Last visit was: It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Customized Advanced Maneuvers
PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:45 pm 

the simplest answer is for a GM to limit the special effects (not only arcans strike but things like unbalancing strike) to the first target.

I have been leaning that way for a while, the rules dont really come down well on either side of that argument.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:49 pm 

I know it is a matter of semantics and interpretation, but I believe that the Sweeping/Arcane Strike w/ EoME would let you hit 2-3 Targets, but only deliver the spell to the first. Why? Arcane Strike says it delivers the spell to the Target (not Targets) of the maneuver. I think any triple dip casting is beyond thee scope of intention of Arcane Strike. Now, I think if you have a spell with a multi-target adaption capabilities (like EoME), I would be inclined to permit it w/ Sweeping Strike if you paid for that Adaptation for additional target(s).

Also, this phrase in Arcane Strike gives me pause for another reason. "This maneuver has a speed equal to the higher speed cost between the weapon and spell and a Recovery cost equal to the lower speed between the two." To me, that means that the Arcane Strike MANEUVER (not the total attack) with a Speed 6 weapon and a Speed 6 spell is +6(6). Maneuver speeds are added to weapon speeds for effecting the total speed of the attack, making it a total of 12(6).

Now, if this is accurate, I think it would not be out of line to triple dip the spell to all Targets of the Sweeping Strike/Arcane Strike Maneuver. But, either way, I think Pedro needs to clarify the intention.

-general creator of mayhem and discord
-Exceptional quality PCI Minion and indentured servant
-Lord of the Hummingbirds

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:52 pm 

SamhainIA wrote:
the simplest answer is for a GM to limit the special effects (not only arcans strike but things like unbalancing strike) to the first target.

I have been leaning that way for a while, the rules dont really come down well on either side of that argument.

This is inconsistent with using Sweeping Strike with things like Mighty Swing. If you're going to 'nerf' Arcane Strike, you need to 'nerf' everything else that Sweeping Strike is used with.

John

Kelb'Bakari Masalio, Dark-kin Altherian Corsair, Gentleman Archaeologist, and Wandering Bard
"The highest compliment an Altherian can pay you is to shoot you with his flintlock. It means you were worth the expense."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:54 pm 

mighty28 wrote:
Also, this phrase in Arcane Strike gives me pause for another reason. "This maneuver has a speed equal to the higher speed cost between the weapon and spell and a Recovery cost equal to the lower speed between the two." To me, that means that the Arcane Strike MANEUVER (not the total attack) with a Speed 6 weapon and a Speed 6 spell is +6(6). Maneuver speeds are added to weapon speeds for effecting the total speed of the attack, making it a total of 12(6).

Sorry but that is a bad interpretation of Arcane Strike, for a measley d6 damage extra.

John

Kelb'Bakari Masalio, Dark-kin Altherian Corsair, Gentleman Archaeologist, and Wandering Bard
"The highest compliment an Altherian can pay you is to shoot you with his flintlock. It means you were worth the expense."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:00 pm 

Harliquinn wrote:
SamhainIA wrote:

This is inconsistent with using Sweeping Strike with things like Mighty Swing. If you're going to 'nerf' Arcane Strike, you need to 'nerf' everything else that Sweeping Strike is used with.

John

John that is precisely what i said, except I used unbalancing stike in place of mighty swing for my example, im not nerfing arcanie strike at all im advocating nerfing sweeping strike.

and to be Clear the answer is not "make sweeping strike an advanced maneuver"

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:06 pm 

Harliquinn wrote:
mighty28 wrote:

Sorry but that is a bad interpretation of Arcane Strike, for a measley d6 damage extra.

John

John, I don't think that it is a bad interpretation. I think the interpretation is dead-on. I think it is poorly worded phrase since it uses the term "maneuver" alone instead of a phrase akin to "The total attack speed utilizing this maneuver has a speed equal to the higher speed cost between the weapon and spell and a Recovery cost equal to the lower speed between the two." Then you could add another Base maneuver for it's standard cost.

So, using that wording:
Arcane Strike with Elemental Bolt using T-Hammer, +d6 damage as Speed 7 Recovery 4 attack.
with Sweeping Strike: Speed 8 Recovery 6
Arcane Strike with Elemental Bolt using Dagger, +d6 damage as Speed 4 Recovery 3 attack.
with Sweeping Strike: Speed 5 Recovery 5.

-general creator of mayhem and discord
-Exceptional quality PCI Minion and indentured servant
-Lord of the Hummingbirds

Last edited by mighty28 on Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:06 pm 

Honestly, the answer is just to adjust Sweeping Strike's Speed/Recovery cost. They are out of whack with other maneuvers in my opinion, especially hitting 3 targets.

John

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:12 pm 

mighty28 wrote:
Harliquinn wrote:
mighty28 wrote:

John

John, I don't think that it is a bad interpretation. I think the interpretation is dead-on. I think it is poorly worded phrase since it uses the term "maneuver" alone instead of a phrase akin to "The total attack speed utilizing this maneuver has a speed equal to the higher speed cost between the weapon and spell and a Recovery cost equal to the lower speed between the two."

Arcane Strike is a Limited talent available to one Fighting Style with huge pre-requisites. If the intent is that in order to get an additional d6 damage, you practically double the weapon speed with a big recovery, that makes it pretty pointless. You're already losing any AR of the base spell, suffering Elemental AR to weapon damage, and losing the Primary Spell die. There are a lot of 'typos' in Arcane Strike *Using "Basic" instead of "Base", but I'm sure it's supposed to work as above, with the higher of the two becoming the overall Speed of the maneuver. Given the example I think it's clear as well.

Lastly, maneuvers which you add weapon speed to are always listed as Speed: +X (Y) as well.

John

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:33 pm 

SamhainIA wrote:

John that is precisely what i said, except I used unbalancing stike in place of mighty swing for my example, im not nerfing arcanie strike at all im advocating nerfing sweeping strike.

and to be Clear the answer is not "make sweeping strike an advanced maneuver"

Sorry Josh, the way you said "Like Unbalancing Strike," I thought you wanted to pick and choose which maneuvers combined with Sweeping Strike for special effects and which didn't.

John

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:01 pm 

so adding things twice is kinda out of the question, , the example lays it out pretty cleanly.

I think we are inflating thingce via hyperbole and should probably calm down and take a look at the arguments presented.

Arcimous primus is not too difficult to get into. a couple of talents, and a stat requirement, pretty easy for even a tier 1 character

the true power of this ability is to cast "any spell that requires an attack roll" Eric has hit directly on the head hey this is good for things othar than straight up damage.

for the sake of argument lets assume a speed 5 weapon, lots of 1 handed speed 5 weapons

basic weapon attack is speed 5, 0 recovery

a Mighty swing is Speed 6, 3 recovery and is 5 extra damage

an arcane strike (elemental bolt) is Speed 5 Recovery 4 Strain 2 and is a d6 extra damage(CTN 18)

in my book those two things are pretty comparable when you are assuming an average for a d6 is 3.5

Where Arcane strike really shines like the sun is the non damaging spells
Arcane Strike: Enemy of my enemy (Speed 6, rec 5 strain 5 ctn 18)
Arcane Strike: Hostile Empathic link (speed 6, rec5, strain 4 ctn 21)

(I playtested these for delbert when COH came out and I thought they were way too good then and I still do)

so that leads me to another suggested solution, is to not let arcane strike work with anything that targets discipline

I'm not convinced thats a solution I want to advocate for either, its not very elegant in my opinion

I would contend that adding sweeping strike to damaging spells isnt any more powerful than adding it to damaging maneuvers. however adding it to non damaging spells makes it over the top as we are demonstrating with enemy of my enemy, I hit the three peons in front of me and have them go after the caster behind them.

thats my thoughts on the matter

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next