Last visit was: It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:52 pm


All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Customized Advanced Maneuvers
PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:00 am 
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:06 am
Posts: 1720
Location: Portland OR
PCI_StatMonkey wrote:
expect a slight bit of errata for Arcane Strike

Thinking of limiting the traditions you can apply


I'd be careful about traditions you limit. If Arcane a strike is only about adding extra damage from elemental bolt or whatever then IMO it's just not that hot when compared to other options. You pick up strain and recovery. If some control spells are allowed but not others then we are adding complexity and potentially rejiggering the line as we find different synergies with other talents.

_________________
Eric Gorman

AKA Ambassador Tukufu, man of letters, tomb raider and Master Sword Sage
. . . and Sir Szymon val'Holryn, Order of the Phoenix
Formerly Sir Jaeger val'Holryn. Weilder of the Holy Avenger: Thonanos. Gave his soul to help free King Noen


Top
Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Customized Advanced Maneuvers
PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:38 am 

Joined: Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:12 pm
Posts: 609
val Holryn wrote:
PCI_StatMonkey wrote:
expect a slight bit of errata for Arcane Strike

Thinking of limiting the traditions you can apply


I'd be careful about traditions you limit. If Arcane a strike is only about adding extra damage from elemental bolt or whatever then IMO it's just not that hot when compared to other options. You pick up strain and recovery. If some control spells are allowed but not others then we are adding complexity and potentially rejiggering the line as we find different synergies with other talents.
That entire fighting style is overpowered, especially the tier four ability. I think some balancing on this maneuver's part would be nice. I think tradition would be a nice way to go about it.


Top
Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Customized Advanced Maneuvers
PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:24 am 
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:40 am
Posts: 2046
PCI_StatMonkey wrote:
expect a slight bit of errata for Arcane Strike

Thinking of limiting the traditions you can apply


I thought you had said it was intended to allow the types of non damaging spells being used. I'm curious what traditions you're thinking since it's available to several casting types, the traditions need to be balanced out. If you plan on limiting it to damage spells or removing traditions like illusion that provide nice added effects then you'd need to remove the no Primary Die restriction and the whole elemental AR applies to the whole damag amount I think.

Is it really a problem of Arcane Strike or is this a Sweeping Strike problem?

John

_________________
- John Bellando

Kelb'Bakari Masalio, Dark-kin Altherian Corsair, Gentleman Archaeologist, and Wandering Bard
"The highest compliment an Altherian can pay you is to shoot you with his flintlock. It means you were worth the expense."


Top
Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Customized Advanced Maneuvers
PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:26 am 
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:40 am
Posts: 2046
Deviknyte wrote:
val Holryn wrote:
PCI_StatMonkey wrote:
expect a slight bit of errata for Arcane Strike

Thinking of limiting the traditions you can apply


I'd be careful about traditions you limit. If Arcane a strike is only about adding extra damage from elemental bolt or whatever then IMO it's just not that hot when compared to other options. You pick up strain and recovery. If some control spells are allowed but not others then we are adding complexity and potentially rejiggering the line as we find different synergies with other talents.
That entire fighting style is overpowered, especially the tier four ability. I think some balancing on this maneuver's part would be nice. I think tradition would be a nice way to go about it.


Please provide examples of why the fighting style is overpowers compared to any others, before just blanket statements are made.

John

_________________
- John Bellando

Kelb'Bakari Masalio, Dark-kin Altherian Corsair, Gentleman Archaeologist, and Wandering Bard
"The highest compliment an Altherian can pay you is to shoot you with his flintlock. It means you were worth the expense."


Top
Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Customized Advanced Maneuvers
PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:45 am 

Joined: Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:36 am
Posts: 1544
People are entitled to have an opinion. I think the fighting style is overpowered also.

and I think instead of limiting traditions, it should be limited to spells that affect avoidance and fortitude and not allow spells that affect discipline. there are already precidents in the system about those two type of attacks

_________________
--Josh Elliott
Oswald val'Inares V, The True King of Milandir
Harvester Lord of the Eastern Fields of Iowa, and the dominions of Coralville and Dubuque


Top
Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Customized Advanced Maneuvers
PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:46 am 
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:40 am
Posts: 2046
It's great to have an opinion, but generally those are also supported by some actual evidence. It's perfectly fine to say something is overpowered, but why? It's hard to discuss or debate otherwise.

_________________
- John Bellando

Kelb'Bakari Masalio, Dark-kin Altherian Corsair, Gentleman Archaeologist, and Wandering Bard
"The highest compliment an Altherian can pay you is to shoot you with his flintlock. It means you were worth the expense."


Top
Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Customized Advanced Maneuvers
PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:56 am 
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:40 am
Posts: 2046
SamhainIA wrote:
and I think instead of limiting traditions, it should be limited to spells that affect avoidance and fortitude and not allow spells that affect discipline. there are already precidents in the system about those two type of attacks


Which precedents are you speaking of? There are already martial maneuvers that target Discipline, so I'd say that is good precedent that weapon attacks can affect your opponent's mental state as well.

John

_________________
- John Bellando

Kelb'Bakari Masalio, Dark-kin Altherian Corsair, Gentleman Archaeologist, and Wandering Bard
"The highest compliment an Altherian can pay you is to shoot you with his flintlock. It means you were worth the expense."


Top
Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Customized Advanced Maneuvers
PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:05 am 

Joined: Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:36 am
Posts: 1544
Quote:
Any spells that attack Avoidance or Fortitude use the Prowess attribute unless otherwise indicated.
Any spells that attack a Target’s Discipline always use the Arcanum skill’s Primary Attribute.

ARPG 348

_________________
--Josh Elliott
Oswald val'Inares V, The True King of Milandir
Harvester Lord of the Eastern Fields of Iowa, and the dominions of Coralville and Dubuque


Top
Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Customized Advanced Maneuvers
PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:25 am 
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:40 am
Posts: 2046
SamhainIA wrote:
Quote:
Any spells that attack Avoidance or Fortitude use the Prowess attribute unless otherwise indicated.
Any spells that attack a Target’s Discipline always use the Arcanum skill’s Primary Attribute.

ARPG 348


I'm not sure how this supports "No discipline attacks with Arcane Strike"? Could you elaborate? As I've pointed out, there are already weapon maneuvers that can target Discipline (using Prowess), so I'm not sure how channeling a spell as a maneuver would be any different. Perhaps Arcane Strike should use the character's Primary Casting Attribute for Discipline spells?

John

_________________
- John Bellando

Kelb'Bakari Masalio, Dark-kin Altherian Corsair, Gentleman Archaeologist, and Wandering Bard
"The highest compliment an Altherian can pay you is to shoot you with his flintlock. It means you were worth the expense."


Top
Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Customized Advanced Maneuvers
PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:04 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:23 am
Posts: 930
Location: Miami Florida
SamhainIA wrote:
People are entitled to have an opinion. I think the fighting style is overpowered also.

and I think instead of limiting traditions, it should be limited to spells that affect avoidance and fortitude and not allow spells that affect discipline. there are already precidents in the system about those two type of attacks


I have been thinking of this option as well

_________________
Pedro Barrenechea
Stat Monkey
Minor Deity of Typos

Paradigm Concepts
Miami, Florida


Top
Offline Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Theme created StylerBB.net & kodeki