Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Comparison of Spell Lists by Caster
PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:52 am 

Let’s put philosophy and metaphysics aside for this post. When you get down to the flashy effects at "street level," just what really separates an Eldritch caster’s Sorcery from a Priest armed with Cants? How are the manifestations of a Psion different than those of an Elder caster? Primal vs. Sorcerer Priest? What’s the difference between the types of spells they can cast?

THE key difference is what’s in their repertoire of available spells.

I usually play spell casters in RPGs. And ever since the second edition of D&D (long long ago …) I’ve tried to break down spells into one of 8 categories. They are: ATTACK (spells that do direct damage to foes), BUFF (spells that help you (mostly) to hit and do damage foes), CONTROL (spells that move, slow down or otherwise penalize enemies), ESPIONAGE (spells that give bonuses to interactions, provide information, or spells that keep you from being detected), MOBILITY (spells that let you go places you otherwise couldn’t), RESTORATIVE (healing and spells that get rid of “bad stuff”), PROTECTION (spells that prevent you from being damaged or controlled) and SUMMON (spells that either bring you minions to fight for you or other useful gear).

When looked at in this light it becomes obvious that different traditions are better at some areas than others.

The cliff notes version at Tiers 1&2 is:

CANTS: unsurprisingly are the best at Restoration. They also have good Protection and Buffing spells. Preists of Yaris aside, Cants are lacking in Mobility and to a lesser extent Control. The choice of your God gives additional access to different options.
ELDER: has the best Summoning options. It also has great Control selections and has comparatively good Mobility & Espionage options. Not much Protection, also some important Attack spells (like Elemental Bolt) are slower than other traditions. Zero Restorative.
ELDRITCH: Strong attack and Control options. Comparatively good Espionage options. More and better Protection & Buff options than Elder, but less Mobility (@ Tier 1) and Summoning. Zero Restorative
PRIMAL: fairly balanced across the 8 categories. You get at least a little in everything over the First 2 tiers. With Path of the Raptor you get true flight (with some restrictions) at T2. That makes it the winner in Mobility. Not great in Protection.
PSIONIC: fairly balanced across the 8 categories. The winner in Espionage by virtue of Clairvoyance (and some other decent options). Different Attack and Control options that aren’t based on the elemental tradition. Better Protection than Elder, Eldritch, or Primal. Unique powers that target “entropic” foes. Your Heritage also unlocks additional options.
SORCERER PRIEST: does everything except mobility. Based on the choices you make in your Tier 1 & 2 spells you can essentially match most other Traditions in the areas they do best (you still finish second to Cants in Restorative and probably Psionics in Espionage). But even if you can do almost anything you can’t do everything. More than the other traditions, you need to think about what you want to excel at.

What follows in the next 6 posts is a look at the spell lists of each type of caster with spells slotted into functions (Attack, Buff etc) rather than the tradition they come from. A few spells (like Benediction of the Gods) get listed in more than one place. If you disagree with where a spell is listed feel free to let me know and share the place you think it should be (and why it should be changed) .

AKA Ambassador Tukufu, man of letters, tomb raider and Master Sword Sage
. . . and Sir Szymon val'Holryn, Order of the Phoenix
Formerly Sir Jaeger val'Holryn. Weilder of the Holy Avenger: Thonanos. Gave his soul to help free King Noen

Last edited by val Holryn on Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Comparison of Spell Lists by Caster
PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:52 am 

CANTS @ TIER 1 (Anathema/Benedictions=A, Corpus=C, (Base) Deity=D, Universal = U, Wards=W)

ATTACK: Castigate (A), Smite Heretic (C), Eye for an Eye (A)
BUFF: Benediction of the Gods (A), Brittle Bones (C),
CONTROL: Awe (D), Seal Portal (W)
ESPIONAGE: Alter Appearance (C), Detect Unnatural Creatures (D), Blessings of the Faithful (U)
MOBILITY: - - -
PROTECTION: Benediction of the Gods (A), Immune to Adverse Climates (A), Sanctify Ground (A), Ward of Protection (W), Ward of Shielding (W), Ward vs. the Unnatural (W), Alarm (W), Elemental Ward (W), Inertial Shield (W), Nether Shield (W)
RESTORATIVE: Stabilize (A), Cure Affliction (C), Diminish Fatigue (C), Restore Senses (C), Remove Curse (D), Channeling (D), Purification (D)
SUMMON: - - -

CANTS @ TIER 2

ATTACK: Bleed (C), Retributive Ward (W), Righteous Strike (D), Shared Sacrifice (C)
BUFF: Sanctify Weapon (A), Blessed Pledge (A)
CONTROL: Enveloping Ward (W), Numb (C), Forced Reverence (D)
ESPIONAGE: - - -
PROTECTION: Conviction (A), Heretic Shield (A/D), Runic Ward (W), Stalwart Presence (D), Ward of Denial (W)
RESTORATIVE: Vindication (A), Stabilize (C), Rejuvenation (C), Revitalization (C), Healing Embrace (W)

CANTS @ TIER 3

ATTACK: Elemental Aura (W)
BUFF: Righteousness (D), Corona of Glory (D)
CONTROL: Censure Heretic (A), Shatter Bone (C), Smell of Death (C)
PROTECTION: Stalwart Presence (A), Righteousness (D), Corona of Glory (D)
RESTORATIVE: Stalwart Presence (A), Cleanse the Blood (C), Mend Wounds (C), Resurgence (C)
SUMMON: Blessed Protector (D)
. . . . . SPECIAL: Banishment (W) Spd 12. Eliminates summoned Infernals.

Formerly Sir Jaeger val'Holryn. Weilder of the Holy Avenger: Thonanos. Gave his soul to help free King Noen

Last edited by val Holryn on Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:53 am 

ELDER @ TIER 1 (Control=O, Creation=C, Elemental=E, Transmutation=T) Some elemental spells are marked with an "*" which are cast at +1 speed, -1 strain. Mechanically this is usually a disadvantage when compared to the other casters who also get the base spells in the Elemental Tradition. See pg. 342 A:RPG

ATTACK: Storm of Knives (C), Elemental Bolt (E*), Heat Wave (E*)
BUFF: Body of the Warrior (T), Brittle Bones (T), Elemental Circle (E)
CONTROL: Black Ice (C/E*), Entangling Webs (C), Flash(C), Halt (O), Cloud Mind (O), Mind Lock (O), Gale Force Winds (C), Delusions of Grandeur (O), Confound (O), Fog Cloud (C)
ESPIONAGE: Mind Link (O), Heighten Senses (T), Quiet (C)
MOBILITY: Slip Sideways (T)
PROTECTION: Earthen Shield (E*)
RESTORATIVE - - -
SUMMON: Call to Arms (C), Ebon Blade (C), Ebon Shield (C), Elemental Guardians (E)

ELDER @ TIER 2

ATTACK: Arc of Lightning (C), Elemental Tempest (E*), Inner Spirit (E), Spontaneous Combustion (E*), Rot (T), Violent Growth (T), Brittle Steel (C), Twister(E*)
BUFF: Quicken Step (T), Infuse with Confidence (O), Weaken Material (T)
CONTROL: Binding Chains (C), Compel Animal (O), Enemy of My Enemy (O)
ESPIONAGE: Manipulate Senses (O), Share Senses (O), Deeper Understanding (O)
MOBILITY: Dolphin Chant (E*), Solidify Water (E*), Advantageous Positioning (T)
PROTECTION: Elemental Ward (E*)
RESTORATIVE: - - -
SUMMON: Manufacture (C/T), Summon Steed (C), Ebon Armor (C), Witch Blade (C)

ELDER @ TIER 3

ATTACK: Lightning Strike (C), Ebon Orb (C), Earth Strike (E*), Suffocate (E*), Life Leech (T), Brittle Steel (E*), Ring of Fire (E*), Blood to Ashes (T)
BUFF: Steal Capacity (O), Spell Matrix (C)
CONTROL: Iron Ramparts (C), Suffocate (E*), Puppet Master (O), Mental Block (O), Captivating Melody (O), Steal Capacity (0), Ring of Fire (E*), Force Upon the Mortal Coil (T)
ESPIONAGE: Scrying Inscription (C), Chameleon (T)
MOBILITY: Distant Steps (T)
PROTECTION: Ebon Orb (C), Runic Ward (E*)
RESTORATIVE: Life Leech (T)
SUMMON: Summon High Elemental (E)

Last edited by val Holryn on Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

Offline Profile  

ELDRITCH @ TIER 1 (Battle=B, Creation=C, Elemental=E, Illusion=I)

ATTACK: Arc of Lightning (B), Whirling Blade (B), Storm of Knives (C), Elemental Bolt (E), Heat Wave (E)
BUFF: Quicken Step (B), Ghostly Adversary (I)
CONTROL: Force Push (B), Black Ice(C), Entangling Web(C), Flash(C), Gale Force Winds(C), Confound (I), Dome of Shadow (I), Enemy of my Enemy (I), Fog Cloud (C/I)
ESPIONAGE: Quiet (C), Dome of Shadow (I), Personal Illusion (I)
PROTECTION: Earthen Shield (E), Inertial Shield (B), Misdirect Fire (B)
SUMMON: Call to Arms (C)

ELDRITCH @ TIER 2

ATTACK: Far Strike (B), Serpent’s Strike (B), Arc of Lightning (C), Elemental Tempest (E), Spontaneous Combustion (E), Brittle Steel (E), Twister (E)
BUFF: Ghostly Legion (I)
CONTROL: Binding Chains (C), Disorient (I), Illusory Object (I)
ESPIONAGE: Illusory Messenger (I), Quiet (C)
MOBILITY: Dolphin Chant (E), Solidify Water (E), Advantageous Positioning (B)
PROTECTION: Alarm (B), Elemental Ward (E)
SUMMON: Summon Steed (B/C), Manufacture (C), Illusory Beast (I)

ELDRITCH @ TIER 3

ATTACK: Brittle Steel (E), Ring of Fire (E), Retributive Ward (B), Lightning Strike (C), Earth Strike (E), Suffocate (E)
BUFF: Spell Matrix (C), Illusory Doubles (I), Celerity (B)
CONTROL: Ring of Fire (E), Iron Ramparts (B/C), Suffocate (E), Captivating Melody (I)
ESPIONAGE: Scrying Inscription (I/C)
MOBILITY: Not Where You Think (I)
PROTECTION: Illusory Doubles (I), Runic Ward (E), Not Where You Think (I)

Last edited by val Holryn on Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:44 am, edited 2 times in total.

Offline Profile  

PRIMAL @ TIER 1 (Animism=A, Elemental=E, Hex=H, Necromancy=N)

ATTACK: Elemental Bolt (E), Heat Wave (E), Earthen Spikes (E), Steal Water (E), Inflict Pain (H), Rattle the Bones (N)
BUFF: Bloodlust (A), Claws of the Beast (A), Path of the Wolf (A)
CONTROL: Bestial Rage (A), Black Ice (E), Gale Force Winds (E), Affliction (H), Diminish Senses (H), Black Tongue (H), Evil Eye (H)
ESPIONAGE:
MOBILITY: Catfall (A), Molt (A),
PROTECTION: Earthen Shield (E), Sway Beasts (A)
RESTORATIVE: A Pound of Flesh (N), Strength from Fallen Foes (N)
SUMMON: Grave Blight: Zombie (N), Path of the Wolf (A)

PRIMAL @ TIER 2

ATTACK: Elemental Tempest (E), Biting Frost (E), Spontaneous Combustion (E), Twister (E), Vampiric Touch (N)
BUFF: Blessings of the Pack leader (A), Path of the Raptor (A), Expedite Poison (N), Brittle Bones (N)
CONTROL: Primal Roar (A), Twisted Fate (H), Whispers of Terror (H), Compel Animal (A), Baneful Prophesy (H), Glimpse the Cauldron (H), Spiritual Exile (H), Waves of Exhaustion (N)
ESPIONAGE: Scrying Inscription (H)
MOBILITY: Dolphin Chant (E), Solidify Water (E), Path of the Raptor (A)
PROTECTION: - - -
RESTORATIVE: - - - (but see Vampiric Touch under Attack)
SUMMON: Mark of Thralldom (N)

PRIMAL @ TIER 3

ATTACK: Inferno (E), Earth Strike (E), Suffocate (E), Life Leech (N), Chill of the Grave (N)
BUFF: Aspect of the Beast (A), Path of the Shadow Lion (A), Diabolical Pact (H)
CONTROL: Suffocate (E), Bestow Curse (H)
MOBILITY: Aspect of the Beast (A), Diabolical Pact (H)
PROTECTION: Runic Ward (E)
RESTORATIVE: Arcane Pact (H), Life Leech (N), Grave Blessings (N)
SUMMON: Swarm of Locusts

Last edited by val Holryn on Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:46 am, edited 2 times in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:54 am 

PSIONIC @ TIER 1 (Control=O, (Base) Heritage=H, Kinetic=K, Transmutation=T)

ATTACK: Mental Scream (O), Empathic Link (O), Concussive Wave (K), Whirling Blade (K), Brittle Bones (T)
BUFF: Silent No Longer (H), Body of the Warrior (T)
CONTROL: Confound (O), Halt (O), Chains of Mental Might (K), Force Push (K), Delusions of Grandeur (O)
ESPIONAGE: Alter Appearance (T), Heighten Senses (T), Mind Link (O)
PROTECTION: Voice in the Silence (H), Mind Ward (O)
RESTORATIVE: Refresh the Body (T)
SUMMON: Telekinesis (K), Gladius of Light (H)

PSIONIC @ TIER 2

ATTACK: Hurl (K), Kinetic Bolt (K), Pyrokinesis (K), Violent Growth (T), Mind Spike (O)
BUFF: Quicken Step (T), Infuse with Confidence (O), Weaken Material (K/T)
CONTROL: Compel Animal (O), Enemy of My Enemy (O), Mental Disruption (O), Suppress Psionics (O),
ESPIONAGE: Clairvoyance (O), Deeper Understanding (O), Share Senses (O)
MOBILITY: Advantageous Positioning (T), Hurl (K)
PROTECTION: Conviction (H), Rebuke Lesser (H), Ward of Shielding (K), Misdirect Fire (K), Inertial Shield (K)
RESTORATIVE: Master Thy Self (T)
SUMMON: Manufacture (T)

PSIONIC @ TIER 3

ATTACK: Synaptic Shock (O), Mind Spike (H), Life Leech (T), Rattle (K), Blood to Ashes (T)
BUFF: Shape Change (T), Channel Kinetic Force (K)
CONTROL: Mental Block (O), Puppet Master (O), Synaptic Shock (O), Captivating Melody (O), Mind Spike (H), Enveloping Ward (K), Force Barrier (K), Rattle (K), Force Upon the Mortal Coil (T)
ESPIONAGE: Chameleon (T)
MOBILITY: Shape Change (T)
PROTECTION: Channel Kinetic Force (K)
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . SPECIAL: Banishment (H)

Last edited by val Holryn on Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

Offline Profile  

SORCEROR PRIEST @ TIER 1 (Blood=B, Creation=C, Elemental=E, Illusion=I, Ward=W)

ATTACK: Bleed (B), Blood Boil (B), Storm of Knives (C), Heat Wave (E), Elemental Bolt (E)
BUFF: Ghostly Adversary (I)
CONTROL: Black Ice (C/E), Entangling Web (C), Flash (C), Gail Force Winds (E), Confound (I), Enemy of My Enemy (I), Fog Cloud (C/I), Dome of Shadow (I)
ESPIONAGE: Blood Spider (B), Dome of Shadow (I), Personal Illusion (I), Quiet (C)
PROTECTION: Elemental Ward (W), Inertial Shield (W), Ward of Protection (W), Ward of Shielding (W), Nether Ward (W), Earthen Shield (E)
RESTORATIVE: Diminish Fatigue (B), Strength of Fallen Foes (B)
SUMMON: Call to Arms (C)

SORCERER PRIEST @ TIER 2

ATTACK: Blood Whip (B), Steal Water (B), Elemental tempest (E), Spontaneous Combustion (E), Arc of Lightning (C), Retributive Ward (W), Brittle Steel (C/E), Twister (E)
BUFF: Benediction of the Gods (B), Ghostly Legion (I), Blood Brand (B)
CONTROL: Binding Chains (C), Disorient (I), Illusory Object (I), Enveloping Ward (W)
ESPIONAGE: Illusory Messenger (I), Quiet (I)
MOBILITY: Dolphin Chant (E), Solidify Water (E)
PROTECTION: Runic Ward (W), Elemental ward (E), Ward of Denial (W)
RESTORATIVE: Healing Embrace (W)
SUMMON: Summon Steed (C), Manufacture (C), Illusory Beast (I)
. . . . . SPECIAL: Banishment (B) Spd 12. Eliminates summoned Infernals.

SORCERER PRIEST @ TIER 3

ATTACK: Lightning Strike (C), Earth Strike (E), Suffocate (E), Elemental Aura (W), Brittle Steel (E), Ring of Fire (E)
BUFF: Sanctify Weapons (B)
CONTROL: Iron Ramparts (C), Suffocate (C), Captivating Melody (I), Sarish’s Price (B), Ring of Fire (E)
ESPIONAGE: Scrying Inscriptions (C/I)
MOBILITY: Not Where You Think (I)
PROTECTION: Runic Ward (E), Not Where You Think (I), Illusory Doubles (I)
RESTORATIVE: Cleanse the Blood (B), Arcane Pact (W)
SUMMON: Summon Sarish’s Own (B)
. . . . . . . . . . SPECIAL: Banishment (W)

Last edited by val Holryn on Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

Offline Profile  

SPECIFIC DEITY SPELLS (Al=Altheris, An=Anshar, B=Belisarda, Be=Beltine, Ca=Cadic, F=Fire Dragon, Hu=Hurrian, Il=Illiir, La=Larissa, Ne=Neroth, Ni=Nier, Sa=Saluwe, Ya=Yarris, Y=Yig)

TIER 1

ATTACK: Anshar’s Caress (A), Crushing Weight (B), Slash the Soul (Be), Breath of the Dragon (F), Vampiric Touch (Ne), Elemental Bolt (Ni/Ya), Shared Sacrifice (A), Tear at the Flesh (Ne)
BUFF: Chink in the Armor (Al), Skin of Thorns (A), Precognition (La), Bloodlust (S), Expedite Poison (Y), Weaken Material (Al)
CONTROL: Grey Mists (Be), Dome of Shadow (Ca), Word of Command (Il), Nature’s Embrace (S), Fog Cloud (Hu), Twisted Fate (La)
ESPIONAGE: Dome of Shadow (Ca), Light in Truth (Il), Whispered Prayers (Ca)
PROTECTIVE: Ghost in the Machine (Al), Scales of the Dragon (F), Vestments of the Lady (La), Protection from Fire (Ni)
RESTORATIVE: Life’s Blessing (B)
SUMMON: Manipulate Shadows (Ca), Grave Blight: Skeletons (Ne), Call of the Wild (S)

TIER 2

ATTACK: Blessed Radiance (Il), Arc of Lightning (Al), Unending Pain (A), Flaying Darkness (Ca), Lightning Strike (hu), Return to Thy Rest (B, Be, Ne), Elemental Aura (Ni)
BUFF: Zealot’s Fervor (Ni), Brittle Bones (A), My Honor is My Strength (Il), Luck of Fools (La), Blessings of Plenty (S),
CONTROL: Force Upon the Mortal Coil (Be), Captivating Melody (Ca), Dragon’s Roar (F), Bestow Curse (Il), Sultry Whispers (La), Neroth’s Embrace (Ne), Compel Animal (S)
ESPIONAGE: Deeper Understanding (Al)
MOBILITY: Skyward (Hu), Dolphin Chant (Ya)
PROTECTIVE: Nether Ward (Be), Protection from Fire (F)
RESTORATIVE: Revitalize (B), Mend the Spirit (Be), Blessings of Plenty (S), Healing Waters (Ya)
SUMMON: Radiant Falcon (Il), Resplendent Bow (B), Wooden Asp (Y), The Blade of Our Lord (Ni)

TIER 3

ATTACK: Whirlwind of Blades (Hu), Inferno (Ni), Breath of Yarris (Ya), Coils of Flame (F)
BUFF: Hammer & Anvil (Al), Dragon’s Fury (F), Perfect Human Form (Il),
CONTROL: Just Torment (A), Waves of Exhaustion (B), Exorcism (Be), Larissa’s Fickleness (La), Serpent Hiss (Y), Coils of Flame (F)
ESPIONAGE: Scrying Inscription (Ca)
PROTECTIVE: - - -
RESTORATIVE: - - - (see also Exorcism)
SUMMON: Mark of the Thrall (Ne), Swarm of Locusts (S), Deep Lord’s Trident (Ya)

Last edited by val Holryn on Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:55 am 

SPECIFIC HERITAGE SPELLS (Ab=val Abebi, In=val Inares, Is=val Ishi, Bo=val Borda, Te=val Tensen, As=val Assante, Sh=val Sheem, Mo=val Mordane, VE=val Virdan/Emman, De=val Dellenov, Me=val Mehan, Os=val Ossan)

TIER 1

ATTACK: Touch of the 1st Gift (Ab), Cascading radiance (As), Scorching Touch (VE), Recall thy Pain (In), Bleed (Me), Rot the Flesh (Mo), Deep Chill (Os), Elemental Bolt (Os), Thunder (Te), Javelin of Lightning (Te), Shared Sacrifice (In)
BUFF: Guidance of the Elders (Ab), Precognition (Sh), Cat’s Grace (Me), Brainstorm (Ab), Weaken Material (Ab)
CONTROL: Flash (As), Chimes on the Wind (Bo), Glimpse the Cauldron (Is), Recall thy Pain (In), Affliction (Mo), Bitter Sweet Kiss (Sh), Primal Roar (De)
ESPIONAGE: Heighten Senses (De), Sense Blood (Me)
PROTECTIVE: Protection from Fire (VE), Shield Other (Te), Bestial Hide (De)
RESTORATIVE: Empathic Healing (Is)
SUMMON: Manipulate Shadows (Bo)

TIER 2

ATTACK: Lightning Armor (Te), Ring of Fire (VE), Slash the Soul (Is), Steal Water (Os), Vampiric Touch (Mo)
BUFF: Aspect of the Beast (S), Excel in Action (As), Final Note (Bo), Shadow Form (Ca), Sun at Our Backs (As)
CONTROL: Insult to Injury (Sh), Sweet Nothings (Sh)
ESPIONAGE: Deeper Understanding (Ab)
MOBILITY: Aspect of the Beast (S), Breath of Yarris (Os)
PROTECTIVE: Deny Death (Mo), Martyr’s Suffering (In), Nether Ward (Be)
RESTORATIVE: Healing Waters (Os) (see also Vampiric Touch)
SUMMON: Blade of Our Lord (VE)

TIER 3

ATTACK: Elemental Aura (VE), Lightning Strike (Te)
BUFF: Steal Capacity (Ab), Crown of Radiance (As), The Beast Within (De), Neroth’s Embrace (Mo), Touch of Madness (Sh)
CONTROL: Steal Capacity (Ab), Bindings of Sarish (Me)
MOBILITY: Ghost Step (Is), Distant Steps (In), Lightning Strike (Te)
PROTECTIVE: - - -
SUMMON: Shadow Twin (Bo)

Last edited by val Holryn on Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:51 am, edited 2 times in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 5:21 pm 

I would put the tier II heritage spell, "aspect of the beast" under a mobility spell as well, since it is the earliest form of good flight that allows spell casting while in effect. Very powerful heritage spell in that role.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric Go to page 1, 2  Next