Last visit was: It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Customized Advanced Spells
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 10:07 am 

No they don't use the Rapid Spell adaption, but if they read this may be something the want to try. This version is usually only used to clear packs of minions and heal the "tank" or some other seriously injured party member. They mainly use it with the 30' (10' radius) adaption.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 10:10 am 

wisper wrote:
No they don't use the Rapid Spell adaption, but if they read this may be something the want to try. This version is usually only used to clear packs of minions and heal the "tank" or some other seriously injured party member. They mainly use it with the 30' (10' radius) adaption.

I'm just surprised they don't lose the spell at least from time to time given the speed 7 makes it interruptable. Seemes like a good choice for a minion sweeper, though not sure how much stamina you end up getting though. I forget how low stamina and pound of flesh interact.

With a sweep of his hat,

Paul

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 10:23 am 

Ummmm. . . What type of caster gets both those spells? Remember that you cannot form advanced spells between Arcanums.

Haakon Marcus val'Virdan, Divine Holy Judge of Nier
Ruma val'Vasik, Martial Crusader and Master of the Spear
Jorma Osterman, Arcane Coryani Battlemage

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 10:30 am 

Nierite wrote:
Ummmm. . . What type of caster gets both those spells? Remember that you cannot form advanced spells between Arcanums.

Even if the spell is earned through Exotic Spell Talent? Player is Beltanian Healer and gained Pound of Flesh from Extoric Spell. She learned it from a player.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 11:20 am 

. . . I'm not sure how exactly this is working. The only way to gain 'non-standard spells' from your set arcanum is through a Path, Background, or through campaign certification which expressly allows it. You cannot say "Hmmm. . . I like this spell from this completely unrelated Arcanum source. YOINK!!"

Haakon Marcus val'Virdan, Divine Holy Judge of Nier
Ruma val'Vasik, Martial Crusader and Master of the Spear
Jorma Osterman, Arcane Coryani Battlemage

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 11:57 am 

A few points as I went back and looked at the details.

1. I'm pretty certain that you can't make an advance spell from 2 base Theurgy spells. Under Theurgy there's a note stating "Theurgy does not permit any innovation or deviation beyond those Adaptations already present in the description of the Cant. As a result, the effects brought forth by the Cants are predictable and relatively quick." (A:RPG 342) I'd be happy to be wrong as I can certainly make some interesting spell combinations that way, but I don't think I am.

2. It is impossible to have access to both the Necromancy and Benediction Traditions within a single character. Necromancy requires Arcane (Primal), while Benediction requires Divine (Theurgy). I can think of only 1 way to have those two spells on the same character and even that's frowned on.

3. Making advanced spells requires that the Sources be the same (A:RPG 346). There's no Source that grants access to both, so even if #1 and #2 above work out it's not permitted.

I can think of 2 Exotic Spells currently, 1 is available by path (Knight of the Order of the Phoenix) and one was made available at Arcanicon (Share Strain). There are probably others in paths, but not coming to mind off the top of my head. While a home campaign could decide to make more available at the GM's discretion, I believe the intent is that it is Campaign controlled.

I think it would have made an interesting spell, and I'm curious if I'm wrong on #1 above. The player(s) that used Exotic Spell in this way would be free to change their talent selection or advancement as appropriate. That's typically the way it has worked.

With a sweep of his hat,

Paul

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 2:10 pm 

Nierite wrote:
. . . I'm not sure how exactly this is working. The only way to gain 'non-standard spells' from your set arcanum is through a Path, Background, or through campaign certification which expressly allows it. You cannot say "Hmmm. . . I like this spell from this completely unrelated Arcanum source. YOINK!!"

Interesting, I read the Talent as you needed a master or tome to teach you. Where is it written like that. Would like a ruling on this then so I can tell my guys yes or no.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 2:22 pm 

Hello,

wisper wrote:
Interesting, I read the Talent as you needed a master or tome to teach you. Where is it written like that. Would like a ruling on this then so I can tell my guys yes or no.

You are correct, but you left out the all important phrase, "..a game event( such as finding a tome or lessons from a Master).

Now if this is a home game, no problem. That's your call.

If it's for the Organized Play game, then no...another player cannot teach you a spell. If that was the case, we would have written lessons from another Hero.

So if you're looking for an official ruling, then this is an illegal combo in the Legends of Arcanis campaign.

Henry Lopez
President
PCI

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 2:56 pm 

PCIHenry wrote:
If it's for the Organized Play game, then no...another player cannot teach you a spell. If that was the case, we would have written lessons from another Hero.

So if you're looking for an official ruling, then this is an illegal combo in the Legends of Arcanis campaign.

Thanks Henry for clarifying it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:08 am 

Ward of Inertial Shielding (Advanced) - by David Thomas Chappell
Sources: Psionic or Sarishan Sorcerer-Priest
Category: Advanced
Base Spells: Inertial Shield + Ward of Shielding
CTN: 23
Speed (Strain): 3 (+3)
Range: Self
Duration: Scene (Special)
With some arcane words, you envelop yourself in a protective ward of inertial shielding that deflects and absorbs incoming energy.
Effect: This Ward will absorb 10 points of damage before it is destroyed. This ward will allow you to cast spells or make physical attacks without negating the Ward’s defensive properties. However, once the Ward is erected, you may not move or else the Ward will end.
Also, you gain a +1 bonus to your Avoidance. If any single attack deals more damage than your passive Arcanum value, the ward is shattered.
Restriction: This spell works only on you and may not be cast on any other Target under any circumstances.
Adaptation: Increase the CTN by 3 and Strain by 1 to add an additional 10 points of damage absorption to the Ward. This adaptation may be applied multiple times.
Adaptation: Increase the CTN by 3 to increase the Avoidance bonus granted by this spell by 1. This Adaptation may be applied multiple times to a maximum Avoidance bonus of +3.
Adaptation: Increase the CTN by 6 and Speed to 1 Minute to change the spell’s type to Binding, thus extending its duration.

Note that applying adaptations to the Inertial Shield (only) does not increase the Strain because the adaptation can be applied before combining the spells, at which point the Strain of the shorter spell is irrelevant.

The above has been edited from the original post based on constructive comments from gamers who know the rules better than I.

Amadi val'Abebi - Monk of Althares
Talathos - choleric Kelekene dabbler

Last edited by Dante on Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:22 am, edited 2 times in total.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next