Last visit was: It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Customized Advanced Spells
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:03 am 

My thinking on order of damage is as follows:

With the base inertial shield spell as it functions as a tower shield, the extra avoidance means that if it hits in that sweet spot, you got the shield up and in the way. Attacks in general that got past the avoidance meant folks got around the shield. With the sundering though I always envisioned it as the cinematic shield is raised and the blow is so powerful it goes right through the shield. Maybe that's just talking to Pedro too much about how he envisions things for the coolness factor. :)

Because of the way I picture it, the AR of the character does not factor into calculating the excess of passive arcanum. The shield is impacted before ever reaching the character.

With the advanced spell, the spell by definition is expecting to take the brunt of the beating. I picture this as a bit of overlapping fields, with the Ward portion extending from the ground out and around all of the character including the inertial shield. I have it going outside the inertial shield as a single spell the effects are intertwined and one drops the other. Because it's outside the inertial shield or flowing through it, the AR of the Ward applies. The AR of the character again does not.

If the two spells were cast but separately, I would rule that the inertial shield is outside the ward helping the ward not get hit. Each could be taken down separately, or potentially both with a massive hit.

Not saying those are necessarily right, just the way I think about them.

With a sweep of his hat,

Paul

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:27 am 

Hat
I think you've summed it up nicely and I agree. I'll likely change the way I've done my own Inertial Shield now. *raises fist* Darn you!

John

Kelb'Bakari Masalio, Dark-kin Altherian Corsair, Gentleman Archaeologist, and Wandering Bard
"The highest compliment an Altherian can pay you is to shoot you with his flintlock. It means you were worth the expense."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:54 am 

Dante wrote:
I mostly agree with John B.'s prior post, but I think that any AR from the Ward should not affect whether the "damage dealt" is enough to bypass the caster's passive Arcanum. Still, some of you know the rules better than I. I'm looking at each component spell's weaknesses and applying them both.

I agree with John B's interpretation. Your personal armor applies (at least I've always seen it applied) to Inertial Shield so I assume the armor from Ward of Shielding would apply. However, the spell could be more precise.

Eryk Bauer - Martial Awakened 1.2

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:31 pm 

Ward of Shielding against the Unnatural (Advanced) - by David Thomas Chappell
Source: Sarishan Sorcerer-Priest
Category: Advanced
Base Spells: Ward against the Unnatural + Ward of Shielding
CTN: 24
Speed (Strain): 3 (+4)
Range: Self
Duration: Scene (Special)
With some arcane words, you envelop yourself in a protective ward of shielding that protects against unnatural beings and absorbs incoming energy.
Effect: This is an advanced form of a basic spell for the warding of a space against certain types of “unnatural” creatures or beings, such as Undead, Shades (Spirits), or Infernals.
The Ward can only be used to protect the spellcaster's immediate area of space. The sorcerer-priest may inscribe his immediate area (usually with salt, but chalk, sand or even wax will do), and then quickly blesses it with his Holy Symbol to enact the Ward. When sealing the Ward, the sorcerer-priest infuses the Ward with his faith and specifies what type of unnatural entity the Ward is meant to stop. Once erected, the Ward acts as a barrier that will prevent any beings of the specified type from harming, in any way, the spellcaster, unless they are able to Push Through (see below).
Also, this Ward will absorb 10 points of damage before it is destroyed. This ward will allow you to cast spells or make physical attacks without negating the Ward’s defensive properties. However, once the Ward is erected, you may not move or else the Ward will end.
Once established, the sorcerer-priest does not have to continue to concentrate on the Ward for it to remain effective.
However, if anything disturbs the inscription, such as wiping away the chalk line or sweeping away the salt so as to break the circle, the Ward is immediately rendered useless.
Restriction: This spell works only on you and may not be cast on any other Target under any circumstances.
Pushing Through: Normally a Ward will keep its intended Target type from breaking through into the warded area, but there are some creature so stubborn (or powerful) that they may attempt to cross through the barrier through a simple act of Will. To do so, the entity must succeed in Mettle: Perseverance (Re) Action Skill Roll against the caster’s Passive Arcanum Value. If an individual Target Pushes Through successfully, it does not end the spell but allows that individual creature to bypass the Ward entirely. Note: Without Pushing Through, the entity warded against cannot do anything to disrupt the warded area, such as push a statue over the Ward to break the circle, etc.
Adaptation: Increase the CTN by 3 and Strain by 1 to add an additional 10 points of damage absorption to the Ward. This adaptation may be applied multiple times.
Adaptation: Increase CTN by 6, Speed and Strain 3 to add an additional type of entity to ward against. If this increase then requires an Arcanum Action Skill Roll, an unsuccessful roll means that the Ward is ruined and the priest must start again from scratch.
Adaptation: Sarishan Sorcerer-priests enjoy a +2 bonus to their Passive Arcanum Value for Wards against Infernals.

Note that applying adaptations to both component base spells can lead to subsumed extra Strain because the adaptation can be applied before combining the spells, at which point the Strain of the shorter spell is irrelevant.

Amadi val'Abebi - Monk of Althares
Talathos - choleric Kelekene dabbler

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:44 pm 

Paralyzing Mental Scream (Advanced) - by David Thomas Chappell
Source: Psionic
Base Spells: Halt + Mental Scream
CTN: 30
Speed (Strain): 6 (+6)
Range: 30’ (1 Target)
Duration: Instant
Defense: Discipline
You release a paralyzing mental scream that pierces the skull of a foe.
Effect: This spell deals (Primary) damage which bypasses all AR granted by both worn and natural armor.
Furthermore, upon your Target’s next action he may not move for 6 Ticks as he simply forgets he can move. He may still act normally, cast spells, attack with weapons, but he simply cannot move. If a Target is subject to this power twice within the same Scene, or if remaining still will intrinsically cause him bodily harm (such as under a falling rock), he may perform an Athletics (Re) Action Skill Roll against your Passive Arcanum Value to resist this power.
Restriction: This spell does not affect Spirits, Constructs, or Elementals.
Adaptation: Increase the CTN by 3 and the Strain by 2; a Target whose Fortitude was surpassed has its Clock Pushed d4.
Adaptation: Increase the CTN by 2 to increase the spell’s range by 30’. This Adaptation may be applied multiple times.
Adaptation: Increase the CTN by 4 and Strain by 1 to add a d4 damage die. This Adaptation may be applied multiple times, each time applying a Die Bump to the damage die.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 2:14 am 

Elemental Ward of Shielding (Elemental Ward + Ward of Shielding)
Source: Sorcerer-Priest
Tradition: Wards [Tier I] or Elemental [Tier II] PLUS Wards [Tier I]
CTN: 24
Speed (Strain): 3 (+3)
Duration: Scene (or until maximum amount of damage is absorbed)
Effect: You gain AR: 10 against an element chosen as when you cast the spell. You may change elements as a Complex skill action. Also, the ward will absorb 10 points of damage (of any type) before it is destroyed. This ward will allow you to cast spells or make physical attacks without negating the Ward’s defensive properties.
Special (Restriction): This spell only works for you and may not be cast on any other Target under any circumstances.
Special (Limitation): If you move from the spot where you were when you cast this Ward, it vanishes.
Adaptation: Increase the CTN by 3 and Strain by 1 to increase the elemental AR provided by this spell by 5.
Adaptation: Increase the CTN by 3 and Strain by 1 to add an additional 10 points of damage absorption to the Ward. This adaptation may be applied multiple times.

Analysis: Compare this advanced spell with equal CTN (24) and Strain (+3) for a Ward of Shielding, which would increase it's damage-absorbing capability from 10 to 30 Stamina. It seems that unless you're taking lots of damage from multiple sources (or every tick) from an elemental source, a beefed-up Ward of Shielding is usually better.

Last edited by Dante on Sat Nov 07, 2015 2:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 2:15 am 

Retributive Ward of Shielding (Retributive Ward + Ward of Shielding)
Source: Sorcerer-Priest or Psionics
Tradition: (Wards [Tier II] PLUS Wards [Tier I]) or (Kinetics [Tier IV] PLUS Kinetics [Tier II])
CTN: 26
Speed (Strain): 3 (+6)
Duration: Scene (or until triggered or until maximum amount of damage is absorbed)
Effect: This Ward wraps around you until you are successfully struck by a melee attack. When triggered, the attacking creature suffers d4 (Primary) Stamina damage and is thrown back 10’. If the attacker is thrown into an object, both the attacker and the object suffer damage for falling the distance the attacker traveled.
Also, the Ward will protect you and absorb 10 points of damage before it is destroyed.
This ward will allow you to cast spells or make physical attacks without negating the Ward’s defensive properties.
Restriction: This spell only works on you and may not be cast on any other Target under any circumstances.
Restriction: Once the Ward is erected, you may not move without dispelling the ward.
Adaptation: Increase the CTN by 6, Speed and Strain by 2 to add an additional “charge” to the Ward, allowing its retributive effect to be triggered twice before the ward dispelled.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 2:23 am 

Retributive Elemental Aura (Elemental Aura + Retributive Ward)
Source: Sorcerer-Priest, Eldritch, or Psionics (val'Virdan)
Tradition: Elemental [Tier II], or Heritage (val’Virdan), Wards [Tier III] PLUS Wards [Tier II], Battle [Tier III], or Kinetics [Tier IV]
CTN: 28
Speed (Strain): 3 (+8)
Duration: Scene (or until triggered or shattered)
A ring of elemental power and kinetic energy forms around you to protect from incoming foes.
Effect: When you cast this spell, choose an element (Earth, Air, Fire, or Water). You are instantly surrounded in an energy aura of that type which deals d8 elemental damage plus d4 + (Primary) kinetic damage to the attacker when you are successfully struck in melee. Moreover, the attacking creature is thrown back 10'. If the attacker is thrown into an object, both the attacker and the object suffer damage for falling the distance the attacker traveled.
If you are attacked by an effect of the opposing element (someone with a fire aura being attacked by water for example), roll your primary casting die and reduce the damage suffered by that amount. This effectively shatters your Elemental Aura and ends the spell.
This spell can be triggered only once before it is dispelled.
Restriction: You must already have an available source of the chosen element somewhere adjacent, unless you are capable of producing it yourself (for example, a val’Virdan casting a fire spell).
Special (Heritage: val’Virdan only): The faithful of Nier and the val’Virdan may only utilize the fire version of this spell, but do not need a source of fire to do so.
Adaptation: Increase the CTN by 9 and Strain by 1 to apply a Die Bump to the elemental damage die. This Adaptation may be applied multiple times.
Adaptation: Increase the CTN by 6, Speed and Strain by 2 to add an additional “charge” to the Ward, allowing it to be triggered twice before dispelled.

Analysis: Comparing the above to just Retributive Ward, its usefulness depends on whether the spellcaster wants to immediately cast more spells. If not, then this advanced version is definitely better. However, if the spellcaster will continue to burn through strain, then the advanced version gives the caster an extra 6 points of strain damage in return for dealing an additional d8 damage to a foe (with minor potential for absorbing some elemental damage), or 2d8 or more if adapted with high CTN. Thus, it is mostly wothwhile for strain-burning magicians when adapted to last for two charges.

Last edited by Dante on Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 2:27 am 

Master & Refresh Thy Body (Master Thyself + Refresh the Body)
Source: Psionic
CTN: 25
Speed (Strain): 4 (+8)
Duration: Instant
Options:
  • Ignore Pain + Heal
    [Analysis: If the psion is going to cast more spells immediately and burn through strain, this combo causes 14 more points of stamina drain than just Master Thyself, yet it yields only d4+(Primary) healing, which is a losing proposition. Thus, this combo is worthwhile if and only if the caster does not burn through strain afterwards.]
  • Quicken Recovery + Heal
  • Rationalize Terror + Heal

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:01 am 
Unrelated but as a non-Caster I completely hate Ward. Show me a way to get my Martial-ass 10+ stamina and DR that I can refresh at will and I might think it's "balanced."

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next