Last visit was: It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
 Post subject: Re: Customized Advanced Maneuvers
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:05 pm 

Good evening,

Southernskies – Yes, thank you. I only meant in cases where we combine Spinning Strikes with Arcane Strike to create an Advanced Maneuver (even though I used “two-weapon fighting” towards the end). And, I see. It would only apply to the primary attack. As an aside, do we know of any instance where Spinning Strikes (or any other two-weapon fighting based maneuver) would apply effects across both primary and off-hand attacks?

FGJustice and Eric – The wording of the Chosen Weapons section for Arcimous Primus leads me to believe that the style is more open to variation based on the magical abilities of the practitioner.

“Chosen Weapons: Arcimous Primus utilizes primarily one-handed weapons as to keep the practitioner’s off hand free for spell casting.”

Perhaps I am misinterpreting this, but the description could potentially offer some flexibility in such cases where the practitioner is a Psion (and does not require a free hand for casting), uses unarmed/natural attacks, or possesses Quick Hands (ta) and wields one weapon in two hands. Other Chosen Weapon sections among other Fighting Styles do not include the word “primarily” and lay out certain requirements directly. I could be reaching, but it seems like it was intentionally left open to various weapon and spell type combat styles. Do we have other threads/posts/rulings available which specifically rule out these other possibilities?

Thank you all for your time and insight!

Cheers,
Kirk

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:28 am 

I would have to agree with Kirk. The description of Arcimous Primus does not say that "one hand must be kept free" - it just says that is usually done. However, I don't remember the wording on Arcane Strike so it may indicate that you do need a hand free to use it (which would mean you could not combine it with Spinning Strikes or use a two-handed weapon).

Eryk Bauer - Martial Awakened 1.2

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:19 am 

I remember it being clarified at some point, but I can't find the post with a casual search.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:53 pm 

The crunch books get submissions from many different people and their writting styles and syntax are slightly different from each other. My reading of the fighting style is that your interpretation is reaching.

You may find judges that agree with you. You may find judges who don't. You should check with them at the start of a table. (And have a back up plan if your combo isn't allowed).

AKA Ambassador Tukufu, man of letters, tomb raider and Master Sword Sage
. . . and Sir Szymon val'Holryn, Order of the Phoenix
Formerly Sir Jaeger val'Holryn. Weilder of the Holy Avenger: Thonanos. Gave his soul to help free King Noen

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:35 pm 

val Holryn wrote:
The crunch books get submissions from many different people and their writting styles and syntax are slightly different from each other. My reading of the fighting style is that your interpretation is reaching.

How so? By a literal reading of the rule, it is clear that it is not required to have a hand free ("primarily"). It's impossible to know intent so all we can do is read the literal meaning of the rule. Also, given that there is the Talent to specifically allow using magic with a two-handed weapon "easily", I would hope that the fighting style would work fine with a two-handed weapon.

Eryk Bauer - Martial Awakened 1.2

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:39 pm 

"Chosen Weapons: Arcimous Primus utilizes primarily one-handed weapons as to keep the practitioner’s off hand free for spell casting"

I don't know how this can be made clearer. You have to have a free hand to cast spells. The only way to use a 2 handed weapon with Arcimous Primus is via Psionics or the Quick Hands Talent.

-general creator of mayhem and discord
-Exceptional quality PCI Minion and indentured servant
-Lord of the Hummingbirds

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8