Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Looking for information on the Sisters of Nier
PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:22 am 

Greetings,

Can anyone provide references for information on the Sisters of Nier? I know they're a Larissan order, but I'm looking for details. I likely have the reference material, just not sure where to look.

Thanks.

With a sweep of his hat,

Paul

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Looking for information on the Sisters of Nier
PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 4:06 am 

The only Sisters of Nier reference in the new system that I know of is in the history section of the Blessed Lands book. Look for Leo and the Theocracy of the Burning Flame. In the Original campaign I believe they also got some coverage in the Theocracy of Canceri book.

They are very heavily (exclusively?) an Erdukeen sect of oracular Larissans whose divinations have a strong fire theme flowing through them. Their primary purpose throughout history has been to find the signs of the return of Leonydas. Their secondary purpose seems to be to advise the Autocrat of Erduk.

They appear to have missed Leonydas’ birth in the First Imperium when the val’Virdan were slave warriors after the fall of Manetas. But I believe it was the Sisters of Nier who correctly foretold of his second coming at Nishanpur. Certainly the Erdukeen were there at the time of his escape. And the Sisters of Nier helped engineer the events at Origins this year involving Elaysha and her husband.

To my knowledge they are completely independent of the Mother Church...and much older as an institution to boot. In fact their history may go back further than the Mourners of Silence which would probably make them the second oldest known contiguous human institution (the Eternal Choir allegedly goes back to the dawn of the First Imperium and should be the oldest of mankind’s unbroken organizations).

Hope that helps!

AKA Ambassador Tukufu, man of letters, tomb raider and Master Sword Sage
. . . and Sir Szymon val'Holryn, Order of the Phoenix
Formerly Sir Jaeger val'Holryn. Weilder of the Holy Avenger: Thonanos. Gave his soul to help free King Noen

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:13 am 

Hi Eric, it does. The Theocracy of Canceri has a bunch of information. Thanks.

The section on the Sisters describes their founding as:

"When the armies of Leonydas val’Virdan met defeat at the hands of rebels against his rule, they fled to the farthest reaches of the world to await the sign of the Sword of the Heavens’ return. Among those fleeing were some Larissan Oracles, women seers who adopted the ascetic life of the Erdukeen Nierites, abandoning the hedonism of the former lives. They now commit themselves to the art of divination, embracing Larissa’s aspect as the seer."

This would indicate they didn't exist before the fall of Leonydas towards the end of the 1st Imperium. I also did a quick search for the sisters in the Blessed Lands book and couldn't find a reference to them. Can you provide the reference?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:21 am 

Hmmm...I went back to the Blessed Lands books and found instead of the Sisters of Nier a group called the Sisters of Flame. In the Theocracy of the Cleansing Flame section it states:

"the val’Virdan held onto hope through a prophecy given onto them by the outlawed Sisters of the Flame, that among them would be born one who would lead them out of captivity and wreck the vengeance of their ancestors on their oppressors. This val’Virdan would be known as the Sword of the Heavens...snip...Since the time the prophecy was first revealed, outlawed val’Virdan priests cast auguries by burning the umbilical cord of all children born to val’Virdan women, within incandescent braziers."

I had equated the Sisters of Flame with the Sisters of Nier. That's probably a mistake on my part. The Sisters of Nier are Larissian Oracular priestesses. It sounds like the Sisters of the Flame were Nieirites. Though in my defense they are calling themselves sisters and doing the same thing ... looking for Leonydas.

As speculation on my part its possible the Sisters off Flame merged with the Larissians to become the Sisters of Nier after the defeat of Leonydas.

AKA Ambassador Tukufu, man of letters, tomb raider and Master Sword Sage
. . . and Sir Szymon val'Holryn, Order of the Phoenix
Formerly Sir Jaeger val'Holryn. Weilder of the Holy Avenger: Thonanos. Gave his soul to help free King Noen

Offline Profile