Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Does the Magi Ebon Blade do extra damage?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:51 am 

In the Shattered Lands book the Ebon blade spell does 1d8 damage. The Magi archetype says that the Magi can create a heavy two handed blade. But these properties do not convey any kind of improvement on the blade. So, what's the point? Does it just allow me to create a greatsword that does 1d8 damage?

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Does the Magi Ebon Blade do extra damage?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:43 am 

Hi DevM,

If you have feats or class abilities that interact with heavy weapons, then there would be an advantage to creating an ebon blade with those features (for example to access a fighting school that uses a heavy blade). I'ts arguably that you could create a glaive which would have reach...or perhaps another bladed weapon with other qualities. But as written, as I understand it, there is no other damage benefit from choosing one form over another. (OTOH your ebon sword as short sword (or dagger) still does 1d8 so its an advantage there.)

For most casters I don't think there will be a big advantage to creating ebon greatswords.

As an aside I would note that the Magi archetype is not all that subtle. Your black weapons and armor are a Big neon sign to Ymandrakes in the area that you are an arcane caster. Doubly so when your kit appear out of nowhere. Elorii (and val'Sungha) in Entaris & the League of Princes may not care - Ymandragore's influence there is limited. But it's a different story in the First City and "the Known World."

FYI

AKA Ambassador Tukufu, man of letters, tomb raider and Master Sword Sage
. . . and Sir Szymon val'Holryn, Order of the Phoenix
Formerly Sir Jaeger val'Holryn. Weilder of the Holy Avenger: Thonanos. Gave his soul to help free King Noen

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:30 am 

Thank you for your input Eric. I am reading through the book just trying to understand all the class potentials before I build a character. I am well aware of the stigma on Arcane casters in the Shattered Lands. I am still trying to wrap your mind around it. I understand the role-playing opportunities the Arcane ban can provide. But, it makes meander why even have Arcane classes if they are going to be so hard to play?
Anyway, thank you again for your take on Ebon Blade.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:04 pm 

DevM wrote:
But, it makes meander why even have Arcane classes if they are going to be so hard to play?

Raw, unadulterated power. Arcane casters can be the nastiest thing around (at least until Strain and the Wasting Disease or Harvesting catches up). :twisted:

Arcane casters can create their own Advanced spells (something Divine casters can't) and have access to some of the most devastating combat spells available. :mrgreen:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:18 am 

LOL were talking the 5E version. Not ARP. Though really the answer is still the same...

....Raw unadulterated power. And not just raw spell power. Arcane casters are not part a temple/church hierarchy that imposes values (and scrutiny from superiors). They arguably have the widest range of combat powers and are free to mix and match as they personally see fit. No one else has that freedom. Even Psion have to snowed to their Val families.

But Arcane casters have their own problems. They have to dodge Ymandragore. In the wilds or in a dungeon? Usually no big deal. In a city? Can be a serious problem.

AKA Ambassador Tukufu, man of letters, tomb raider and Master Sword Sage
. . . and Sir Szymon val'Holryn, Order of the Phoenix
Formerly Sir Jaeger val'Holryn. Weilder of the Holy Avenger: Thonanos. Gave his soul to help free King Noen

Offline Profile