Last visit was: It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Sama PC Race 5e
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:57 pm 

I was reading through the Codex Geographica about the Blessed Lands and got to a description of the Sama in the First City. I hadn't ever heard of this insectoid race before. I checked the index to see if they were presented as a new race here, then found their bestiary entry in the book. I checked in on the Facebook group to see if they had been published as a race anywhere else, as they seemed interesting (especially as a new race able to practice elder magic), and was told they had not. So I have attempted to write them up based on their bestiary entry. I play in 5e, so I have attempted to stat them for that system. I have little experience making races to know if this comes across as balanced or reasonable, and I've only got the lore I read in the Codex Geographica to know if they seem reasonable. I won't repeat the flavor text, but here are the mechanics I've worked up... please let me know your thoughts.

SAMA

Ability Score Increase: Your Intelligence and Dexterity scores each increase by 1, and your Strength score decreases by 1.

Size: Small

Speed: 30 feet

Double Jointed: You can squeeze into and through spaces that are too small for other creatures your size. You are always considered to be one size category smaller than your current size for purposes of squeezing.

Hard to Read: Your anatomy and inhuman mannerisms make it difficult for others to determine your truthfulness, mood, etc. Anyone attempting to use Insight on you rolls their check at disadvantage. [DM may also tweak DCs for social skill checks you make depending on your target's attitude toward you.]

Eidetic Memory: You are able to recall with total accuracy anything that you have seen. You are able to recite or write verbatim anything you have read in a language you understand. This also applies to a wizard’s spellbook; though you must still prepare your spells, you do not need to carry a spellbook with you or use it to prepare or cast your spells, and your time spent preparing spells that you have memorized is halved.

Atheistic: You may not gain access to the Arcanum through divine classes.

Inhuman Body: Armor or clothing that would normally be worn on a human’s legs does not fit a sama. They must have these types of armors customized – a process which makes the armor cost 1.5x its base cost.

Home Nation: Sama are only born in a portion of the Vastwood neighboring the Blessed Lands, and all of them call the Blessed Lands home.

Languages: You start with your national languages. You also learn a number of extra languages of your choice equal to 1 + your Intelligence modifer. You are not automatically literate unless your chosen background grants literacy or you sacrifice one of your extra languages.

Subraces: Sama do not have subraces; however, they undergo drastic psychological changes when they reach maturity. Select one of the following age categories. At the DM's discretion, an adolescent sama may become an adult sama, losing all the adolescent sama's traits and gaining the adult sama's traits. An adult sama may not become an adolescent sama except through magical means.

Adolescent Sama

Ability Score Increase: Your Dexterity score increases by an additional 1 (to a total bonus of 2).

Daredevil: When you use your action to make a skill or ability check to perform an action that would cause you harm should you fail, you gain advantage on that check. If you already have advantage on the check from another source, you gain a +5 bonus to your result. This ability recharges after a short rest.

Impatient: If you make a skill or ability check to perform a task outside of combat and are unsuccessful, all subsequent attempts to perform the task are made at disadvantage. (As per the rules for advantage and disadvantage, if you gain advantage on the subsequent attempts somehow, it cancels out with your disadvantage and you make the check normally).

Adult Sama

Ability Score Increase: Your Intelligence score increases by an additional 1 (to a total bonus of 2)

Ardent Atheist: This creature’s mindset completely devoid of any structured belief system; as such they are resistant to divine magic. They are immune to the paladin and holy champion's Smite ability, they gain advantage on saving throws made against spells cast through divine magic, and spells cast through divine magic against them are cast with disadvantage.

Concentration Advantage: Any time you suffer damage you may use your reaction to gain advantage on any check required for you to concentrate on a task, such as a retaining concentration on a spell.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Sama PC Race 5e
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:25 pm 

Rellott wrote:
I was reading through the Codex Geographica about the Blessed Lands and got to a description of the Sama in the First City. I hadn't ever heard of this insectoid race before. I checked the index to see if they were presented as a new race here, then found their bestiary entry in the book. I checked in on the Facebook group to see if they had been published as a race anywhere else, as they seemed interesting (especially as a new race able to practice elder magic), and was told they had not. So I have attempted to write them up based on their bestiary entry. I play in 5e, so I have attempted to stat them for that system. I have little experience making races to know if this comes across as balanced or reasonable, and I've only got the lore I read in the Codex Geographica to know if they seem reasonable. I won't repeat the flavor text, but here are the mechanics I've worked up... please let me know your thoughts.

SAMA

Ability Score Increase: Your Intelligence and Dexterity scores each increase by 1, and your Strength score decreases by 1.

Size: Small

Speed: 30 feet

Double Jointed: You can squeeze into and through spaces that are too small for other creatures your size. You are always considered to be one size category smaller than your current size for purposes of squeezing.

Hard to Read: Your anatomy and inhuman mannerisms make it difficult for others to determine your truthfulness, mood, etc. Anyone attempting to use Insight on you rolls their check at disadvantage. [DM may also tweak DCs for social skill checks you make depending on your target's attitude toward you.]

Eidetic Memory: You are able to recall with total accuracy anything that you have seen. You are able to recite or write verbatim anything you have read in a language you understand. This also applies to a wizard’s spellbook; though you must still prepare your spells, you do not need to carry a spellbook with you or use it to prepare or cast your spells, and your time spent preparing spells that you have memorized is halved.

Atheistic: You may not gain access to the Arcanum through divine classes.

Inhuman Body: Armor or clothing that would normally be worn on a human’s legs does not fit a sama. They must have these types of armors customized – a process which makes the armor cost 1.5x its base cost.

Home Nation: Sama are only born in a portion of the Vastwood neighboring the Blessed Lands, and all of them call the Blessed Lands home.

Languages: You start with your national languages. You also learn a number of extra languages of your choice equal to 1 + your Intelligence modifer. You are not automatically literate unless your chosen background grants literacy or you sacrifice one of your extra languages.

Subraces: Sama do not have subraces; however, they undergo drastic psychological changes when they reach maturity. Select one of the following age categories. At the DM's discretion, an adolescent sama may become an adult sama, losing all the adolescent sama's traits and gaining the adult sama's traits. An adult sama may not become an adolescent sama except through magical means.

Adolescent Sama

Ability Score Increase: Your Dexterity score increases by an additional 1 (to a total bonus of 2).

Daredevil: When you use your action to make a skill or ability check to perform an action that would cause you harm should you fail, you gain advantage on that check. If you already have advantage on the check from another source, you gain a +5 bonus to your result. This ability recharges after a short rest.

Impatient: If you make a skill or ability check to perform a task outside of combat and are unsuccessful, all subsequent attempts to perform the task are made at disadvantage. (As per the rules for advantage and disadvantage, if you gain advantage on the subsequent attempts somehow, it cancels out with your disadvantage and you make the check normally).

Adult Sama

Ability Score Increase: Your Intelligence score increases by an additional 1 (to a total bonus of 2)

Ardent Atheist: This creature’s mindset completely devoid of any structured belief system; as such they are resistant to divine magic. They are immune to the paladin and holy champion's Smite ability, they gain advantage on saving throws made against spells cast through divine magic, and spells cast through divine magic against them are cast with disadvantage.

Concentration Advantage: Any time you suffer damage you may use your reaction to gain advantage on any check required for you to concentrate on a task, such as a retaining concentration on a spell.

Saw your post on FB, this is a interesting build! They seem way cooler than the Thri-kreen.

Offline Profile