Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Gnomes!!!!!!
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:01 pm 

Could or would a gnome result of a Val and dwarf romance? What would their surname be?

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Gnomes!!!!!!
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:29 pm 

I don't believe by canon that vals and dwarves can breed offspring.

Kelb'Bakari Masalio, Dark-kin Altherian Corsair, Gentleman Archaeologist, and Wandering Bard
"The highest compliment an Altherian can pay you is to shoot you with his flintlock. It means you were worth the expense."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:40 pm 

That doesn't make much sense. Dwarves and humans can breed offspring. Vals and humans can breed offspring. Logically, dwarves and val should be able to breed offspring.

Eryk Bauer - Martial Awakened 1.2

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:41 pm 

It's not that uncommon. In traditional D&D, humans and elves could produce offspring, and humans and orcs could produce offspring, but you never saw orcs and elves produce offspring.

Just because one species is close enough to 2 other species (races) to interbreed, doesn't mean those other 2 species are close enough to each other to do so.

John

Kelb'Bakari Masalio, Dark-kin Altherian Corsair, Gentleman Archaeologist, and Wandering Bard
"The highest compliment an Altherian can pay you is to shoot you with his flintlock. It means you were worth the expense."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:40 pm 

My interpretation is that yes a Val and a Gnome can breed, the Curse would be more powerful than the Val trait. As such, a Dwarf or Gnome with a Val should make a Gnome.

As to last name, a Val would never (out of fear of their own life) claim a Gnome as their child (at least officially). If they did, the stigma would be so great that one or both would be killed or maybe sold to slavery. This is not the loving world of today, and the sanctity of the Val race is something NO human society would allow to pass by in such a case. As such, if the Gnome is allowed to live it would not carry a 'Val Name', and probably not carry a Vassal Family name either. They would be buried so deep you would never be able to connect them to the Vals

Haakon Marcus val'Virdan, Divine Holy Judge of Nier
Ruma val'Vasik, Martial Crusader and Master of the Spear
Jorma Osterman, Arcane Coryani Battlemage

Last edited by Nierite on Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:07 pm 

I essentially agree with all Cody's points. I also believe that val's can act as a human to produce a gnome (I assume this is true for dark-kin as well). It does not appear that gnomes can pick up (ahem) grey eyes and a penchant for psionics nor that gnomes ever arise with a tainted bloodline.

Is that because they are so rare that we just haven't seen one? (And like Cody I totally agree that a gnome from a val mother is a secret that gets burried so deep you need a snorkle just to look for clues ... provided "it" wasn't strangled at birth). Or is there something in the bloodlines that is incompatible? I personally like the idea of such a horrendous scandal since it could lead to cool adventure seeds.

AKA Ambassador Tukufu, man of letters, tomb raider and Master Sword Sage
. . . and Sir Szymon val'Holryn, Order of the Phoenix
Formerly Sir Jaeger val'Holryn. Weilder of the Holy Avenger: Thonanos. Gave his soul to help free King Noen

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 5:37 am 

Holding to my "dormant genes" theory, I can see Val and Dwarf making a gnome. Vals are divinely influenced humans. Due to the curse, the necessary factors to produce a Val in a Val-Val or Val-Human relationship would be cancelled out by the curse upon the Dwarves, thus making a Val-Dwarf relationship the same as a Human-Dwarf one.

My "dormant gene" theory is that Val genes hold additional instructions that can be carried in human offspring but requires an undetermined "divine spark" for the instructions to be applied in the early fetus development. ...which makes me wonder what would happen if a newly pregnant val mother was forced to remain in the Ghost Scale's stone's range until birth (maybe another thread for theories).

Offline Profile