Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Those Keys & some NPCs
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:20 pm 

I moved this thread over here from the PCI Community.
vandom43 wrote:
Yes, thank you for pointing that out, I meant Raise Dead. But it's semantics at this point, I don't think he will be dying anytime soon.
Uh...that makes one of us.

In Arcanis, if you are powerful enough, you can make someone go in ways that Raise Dead won't help with. Menisis died and was unraisable. If it's time for an NPC to go, they go.

Let's be easy with the spoilers here. Ssshhh.... Not everyone was at Origins last summer and the mods are not out yet for general release. Its not a great leap to say that during the big BI set in the Citadel of Silence the PCs were looking for Leonydas, and - sure enough - eventually found him. But let's not name any other names here. Neither the innocent nor the guilty.

Still, if that was all I wanted to write I wouldn't have bothered posting. There is an idea percolating in my head I want to share. Before they closed down my favorite Starbucks (thanks again Corona Virus :x ) I had a chance to sit down with Tukufu. At appropriate social distancing. Over a tall mocha and a flat white, he had this to share with me ...
Tukufu at Starbucks wrote:
Even if he fully recovers, I wouldn't take any odds that he makes it beyond a year or two. Go reread the prophesies.

With Belinay gone I have a lot of time to think and brood most nights. We all know what the Destroyer is collecting. I suspect that was why the crazy mission to the Lost Citadel was officially supported. On some level it's irrelevant. I don't really believe that the prophesies can be derailed. We can only ride out the storm and maybe mitigate some of the damage as we go. But at some point that will change. There will come a crisis point. Who will be the Ember bereft of fire? That's our key. Everything will hinge on the Ember. And if you meditate a little about all the interesting people we recently made acquaintances with, then I think you should agree with me that there is now a better candidate than Leonydas for the title of Ember.

AKA Ambassador Tukufu, man of letters, tomb raider and Master Sword Sage
. . . and Sir Szymon val'Holryn, Order of the Phoenix
Formerly Sir Jaeger val'Holryn. Weilder of the Holy Avenger: Thonanos. Gave his soul to help free King Noen

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Those Keys & some NPCs
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:06 am 

val Holryn wrote:
In Arcanis, if you are powerful enough, you can make someone go in ways that Raise Dead won't help with. Menisis died and was unraisable. If it's time for an NPC to go, they go.

Yes, sometimes life and death is dictated by fate/plot. I'm used to the "5e mindset", and I haven't fully shed myself of it. Yeah, if it were a player, who was accompanied by Clerics 24/7, it would be a different story. Unfortunately, that isn't how Arcanis works. You can't just cast "Raise Dead" on a guy to keep him going. All we can do is keep him alive long enough to fulfill his destiny, and fulfill it to the best of our abilities. Plus, he's like, 80 years old, if the war doesn't kill him, age certainly will.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sigismund Jupiter val'Holryn von Tralia

Offline Profile