Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Inquisition Questions
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:27 pm 

I'm planning to make a Inquisitor character, so I want to learn more about their influence on the world, to what extent they have authority, how they work in the church, ect. Anyone care to share?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sigismund Jupiter val'Holryn von Tralia

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Inquisition Questions
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:41 am 

The Mother Church is a weird federated body. In theory each Temple determines the dogma of their god. You can think of that as “state” level. And superimposed on top of that is the “bureaucracy” that both administers the collective will, works out logistics, and manages disputes between temples. The “federal” level. But in practice the Patriarch/Matriarch also exerts significant influence even at the temple level, though there are limits. Felician sought unsuccessfully to reunify with Church of the Dark Triumverate in Canceri. Elandre is trying to lead Coryani culture in a more moderate direction. Some temples, particularly the sensate dominated Temple of Larissa in Savona, are “dragging their heels.” It’s complicated.

Inquisitors are usually drawn from the Temples of Illiir and Sarish. And work for the central administration of the Matriarch. Their headquarters are in Grand Coryan. IMO roughly half the NPC Inquisitors we’ve seen in play are deeply concerned about the “real” heretical groups leading people astray. And the other half are deeply political creatures who abuse their authority to exercise secular power.

The Legio Lex Talionis is an Inquisitorial Legion. If military might is needed they are the people who show up. They are part of the Inquisition, though it’s my understanding that in the field non-priests are generally led by their ordained brethren.

Inquisitors have authority in Lands that follow the Mother Church. That’s the Coryani Empire and to a certain extent Altheria and Metra. Although the leadership of the Temple of Altheres and the Inquisition supposedly get along well, it’s easy to imagine Knowledge Wardens and Inquisitrs with different opinions on what to do with a a “naughty” book. Particularly in Altheria where they are separate politically.

Inquisitors have no official authority in other lands like Milandir or the Blessed Lands/First City - which uniquely offers citizens broad freedom of conscience to worship however they want. It’s not clear how much influence they have in Dwarven enclaves. Given the treatment of King Nolen by High Inquisitor Aeneas during the Civil War it’s my opinion that Inquisitors might be only physically tolerated barely or even unwelcome. Tier Betoq seems to lean toward the Milandesian Orthodox Church in the Crusade mods. In the Kio Lands it’s my opinion that an Inquisitor would probably be treated politely as long as they “behaved themselves”...harassing undir for worshipping spirits would probably not be tolerated for long. Helping root out an infernal cult probably would be.

Inquisitors provoke strong reactions wherever they go. They are respected or resented, feared or hated all based on who is asked. I don’t think anyone loves them.

AKA Ambassador Tukufu, man of letters, tomb raider and Master Sword Sage
. . . and Sir Szymon val'Holryn, Order of the Phoenix
Formerly Sir Jaeger val'Holryn. Weilder of the Holy Avenger: Thonanos. Gave his soul to help free King Noen

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:42 am 

Would it be impossible or unheard of for there to be a Nierite Inquisitor, particularly of the Defend the Pantheon aspect?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:51 pm 

vandom43 wrote:
Would it be impossible or unheard of for there to be a Nierite Inquisitor, particularly of the Defend the Pantheon aspect?

Eric gave an excellent answer to the current feelings towards and disposition of the Coryani Inquisition. Thank you, Eric.

In answer to your question, the worship of Nier has recently (past 30 or 40 years) been wholly accepted back into the Mother Church, so a Nierite inquisitor would not be unheard of, though they would be kept on a (politically) short leash. Many still remember their actions centuries ago of attempting to overthrow the political structure of the empire.

As to the "Defend the Pantheon aspect", I'm not sure what you mean. The inquisition's main duty is to defend the worship of the Pantheon and its followers.

Henry Lopez
President
PCI

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:36 pm 

I should have clarified. What I meant was that it would probably be more acceptable to draw a Nierite Inquisitor that reveres his place as Defender of the Pantheon aspect, rather than an Inquisitor that reveres his place as Reveler of Violence.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:48 pm 

vandom43 wrote:
I should have clarified. What I meant was that it would probably be more acceptable to draw a Nierite Inquisitor that reveres his place as Defender of the Pantheon aspect, rather than an Inquisitor that reveres his place as Reveler of Violence.

I would say yes, as the stereotype of the mad dog Nierite really has no place in the Inquisition except in very rare occasions. The inquisition is more scalpel than flamethrower in its day to day affairs.

Henry Lopez
President
PCI

Offline Profile