Last visit was: It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Val's going primal
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:28 pm 

Yeah, if you are a primal caster then you are not a vanilla member of the Mother Church (or derivatives). But so what? There is plenty of evidence that primal casters recognize the PoM as "big spirits" and offer them respect. And if you primarily reside in the Blessed Lands or Hinterlands and/or you are private/discrete then I don't think its a big deal.

If you're running around as a witch advertising your ability to hex people ... well yeah that could generate interest. So is seeking converts in thee Western Lands or the heartland of a PoM country. And of course Inquisitors won't like you. But maybe elorii will?

Bottom line ... I foresee no special problems for a primal val due to their valness.

AKA Ambassador Tukufu, man of letters, tomb raider and Master Sword Sage
. . . and Sir Szymon val'Holryn, Order of the Phoenix
Formerly Sir Jaeger val'Holryn. Weilder of the Holy Avenger: Thonanos. Gave his soul to help free King Noen

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:14 am 

To me the way the question was posed smacks of something that is going to be used to justify something on down the line that is not nearly as agreeable, kinda a bait and switch type setup.

so what are you actually planning on doing with this Eric?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:37 pm 

:P Well we've worked through the chariot and man catcher staff designs. Maybe he's cycling back to the attack geese of the Panari "air corp" ... or maybe his character is just going to be another Mourner?

Like Wiley Coyote it's hard to guess exactly what Eric's going to dream up next.

AKA Ambassador Tukufu, man of letters, tomb raider and Master Sword Sage
. . . and Sir Szymon val'Holryn, Order of the Phoenix
Formerly Sir Jaeger val'Holryn. Weilder of the Holy Avenger: Thonanos. Gave his soul to help free King Noen

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:41 pm 

For the record...i loved the geese. The Panari IKs even released stats for them...they had a "wing buffet" attack. Hmmm.....*starts writing stats*

-general creator of mayhem and discord
-Exceptional quality PCI Minion and indentured servant
-Lord of the Hummingbirds

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:43 pm 

Matt, if you are bringing the Geese back you have to bring back the heretical cult of the Demon Goose as well. The Demon Goose was when I would share spells a host of personal spells with one of the geese. Spells included horrific visage, produce flame, armor, and barkskin. Plus something that let it grow fangs. :-)

As for the rest of you... I already stated in another thread what I was doing. I am making Elsa the Ice Queen from Frozen at the special request of my 5 y.o. daughter. She has brain washed me with the movie and the song Let it Go. So before you guys throw a wet blanket on my party, you have to watch Frozen at least 10 times, and listen to Let it Go at least 50. :-)

Now for Josh and anybody else that insists on spoilers. Here is the build I have thus far...

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/942 ... 0Queed.pdf

The part about being "one xenophobe away from a lynching" is covered in the movie. It is also covered in the back story for the PC. In the PC's case a lynch mob caused her to flee Almeric to the mountains of Ulfilia.

Now if you want something to debate, take a look at the Gust of Wind / Elemental Bolt advanced spell in Custom Advanced Spells I posted.

There once was a gnome called Oozy,
Who kissed a Yaricite floozy.
But rather than wed,
She drowned him instead,
Now he is a Yaricite toosey!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:06 pm 

Yeah I actually wasnt asking about the build, I'm asking about the story you are going to use to justify the build how are you connecting the character to being a primal caster, I mean yeah elsa the ice queen, sure but if you want to play disney characters toon might be a good game, but this is arcanis, where we play arcanis characters, what makes this an arcanis character?

However Your build makes my brain hurt
1 you have a whole bunch differnt arcums listed, I assume you mean arcanum Shaminism for all of them
2 you cant get two ranks in heal in the point choose option
3 uhh your skill points dont work out correctly if you count heal as 1 point i see you as spending 8 skill points
4 Almeric, Deceit

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:46 pm 

My inspiration for character development is purely my prerogative. Why does it matter if I build a character off of a famous Russian fairly tail, or Ben Hur's Chariot race, a goose that attacked my car, Gollum from lord of the rings, or Boba Fett from Star Wars? Everyone has their own sources of creative inspiration. As long as it doesn't offend the sensibilities of decent society, or the game, I should be able freely build a PC within the spirit and letter of the rules.

As for primal, it is a build in progress as well. I've batted around all of the casting types both on my head and on paper. Elder (with a berokene) didn't have the social stigma that was key to the PC personality concept. Plus a high resolve countered the emotional lack of control exhibited in the film. But it let me maximize the elemental spell casting. Psionic, with val ossan powers, gave me direct access to cold with Deep Chill, but I couldn't Elemental Empower my waterbolts with it. Eldrich matched both the elemental powers, and the social stigma, but I didn't see the character as having a high logic. I landed on Primal when this thread answered back that a val with Primal could "put on a good show" of church loyalty while hiding a secret power. The social withdraw is explained by chilling presence. That the part about having a xenophobe start a lynch mob fit a major plot point. So that is where I am at right now.

If you have something constructive to say towards that end, I am willing to listen.

There once was a gnome called Oozy,
Who kissed a Yaricite floozy.
But rather than wed,
She drowned him instead,
Now he is a Yaricite toosey!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:56 pm 

If only Gelumancer was still a viable path in ARPG. . . Can't wait for Psionics Unbound 2 (The Revengence) to be considered, pitched, funded, written, and released! ;)

BTW, now I want to make a character based on Lumiere, complete with French accent!

Haakon Marcus val'Virdan, Divine Holy Judge of Nier
Ruma val'Vasik, Martial Crusader and Master of the Spear
Jorma Osterman, Arcane Coryani Battlemage

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:12 pm 

Nierite wrote:
BTW, now I want to make a character based on Lumiere, complete with French accent!

Be my guest!

Kelb'Bakari Masalio, Dark-kin Altherian Corsair, Gentleman Archaeologist, and Wandering Bard
"The highest compliment an Altherian can pay you is to shoot you with his flintlock. It means you were worth the expense."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:34 pm 

Cody,

All I can say to you wanting to build Lumiere is

"Ma chere Mademoiselle, it is with deepest pride and greatest pleasure that we welcome you tonight.

And now we invite you to relax, let us pull up a chair as the gaming room proudly presents -
your character!

Be my Guest,
Be my Guest,
put your PC to the test.
Pull your dice 'from your bag, cherie And we'll provide the rest
Schemes du jour
Plots that curve
Why, we only live to serve
Try the Larissian, shes Auspicious,
some might even say delicious.
He can sing, he can prance
Narrate in Interpretative Dance
And a BI here is never second best
Go on, unfold your Sheet
Take a glance and seat
Be our guest
Oui, our guest
Be our guest!

Gnome ragout
Troll souffle
Raging Neirites "en flambe"
We'll prepare and serve with flair
A terrifying cabaret!
You're alone
And you're scared
But the BIs all prepared
No one's gloomy or complaining
While the Silence entertaining
They tell jokes! They do tricks
Crush our minds like candlesticks
And it's all in perfect taste
That you can bet
Come on and move your ass
You've won your own free pass
To be out guest

If you're stressed
It's LARPING we suggest

Be our guest
Be our guest
Be our guest!"

That's all I have

Melbourne - Australia

Marco val'Sheem - Master Sword Sage
Gwe - Berokene Sailor & KNight of the 12 Oaks
Henrique Gatti- Dark-kin Archeologist

Tos'Koreth - Disciple of Jeggal Sag
Vuran - Tultipet Body Guard

The Axeman (LRC)

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next