Last visit was: It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Starting Out Playing Online
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:48 am 

I've recently picked up the core book, and I'm wondering what the best way to start playing in an online campaign, specifically the one on the Legends of Arcanis website. I was just hoping to get some advice on how to get started, and any other advice.

Also, I can't seem to download the campaign documents. I seem to only be getting an unusable file of no type. I'm probably missing something obvious, but I can't seem to figure it out.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Starting Out Playing Online
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:39 am 

that file of no type seems to happen in firefox of a certain build, I have the same problem on my work computer, if you rename it and put .pdf at the end it will work just fine

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:21 am 

Welcome MonkofLords!

If you're talking about getting involved in the Living campaign the upcoming mods are typically posted in the LA Campaign: Online Play forum. The games there I've been involved in typically use a combination of Roll20.net and Google Hangouts to provide map, audio and as desired video capability.

I wrote up an overview that you might find useful.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1328&hilit=roll20

There are 2 games running this week that I'm aware of. The first runs tomorrow night, but is only open to characters that aren't using the 1.5 leveling cert. It's a hard point in the middle of the first Arc, so probably not the best place to start but is available. Details on it are at viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1261

The second game is open to characters built using the 1.5 leveling cert. That one currently has a full table to 6 plus an alternate. If you're interested and available, you could put yourself down for it. The last one we had like that 3 people dropped for various reasons. Not typical, but it is possible. You can find out more about that game at viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1271

If you have more questions, don't hesitate to ask and once again, welcome!

With a sweep of his hat,

Paul

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:32 am 

MonkofLords wrote:
I've recently picked up the core book, and I'm wondering what the best way to start playing in an online campaign, specifically the one on the Legends of Arcanis website. I was just hoping to get some advice on how to get started, and any other advice.

This would be a good place to start, as it gives some basic information.

Unless you start off with an entirely new group, the odds of being able to run the entire campaign in sequence is fairly low, but there are plenty of pickup games being run all the time. Roll20 games are generally organized in the Online Play section of the forums, and if you're interested in a play-by-post (PbP) game just let us know here and we'll get you into the next one that starts up.

aka Rurik - Nol Dappan War Priest (Divine 2.3)
aka Karthik - Tultipetan Stonemason (Expert 1.4)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:47 am 

AAAND if you do have a group to play the mods from the beginning, I'm sure we can scrounge up some judges for you!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:55 pm 

Well if you need more people to join you in playing through the campaign, I'd love to do so if possible. As much as I've built characters and tried with my local group of friends, I've never finished the 2nd adventure of the first arc.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:58 pm 

There are two... any other people need to play some mods?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:24 pm 

My "primary" is missing quite a few of the arc 1 modules (and all of arc 2). I haven't been able to play many of them online as they are usually on Tuesdays (when I'm busy).

Eryk Bauer - Martial Awakened 1.2

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:38 pm 

Sounds great, and thanks for the advice all. The timezones in the Online Play forum appear to be all EST, and I'm AZ time...which is currently equivalent to PST I think.

I should probably start by building a character then, was thinking of some sort of musician...wanderer...guy. I noticed something in the documents about starting at Tier 1 or 1.5. How likely is it to start straight from Tier 1?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:03 pm 

The tier 1.5 starting characters have to skip the entire arc 1. If you want to experience the game I'd strongly suggest tier 1. As for timezone I'm actually CST so 1 hour closer to you, I just think the server assumes EST by default if you don't change it.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric Go to page 1, 2  Next