Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Hey Elorii
PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:36 am 

SamhainIA wrote:
Now I just really like to give them a hard time, and you know corrupt their morals with Delberts charming actions (Right Brandy?)

My cert will forever say that Arii speaks Delbert, and nobody will ever let me forget.
I still don't know how that happened.

"Nobody can carry My Burden but me---unfortunately."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:29 pm 

(striving to avoid spoiler info for if/when the adventure is released for home play)

Devin, I hope you can understand and appreciate the IC reactions any non-elorii had/have to that whole string of events.

First off, if there was full disclosure about the 'eating elemental souls' aspect, that would have been helpful. But that aspect was a 'secret' being passed around between the elorii, and that in and of itself is not exactly something many characters may respect or respond well to. I find it ironic (and amusing) you claim to not want to participate in this 'alternate name' thing because of the impression it may leave, but you are fine with orchestrating volunteers for this other thing that will cost any other creature/race more than just its live by 'forgetting to share' some key information.

Alternately, in light of the elorii's end-goal objective (as a race), you should not be surprised that you getting up and making a surprise announcement might not be perceived by others as the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth (which in fact it turned out to not be!).

Lastly, when the response to that ritual comes back to haunt our world, my character will expect the elorii involved will be in the front of the line to deal with it again and make their sacrifice. I am doubtful that is the last we've heard of that whole situation. Consequences for actions, and all that.....

And if/when some Coryani characters do something as dastardly, we'll deal with that, then. But I'm not accepting the "I know you are but what am I?!" distraction as a valid response ;)

and
~ Sestia Gracchi, of Grand Coryan

Last edited by frzntundra4 on Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:43 pm 

Hands Rick his I'lhuan in coryani trappings action figure

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:57 pm 

1) I like the idea of the 'secret name', but I grew up around First Nation's people, and have worked with a number of Asian people who have 'white person names' and 'real names' in their native/traditional language. To me, having an Elorii take a "Human" name, or even a title while wandering around human lands seems reasonable to me. Will everyone do it? Probably not, but I see nothing wrong with the practice myself.

2) Am I irritated by the Elorii hiding stuff from me? I (me) do not think I could care less about it. Most of this stuff comes from a LARP, and though I've only participated in 2 LARPs the whole "people have secrets and shit" seems to be the whole thing. As such, I personally am cool with it. I might feel like I was outmaneuvered and be irritated by that fact, but like when someone takes one of my routes in the Ticket to Ride boardgame, I am irritated at the time, but I know it is only a game.

However, I will say that Haakon (my character) does not trust Elorii particularly because of this. I will still play the Lawful Good (through the Coryani lens of those terms) religious zealot and heal an Elorii ally and deal with them, but that doesn't mean that I'm going to trust them any further than I have to. If you keep vital information from me (read: him), and then reveal it at the last minute after dozens of people (read: humans) die, you come across as a monster in the eyes of many.

3) As to the Elorii specifically saying "Hey, do not volunteer, your life is more precious than any Humans", that actually make a LOT of sense to me both IC and OOC. IC, we know that Elorii lives indeed ARE precious. Henry has stated before that there is only a limited number of Elorii Souls (the exact number escapes me), so every one lost is a terrible price on par in many ways to the destruction of a Dwarven Soulshard. This is why the Kurenthe is viewed as such an abomination among the Elorii. To that end, even the most 'brave' Elorii would have a religious and cultural imperative not to do anything which could damage their soul. If all that was at stake was their body, they'd probably be the first to volunteer (yay recycling), but the soul is another thing entirely.

OOC. . . well, the Elorii players generally play the abused minority role that I have noticed, and when you are an abused minority sacrificing yourself to make your abused minority even MORE of a minority probably isn't the best tactic. After all, if more human-kin die off, there is a greater chance that their NEXT character will be an Elorii if for no other reason that variety. Does this mean people who play Elorii are bad people? By no means! However, as I've seen in other games where people gravitate towards minor powers or powers that have a history of getting kicked down, the people who become fans of those races tend to focus on THAT aspect and will become more. . . machiavellian about how they play the character because they view that as more 'authentic'. (in Battletech, the good example of this is certain Capellan players that I've met)

Haakon Marcus val'Virdan, Divine Holy Judge of Nier
Ruma val'Vasik, Martial Crusader and Master of the Spear
Jorma Osterman, Arcane Coryani Battlemage

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:50 pm 

I hope no one is thinking I (Rick) am grumpy at any player of an elorri character. I have participated in about 817 different forms of larps ties to about a dozen 'living' campaigns, so I fully understand the notion of being out-maneuvered, etc. and am fine with it (as long as the playing field is level). As a player, I do have some questions about how some aspects of what happened in that event occurred... ...and I can bring those up with Tony in another place.

My chiding of Devin is all based on the beliefs and reactions of my character, so no one should take it any other way. My character, being friends with one of the 'sacrifices' is not pleased with what happened, and thinks the vagaries and lack of transparency is quite revealing, and damning. He won't be forgetting it, either.

It seems hard (to me) to understand how a PC from any other race can even passingly trust the elorii. Their racial objective is not very happy/positive for others, especially not the vals, humans, and dwarves. Its hard to trust that.
I don't feel I have a good handle on what is known IC about the whole 'recycling' of the elorii souls. If/when it becomes known what the elorii know/knew and what other characters/races know about the subject, it should (and justifiably so, imo) go even farther to make a schism between the races. It screams of even more convoluted plots and manipulations.

And Cody, I find your acceptance of the elorii's 'plight' interesting. But then, aren't you engaged to a nice young lady playing one of the more angry elorii PCs in the campaign? ;)

and

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:39 pm 

@Rick, I assumed you were starting another anti elorii thread. Mad because some elorii got some you character killed. Most of these discussions condem elorii for things all players do. Ostracizing the elorii for playing the same rivalry games as everyone else. We can play Arcanis, you just need to sit back and watch meat shields. I'm sorry if anything left a bad taste in your mouth. I feel in and out of character I conveyed that those characters would die. So I'm sorry if your character feels that way, I don't know where that's coming from. If it were a general an elorii got my friend killed I'd understand that. Any talk of elorii being asked not to step up, how would your character know that in influence him?

You talk about how can anyone trust an elorii, I can see that. As a human(y) PC, the thought of how could they not be plotting vengeance would be in my mind. The thought that they may be paranoid that our gods will come for their last would be in my mind. "How could they forgive us or our gods, I would not them and their gods. I would raise my son to avenge the gods, and they their sons."

@Cody : What was kept for you?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:58 pm 

deviknyte wrote:
Any talk of elorii being asked not to step up, how would your character know that in influence him?

My character knows about what the elorii characters were told to not do because there was an elorii character at my table and she told us about the 'secret elorii only meeting' on the matter.

and

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:33 pm 

frzntundra4 wrote:
deviknyte wrote:
Any talk of elorii being asked not to step up, how would your character know that in influence him?

My character knows about what the elorii characters were told to not do because there was an elorii character at my table and she told us about the 'secret elorii only meeting' on the matter.
Fair enough.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:59 pm 
As to the topic, I did that for while as was appropriate.

As for Elorii and secrets and lies..?
:lol:

If you can't trust someone, don't fight with them.
I wouldn't, and I don't. Somehow I'm still heroic anyway. 8-)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric Go to page Previous  1, 2