Last visit was: It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Customized Advanced Spells
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:48 am 

Ward of Inertial Shield.

Invalid, as the spells must be the same Source to combine.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:03 pm 

Southernskies wrote:
Ward of Inertial Shield.

Invalid, as the spells must be the same Source to combine.

Both spells are in Wards and Kinetics, so either Psionics or Sorcerer-Priest could do it.

John

Kelb'Bakari Masalio, Dark-kin Altherian Corsair, Gentleman Archaeologist, and Wandering Bard
"The highest compliment an Altherian can pay you is to shoot you with his flintlock. It means you were worth the expense."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:16 pm 

Is that correct in effect for how they combine? If you missed ve do you only loose part of the spell or the whole spell? If you take enough damage to bring down one part of the spell does the rest stay up?

AKA Ambassador Tukufu, man of letters, tomb raider and Master Sword Sage
. . . and Sir Szymon val'Holryn, Order of the Phoenix
Formerly Sir Jaeger val'Holryn. Weilder of the Holy Avenger: Thonanos. Gave his soul to help free King Noen

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:43 pm 

Damage exceedig would destroy the entire spell.

aka Rurik - Nol Dappan War Priest (Divine 2.3)
aka Karthik - Tultipetan Stonemason (Expert 1.4)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:05 pm 

Indeed, it is one spell because it is made to be an advanced spell, which means that if one part goes down, it ALL goes down.

Haakon Marcus val'Virdan, Divine Holy Judge of Nier
Ruma val'Vasik, Martial Crusader and Master of the Spear
Jorma Osterman, Arcane Coryani Battlemage

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:27 pm 

Thanks for the critiques and fixes on Ward of Inertial Shielding, fellow players! I posted the spell both to share it and to get feedback since I'm inexperienced on creating advanced spells. I have fixed and edited the post based on these constructive comments. Having either part end making the whole thing end does limit the advanced spell's usefulness, but the time improvement could still make it worthwhile. Being able to adapt the combined spell as binding is extra nice for those spellcasters who can make the CTN and don't otherwise have a binding spell up--admittedly a binding spell that's ruined if you move, but that's still some nice extra protection while sleeping.

From a strategy viewpoint on using the advanced spell, do you think it's more worthwhile to increase one's avoidance or damage absorption? Both adaptations have the same increase to CTN.

Also seeking clarification for the clause from Inerial Shield, "If any single attack deals more damage [...]" should that mean damage before or after the absorption? I could read it either way, but based on other use of the term "dealing damage" in the rules, I believe it means total damage as rolled by the attacker (gross) and not the Stamina damage taken after AR and other absorption (net).
Also, when the ward/shield is destroyed by large damage dealt in one attack, will it still absorb that damage, or will the ward be destroyed before damage absorption occurs? I think the ward should still absorb damage that attack since the +1 Avoidance still applied to that blow in the original spell. If the damage absorption were to end immediately on a large attack before the damage is absorbed, the same reasoning would mean that an Inerial Shield should not count its bonus to Avoidance if the damage dealt would have been great enough if the bonus had not been in place.
What do ARPG rules experts think?

Amadi val'Abebi - Monk of Althares
Talathos - choleric Kelekene dabbler

Last edited by Dante on Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:23 am, edited 6 times in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:38 pm 

Unless you already have a good Avoidance, I always vote damage absorption. You likely will not be able to boost your avoidance by enough to really avoid the big hits.

Haakon Marcus val'Virdan, Divine Holy Judge of Nier
Ruma val'Vasik, Martial Crusader and Master of the Spear
Jorma Osterman, Arcane Coryani Battlemage

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:28 pm 

R order of resolution should be:

1) Attacker rolls attack roll which needs to meet/exceed Avoidance (counting Inertial Shield)
2) Attacker rolls total damage
3) Damage is applied to the Ward of Shielding minus any AR on the Ward
4a) If Ward absorbs all damage without any overflow and this damage is under the caster's Passive Arcanum, the caster takes no damage and track damage to Ward (nothing else happens)
4a) If Ward absorbs all damage without any overflow and this damage is equal to or greater than the caster's Passive Arcanum, the caster takes no damage and the Advanced spell ends
4c) If Ward absorbs more damage than it has left, caster takes the overflow damage and the Advanced Spell ends

I think his is correct

Kelb'Bakari Masalio, Dark-kin Altherian Corsair, Gentleman Archaeologist, and Wandering Bard
"The highest compliment an Altherian can pay you is to shoot you with his flintlock. It means you were worth the expense."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:26 am 

I mostly agree with John B.'s prior post, but I think that any AR from the Ward should not affect whether the "damage dealt" is enough to bypass the caster's passive Arcanum. Still, some of you know the rules better than I. I'm looking at each component spell's weaknesses and applying them both.

Amadi val'Abebi - Monk of Althares
Talathos - choleric Kelekene dabbler

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:37 am 

Dante wrote:
I mostly agree with John B.'s prior post, but I think that any AR from the Ward should not affect whether the "damage dealt" is enough to bypass the caster's passive Arcanum. Still, some of you know the rules better than I. I'm looking at each component spell's weaknesses and applying them both.

I've always played Inertial Shield as the AR you wear or have naturally affects the damage dealt to bypass Inertial Shield normally, so I see no reason the Ward AR wouldn't apply. If this isn't the case, then I would agree the Ward's AR won't apply.

John

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next