Last visit was: It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Exploding Dice Maths
PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:10 pm 

Because I had to enumerate the dice rolls on Action Dice, there's no good way to build in the calculated values above for Action Rolls. However, I might be able to fudge it.

For instance, it's impossible to roll a '4' on a d4 Attribute, since rolling a 4 requires you to re-roll and the minimum you get is 5. Therefore, if I change the expected value of the maximum roll for each die type to the Maximum Value + Average Value (With Exploding), that might give a more accurate result. It's way too much enumeration to include the exploding die results as well since it's limitless.

Will see how it goes.

John

Kelb'Bakari Masalio, Dark-kin Altherian Corsair, Gentleman Archaeologist, and Wandering Bard
"The highest compliment an Altherian can pay you is to shoot you with his flintlock. It means you were worth the expense."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:37 pm 

paying more attention to maximum damage is kinda dangerous, even with out exploding dice
2d6 = 7, where 1d12 = 6.5

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:46 pm 

Not sure what you're saying. I was indicating that to compute the probability of beating a specific TN with an Action Roll (2d10 + dX), I enumerated all the possibilities. Otherwise, the calculation gets too messy and used summations, etc. Exploding dice throws a wrench in the works :)

John

Kelb'Bakari Masalio, Dark-kin Altherian Corsair, Gentleman Archaeologist, and Wandering Bard
"The highest compliment an Altherian can pay you is to shoot you with his flintlock. It means you were worth the expense."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:23 pm 

added a some more stuff to the spread sheet

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:46 pm 

Harliquinn wrote:
Not sure what you're saying. I was indicating that to compute the probability of beating a specific TN with an Action Roll (2d10 + dX), I enumerated all the possibilities. Otherwise, the calculation gets too messy and used summations, etc. Exploding dice throws a wrench in the works :)

John
John,

Found these links...
This (http://topps.diku.dk/torbenm/troll.msp) is a tool that can run dice simulations and compute statistical probabilities for complex dice rolls. Try using this as the die roll formula
Code:
sum (accumulate y:=d6 while y=6) + sum (2d10)
This will roll 2d10 plus an exploding d6. If you click on the calculate probabilities button you'll get a histogram of results.

This was written by Torben Mogensen, a CS professor at DIKU. He also wrote a 29-page paper, "Dice Rolling Mechanisms in RPGs," (http://www.diku.dk/hjemmesider/ansatte/torbenm/Troll/RPGdice.pdf)in which he discusses many of the dice rolling mechanisms implemented by Troll and some of the mathematics behind them. If you read section 3.4, "Open ended rolls" you'll see a formula to calculate the average of an exploding die.

Hope you find it useful!

Scott

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric Go to page Previous  1, 2