What about different kinds of Dwarves?
Is the maternal gene dominant? I thought I read that somewhere

Loyal Companions:
OSHA, Wardog, peg-legged, horribly scarred, great sense of humor
Ursella, Combat Riding Black Bear

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Breeding of the races
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:28 pm 

Henry has said elsewhere all dwarves can interbreed as they are all the same species. I assume that when it comes to determining enclave it is either the enclave they were born in or random chance in terms of what stone they have to bathe in the light of.

Haakon Marcus val'Virdan, Divine Holy Judge of Nier
Ruma val'Vasik, Martial Crusader and Master of the Spear
Jorma Osterman, Arcane Coryani Battlemage

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:50 pm 
There's also the interesting (to me anyway) detail that Elorii are subject to the usual returns from random genetics. We know now that the first batches were resistant to psionics and that when that trait stopped being useful the Sstherics "bred" it out of them.

For me that's a bit queer for illustrating a line between who a given Eloran soul is and who they become physically. I'd been assuming that the soul directs the expression of the body it returns to and if so that has all kind of interesting implications about how Eloran society is expressed with the lack of paternity and it's attendant taboos.

As an example Father Anaris and Mother Belavosa create child Celia. Celia, under my old model, has the same characteristics that she's had in every life since her first and doesn't "take" after either parent.

This would do all kind of interesting things to Eloran concepts of family, sexual jealousy, the role of the parents in shaping the individual's place in the greater society, and more.

But apparently that's not the case.

So the new questions include the question of birth defects. Do they happen, and if so how often? Does the defect alter the soul of the elorii?
Do reincarnating elorii ever change sexes when they reincarnate?
Does the flavor of the soul change (I suspect not, but still..)?
How much can an elorii's mental and physical attributes vary -is Salvos ever reborn "dumb"?
How much does a child take after their parents?
How much can an given soul change in a life -if Magros is reborn Maggie and nobody tells her who she was can his soul change?
Does a soul ever vary in potency -the racial talents and feats tend to flavor as "your soul is X stronger" so do souls wax and wane in might between incarnations?
Do elorii still raise children in creches?

There's also the issue of elorii not being subject to evolutionary pressures to consider.
If an elorii is psychopathic does s/he have that as a "soul trait" or do they have to be taught to disregard empathy?
Do elorii rape?
Do elorii feel reflexive jealousy?
Are elorii inclined towards monogamy?

That's all I can remember right now, but establishing that elorii genetics can be altered (and even exist trans-generationally) and that they (probably) aren't influenced by evolutionary psychology quite how an eloran mind works and why would be well worth knowing more about.

My impression of the Elorii was very much that they were, not just culturally but individually, "unchanging." If not so, what now?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 2:55 am 

The only question you raise that I can answer is the one on raising children in creches. We are told somewhere (probably the original codex or eldest sons) that elorii initially live with their birth parents but then move out to join a "hall" that is elementally themed.

So as i understand it Celia (let's say she's Marokene) spends 10 years with mom and dad (maybe 2 Ardakenes) and then moves out to join the other "marokenes" ... perhaps somewhat like when kids in the real world go to college or start looking for their first apartment.

It might be true that parent\child bonds are at least somewhat limited vis-a-via the human baseline because the period of development is truncated. Or it might not ... I don't know. I also don't know how often "cross element" partnerships form. If all the elorii most often hang out with their kind then it stands to reason that most intimate relationships form within the same elemental flavor. I wonder if cross elemental partnerships are ever viewed with suspicion by your "elementally aligned" friends. This might have a dimension in parent-child bonds. Would Kelekene parents form a closer bond with their Kelekene child then they would if their child were Berokene? Lots of questions...all concealed behind the Laerestri veil of ignorance.

One thing I do know is that births are very rare. So it's probably an instant block party when a child is born. And I suspect there is no shortage of volunteers if Mom & Dad need a baby sitter some Saturday night. From age 1-10 an elorii child probably has neighbors falling over each other to make a fuss over them. Almost all elorii children are single children. Even if Mom and Dad somehow hit the jackpot twice and have a second child the first should be grown and more like an uncle or aunt.

I believe there is more than the soul at stake in determining the direction and outcome of each (eloran) life. So I am sure there is some variability. "Salvos" might not be born dumb but he might be merely "noticeably brighter" or a "genius" depending on Mom and Dad. This suggests that the scope of free will might in practice be more limited for elorii...at a guess. For a soul do genders ever flip? I think not for elorii...that's a guess but it's somewhat illuminated by what we know from the old module the Banished.

Birth defects? I guess it could sometimes happen. Are elorii tempted to euthanize a birth that obviously suffers from abnormalities (to free the soul to be reborn in a "proper" body?). We don't know...its behind the veil of ignorance. Possibly interesting for gnome characters to think about too.

Sex drive? Rape? Not topics I expect a huge amount of coverage in a living campaign. But since elorii don't have the same reproductive imperatives of mortals I would guess the libedo could be lower. Or not. Sadly I think rape is still on the table. That potentially has as much to do with power imbalances as sex drive. Though outside the Coeseli there may be fewer such imbalances in elori society. We just don't know.

A lot of the above is my speculation and guess work. maybe I'm wrong.

AKA Ambassador Tukufu, man of letters, tomb raider and Master Sword Sage
. . . and Sir Szymon val'Holryn, Order of the Phoenix
Formerly Sir Jaeger val'Holryn. Weilder of the Holy Avenger: Thonanos. Gave his soul to help free King Noen

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric Go to page Previous  1, 2