Last visit was: It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: 5e Character Building
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:13 pm 

Having a play around with the 5e character creation (no plans for a game anytime soon) and would like feedback from those that have played the system at home.

The family matriarch has been around a while (LA 3.5 campaign: Pat2/Ftr4/Cent10).

Barbara Duran-Dellanov Hiro
Nation: Coryan (Balantica)
Race: Human
Class: Fighter
Background: Noble (Legion Officer) [swap Feature for "Military Rank (Officer)", Legion of Heaven's Blade tattoo]
Diety: Saluwe

Str 11, Dex 16, Con 12, Int 14, Wis 10, Cha 12
Acrobatics, History, Intimidate, Nature, Perception, Persuasion, Smith's Tools
Fighting Style (Dueling), Defensive Duelist
Gladius, Shield, (various Lorica options)

Future plans:
3. Archetype: Tactician (Rallying Cry, Stand your Ground, Strike the Rod)
4. +2 Dex
6. Shieldmaster
8. +2 Dex
12. Athlete (+1 Str)

Any suggested tweaks within the 5e mechanics that could be improved upon?

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: 5e Character Building
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:10 pm 

First:
Even though the PhB gives "officer" as a selectable rank, Henry stated on the FB group that in order to claim an "Officer" level distinction from the legions, you need more than just a background. A legionnaire is just a legionnaire. Might be legal by the PhB now, but I clearly won't be when the 5e rules compendium (or whatever they are going to call it) comes out.

Also regarding the background I got the distinct impression that the customized background rule was not being used. Again that will be an issue when the final rules come out.

There once was a gnome called Oozy,
Who kissed a Yaricite floozy.
But rather than wed,
She drowned him instead,
Now he is a Yaricite toosey!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:11 pm 

Second, age will be a factor. A val might be fit at 64, but not a human. Your physical stats and age don't "jive".

There once was a gnome called Oozy,
Who kissed a Yaricite floozy.
But rather than wed,
She drowned him instead,
Now he is a Yaricite toosey!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:23 pm 

Background isn't a problem with current guide.

7 | Living Arcanis Campaign Guide – v1.5 wrote:
Choose your Background
The backgrounds from the Player’s Handbook are all available for play with the additional rules and variants presented in the Arcanis Primer. You may customize a background, as presented in the SRD, but strive to do so in order to support your character’s story and to fit the world of Arcanis.

Human and Val both have the same lifespan in current books (Val used to live a lot longer).
My old stats would be 31 point buy in 5e, so the physicals have been reduced anyway. Still needs to be viable to play.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:22 am 

While Centurion is its own thing in 3rd, ARPG & (presumably 5th) there are other officer options.

Tribune comes to mind. Usually an unofficial first step on the "Course of Honor" Tribunes could be anything from gofers to the generals right hand man (depending on aptitude, family connections and the personal relationship with the general and the other officers).

You could also have commanded auxiliary before or after a stint as a legionnaire.

AKA Ambassador Tukufu, man of letters, tomb raider and Master Sword Sage
. . . and Sir Szymon val'Holryn, Order of the Phoenix
Formerly Sir Jaeger val'Holryn. Weilder of the Holy Avenger: Thonanos. Gave his soul to help free King Noen

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:19 am 

Tribune/Legate didn't exist as a 'rules' option in 3.0/3.5 (my original creation notes have "posted as Legate in 1025 through family influence; patrician/legionnaire", at age 16; yes, I still have all my original notes and final cert folder).

All the RP stuff is old history; I'm just after help with the 5e mechanics, since I haven't played it yet and don't have a feel for the way it flows.

Noble/Military Rank seems the best way in the short term to meet the mechanics. Having a 'slave' would be nice, but her old cohort is bit past it to dodge Harvesters in the field (Ftr1/Wiz14).
(see avatar for the pair in action)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:48 pm 

Southernskies wrote:
... Background: Noble (Legion Officer) [swap Feature for "Military Rank (Officer)" ...

After reading the side note on "The Noble Val" , I'm not sure the background swap works the way you worked it.

According to how it is read: "Being of noble birth allows you to swap out your background’s feature with the Noble background feature." (Noble Vals w/ Acolyte, Guild Artisan, Sage, or Soldier backgrounds could change those backgrounds' features for that of the Noble background feature. There is no swap if taking the Noble background).

Shouldn't your Background state: Soldier (Former Legionnaire, **Feature: Position of Privilege), basing your build off Fighter Class/Soldier Background?

Echo
B-lister, Super Human, Brawler
"Bringing the noise!"

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:49 pm 

Barbara is not val, so the sidebar isn't relevant for this character (its a specific rule for a specific race). Using that sidebar is how a val gains their free flintlock (val Nobles have to technically use the sidebar for their flintlock, so don't have as many customization options).

For a human, going Soldier (Feature: Patrician/Retainer) doesn't give anything I'm trying to achieve. That would make her a grunt legionnaire with a slave and no social rank.
It *does* work if you are a val, as you become a Soldier/Noble birth with a slave and a flintlock.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:26 am 

Then how did you manage to get the Background feature to swap? If what's stated above only works for Vals, how are you doing it for your build? I admit, I am a tad lost in this instance :lol: (also, please do not look at as it I'm questioning your build. I am super curious of what others come up with and how and your build has caught my attention :))

Echo
B-lister, Super Human, Brawler
"Bringing the noise!"

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:45 am 

Customizing your background (as per PHB and campaign guide).

The big trick I have found is that starting equipment is all or nothing. You get stuck with the Class/Background equipment OR take maximum cash for your class.

Taking the cash is detrimental in every combination I have looked at so far.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric Go to page 1, 2  Next