really is a 'good guy' but a little bit of a scoundrel as well who can justify almost any action.

I hope he comes across this way when I RP, though sometimes the makeup of a table can be difficult. I struggle sometimes between doing what I truly believe he would do and not wanting to cause a problem for the table. I try to make sure everyone has fun at a table, even if it means I have to take a step back.

Anyways, not sure if this is what you were going for Josh :)

John

Kelb'Bakari Masalio, Dark-kin Altherian Corsair, Gentleman Archaeologist, and Wandering Bard
"The highest compliment an Altherian can pay you is to shoot you with his flintlock. It means you were worth the expense."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:07 am 

I think that characters are always an aspect of the person playing them....consciously or not. I am nowhere near the verbal communicator that Marcus Decius is. But that is something I have always wanted to improve upon. I generally express myself much better through written word. However, I am a tactician and make "plans within plans" when the need arises.

As to my upcoming secondary (the Agamassi)....he will definitely embody a much scarier and primal side of me that I have worked hard to suppress. He will be a bloodthirsty warrior who would much rather kill the objects of his annoyance rather than "make nice".

-general creator of mayhem and discord
-Exceptional quality PCI Minion and indentured servant
-Lord of the Hummingbirds

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:59 am 

Good question!

All my favorite characters to play have had an "outside viewpoint" that I based them on. In the Living City campaign Roland von Fahrenheit was based on Sean Conery's performance in the Untouchables & the Dorsai characters from Dickson's novels ... Someone who could be defeated or killed but never conquered. Daniel Oliver Abernathy (DOA) in the Victorian era Living Death campaign was based on Val Kilmer portrayal of Doc Holiday. Adonis Valentine, paladin of Sune started out as a joke and got me hooked on playing holy warriors. In a home campaign here in Portland my failed assassin hiding as a bard, Nepethes, was based on all the undergrad work I did on life behind the Iron Curtain and the spys from John LeCarre (as opposed to say James Bond) and the book the Captive Mind by Czeslav Milosz...possibly my all time favorite character to play.

Okay, In Arcanis Jaeger val Holryn was a spiritual descendant of Adonis ... Someone who would be true paladin of Hurrian. Doing the right thing "in the moment" regardless of who it might anger or what the broader consequences were. But as the campaign went on he definitely became increasingly jaded. Still he gave his soul to help undo the horrible crime committed by Aenaes val'Assante. Which is a good point as well ... All my good characters are real enough in my mind to be capable of growth.

In this iteration Tukufu val Holryn, that esteemed "Ambassador " of Altheria is currently my favorite character to play. He clearly draws (to me) in equal measure from Indiana Jones and Fox Milder from the X-Files. Of course I'm also a fan of PBS series History Detectives so physically I see him as a younger version of one of the stars of the show: Tukufu Zuberei. My Tukufu is both more cheerful and more trusting that "things turn out okay" than I am in real life. To me Tukufu is young enough that he's never really fallen on his face and still kind of thinks of himself as a golden boy who might achieve anything. Of course as a man who has survived the crusade and stuck his sword in Uhxbractit ...and lived to tell the tale...he certainly has some bragging rights over the common scholar. Maybe he's right?

AKA Ambassador Tukufu, man of letters, tomb raider and Master Sword Sage
. . . and Sir Szymon val'Holryn, Order of the Phoenix
Formerly Sir Jaeger val'Holryn. Weilder of the Holy Avenger: Thonanos. Gave his soul to help free King Noen

Offline Profile