Last visit was: It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Paths when your source is Sorcerer Priest of Sarish
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:45 pm 

Another option would be to submit your own idea for a Sarishan Holy Order Path. PCI does take submissions (a significant portion of the Codex of Heroes was submitted, IIRC), though PCI is not obligated to ACCEPT your suggestions.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=904&p=8819&hilit=Paradigm+Concepts%2C+Inc.+%E2%80%9CPCI%E2%80%9D+#p8819

Haakon Marcus val'Virdan, Divine Holy Judge of Nier
Ruma val'Vasik, Martial Crusader and Master of the Spear
Jorma Osterman, Arcane Coryani Battlemage

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:35 pm 

You might look at Sword Saint. Kinda redundant with access but the skills and talents aren't bad. Implies a piousness that isn't directly linked to a political order. Devoted covers some of the same ground as Sword Saint. Catenary from Codex of Heroes could be a good fit too, though emphasizes melee vs. infernals. Bard - kinda a pain in the butt to meet the prereqs for, but could be an interesting choice for a PC who is also a courtier of some stripe. The spell song adaptation is interesting.

AKA Ambassador Tukufu, man of letters, tomb raider and Master Sword Sage
. . . and Sir Szymon val'Holryn, Order of the Phoenix
Formerly Sir Jaeger val'Holryn. Weilder of the Holy Avenger: Thonanos. Gave his soul to help free King Noen

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:56 pm 

Okay, FINALLY near a computer where I can access my books!

Backgrounds - Any Martial Background, emphasis on Templar of Sarish.

Paths to look at - Sorcerer-Priest of Sarish, Annointed Priest of Sarish, Sarishan Binder, Order of the Inner Demon, War Priest (ASC: SPS should count as DSC), Sword Saint, War Mage, Devoted (best when not directly 'priestly'), Initiate Itinerant (if you decide to go the Priest route), Templar Itinerant (same if you don't take Templar at Background), Holy Champion

Talents to look at - Warrior Priest, Warrior Mage, Sword and Spell, Smite Infidel.

Haakon Marcus val'Virdan, Divine Holy Judge of Nier
Ruma val'Vasik, Martial Crusader and Master of the Spear
Jorma Osterman, Arcane Coryani Battlemage

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:12 pm 

In the old Kio naming convention Sarish was called Dimray. I don't know if that's that's cannon anymore. I think not. But if you really want to differentiate yourself from the Mother Church I would think about calling myself, "a servant of Dimray (or the Lord of Magic), whom you in the North and East call Sarish."

On the whole the Kio are not supposed to be all that zealous in their religious beliefs. Milage obviously varies by player/character. I believe there are followers of the PoM in Whon and elsewhere in the League, who do not answer to the hierarchy of the Mother Church. Hopefully the Kio book will be illuminating.

Formerly Sir Jaeger val'Holryn. Weilder of the Holy Avenger: Thonanos. Gave his soul to help free King Noen

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:14 pm 

Thank you all for your responses. Looks like I should wait for the errata and the next 2 books before taking any paths in Tier I.

I have some doubt that DSC is the same as ASC: SPS, but if true would certainly open up more options. Personally though it would would seem more reasonable if ASC: SPS were an acceptable substitution for ASC: Eldritch and if it were specifically confirmed that Templars and Priests of Sarish have access to Devout talents. My current reading is that they do not get such access.

Thanks,

aka Kaylith Dracul val'Sungha, Templar of Sarish

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:57 pm 

Talen Drake wrote:
<snip>I have some doubt that DSC is the same as ASC: SPS, but if true would certainly open up more options.

In talks with Pedro it is only ASC, but a Sorcerer Priest of Sarish has access to both Arcane and Devout talents. If you're a Devout archetype though it does count as one of your 2 Devout talents if you want to use that advancement. Devout talents that specifically require Cants they don't qualify for. I hope to see this in the set of Errata that's due out shortly.

Talen Drake wrote:
Personally though it would would seem more reasonable if ASC: SPS were an acceptable substitution for ASC: Eldritch

I respectfully and strongly disagree with this. ASC: SPS is a very different animal and mindset to ASC: Eldritch. It breaks a lot of the rules in terms of what they have access to, how divine magic interacts with "arcane". Because they are so different, I wouldn't expect to see someone who's doing a SPS as a Magi. Given the number of SPS specific Paths already, they're not shortchanged. They in fact have more than most if not all other caster types.

From a concept perspective though, there's nothing to say you couldn't have someone who's a "devout" follower of Sarish who's an Eldritch caster. It's a different mindset, but it would need to be.

With a sweep of his hat,

Paul

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:37 pm 

Quote:
Question: Do you use the Arcane Archetype or the Divine Archetype to make a Sorcerer-Priest of Sarish?
Answer: You can use either Archetype to make a Sorcerer-Priest of Sarish. Your choice will determine your starting skills and Talents as well as your Archetype specific advancement options. If you select the Divine Archetype you gain the Talent Arcane Spell Casting: Sorcerer-Priest of
Sarish instead of gaining the Divine Spell Casting Talent.

thats from the proposed eratta, I think it definitively answers your concern

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:43 pm 

I don't have my books in front of me but I'm pretty sure atcthexstart of the Talent's section it explicitly states gaining ASC SP opens up both arcane and and devout talents.

Most places/paths that give you DSC as a talent explicitly give you ASC ASAP if you are a a SP. I believe it also says (somewhere) that this happens.

I think you'll have less luck with explicitly Arcane paths. SPs are generally taught within their Temple. Elder itch casters are not.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:17 pm 

Pg 170 of the ASE:RP states
Quote:
You may learn Devout
talents if you possess either the Arcane Spell Casting:
Sorcerer Priest of Sarish Talent or any of the Divine Spell
Casting Talents. You may learn Arcanum Talents once you
have acquired the Arcane Spell Casting Talent.

Naturally if there are other requirements you have to meet those as well.

You are right Talen Drake, a lot of the SPS paths are based on taking divine backgrounds, like Templar or Initiate of the Gods, but depending on what aspect of Sarish you follow there are different avenues you can take. For example if you follow the Demon aspect and wish to be a demon hunter there is Cantenari Path from CoH regardless of your archetype or background.
If you wish to follow his Magic aspect Arcane Archetype with Initiate of the Gods background is the best combo (IMO), because Initiate of the Gods is the only background to grant both 1 Arcanum skill and 1 Combat skill. This grants you access to all the SPS Paths.
I would recommend avoiding the Santorum Mage background it's a dead end for SPS.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:22 pm 

Talen Drake wrote:
SamhainIA wrote:
Sarish has the most paths specifically available to it for any casting class.

Sarishan binder Can't get there without going Priest
Sorcerer Priest Can't get there without going Priest
order of the inner demon Can't get there except as Coryani, and does not fit the Paladin concept.
Priest of Sarish Can't get there without going Priest
Holy Champion of Sarish Not a casting class. Definitely on the list though.

Oath Crafter (Encali) Have to be a dwarf
Order of the Ivory Bow Have to be a Dark Kin

Not saying there are no paths. I am looking for something more mage like and less priest like. My character grew up in the Temple of Sarish in Blackwand. His father is a val' Mehan Sorcerer Priest and his mother is a val'Sungha Knight of the Order of Yhrki. Due to the gorilla war with Coryan he didn't get much mommy time, but he trained every day with the Templars and tries to live up to Knightly ideals. Sadly for his hopes and dreams Sarish has made him a potent blooded prodigy. Still he is vehemently opposed to taking orders in the Mother Church of Coryan as he views it as an extension of Coryani Imperialism.

Hi Talen Drake,

I should have responded to this earlier but a couple items of note / interest:

1. There is technically no Temple of Sarish specifically in Blackwand. Blackwand has the only ancient, yet active Pantheonist Church in the Western lands representing every God with but one order of priests and monks (according to Codex Arcanis).

2. Your Mother, being a member of the Order of Yhrki, is currently being hunted down by the Royal House of Sungha on charges of treason (I believe you can get the details of it in Western Lands writeup of the main rule book). I had introduced an NPC, a 'living saint' amongst the Kio in "Once Upon A Time in Metra' who is responsible for hunting down the members of the Order, dead or alive.. I hope to go back to that plot one of these days.

Otherwise, I think you got some really nice suggestions from the board members here, path-wise.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next