Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: GM Experience Enhancements
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:42 pm 

Hey guys,

I just wanted to run some ideas by the community, see if there was any interest or other ideas out there. Becoming a good GM takes time and practice, like anything else. Sometimes we develop bad habits. Often times the same people end up GMing over and over because no one else will. These factors, and others, combine to occasionally create bad situations; occasions where players aren't happy, where GMs feel that its them against the players and vice versa, or where the shared experience just never happens because the GM is tired of running and no one steps up.

I would like to address some of these issues, and build up a greater community of GMs in Arcanis, which in turns makes for a more enjoyable experience for the players.

The ideas I had were:
GM levels - Just like your character, you gain experience as you GM. Over time, you would get access to interesting information, unique flavour items, and additional opportunities.
GM Ratings - A voluntary system where judges ask for honest feedback at the end of modules. For any judge who wants to improve their skills, or discover what areas they could do better in. The feedback would be sent in to the Campaign Staff, who would work with individual judges to develop their talents.
GM Mentoring- For people who would be willing to GM but aren't entirely confident, a GM Mentoring program that pairs experienced/popular GMs with less experienced ones at conventions to assist as needed.

Everyone has their own style, and I don't want to negate that at all, but I think a combination of something like these would encourage more people to GM, and help develop all the GMs to be a little bit better.

Thoughts?

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: GM Experience Enhancements
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:38 pm 

Sounds good to me. Sign me up.

With a sweep of his hat,

Paul

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:31 pm 

I mean this only as a constructive crticism, but with the number of things the campaign staff already have on their plates (and the delays that already exist as a result), I don't think it is a good idea to create anything that will require ongoing monitoring by staff.

I do like the idea of GM xp, and I think the best way to handle this is to simply add a GM cert to each module, and let them track their own xp just like a PC. There will be a very small time commitment required for PCI.

As for questions/mentoring, there is already a place for GMs on the forums, and a large number of talented GMs who never hesitate to answer questions or give advice. In short, I don't see a need for anything more than what is already in place.

Additionally, most players already give feedback to their GMs. I don't think that there is any need to create a PCI rating system...seems unnecessary, and I think as a GM I would rather hear constructive criticism from one of my players than someone who wasn't actually at the table.

As a person who is involved in multiple settings, I think that PCI is already ahead of the ball in GM incentives. Most settings do not give GMs character xp unless they have eaten the module.

aka Rurik - Nol Dappan War Priest (Divine 2.3)
aka Karthik - Tultipetan Stonemason (Expert 1.4)

Last edited by acurrier on Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:06 pm 

I'm going to agree with acurrier, I think the campiagn staff already have enough on their plate work wise, there are many things in line that I would rather see than a GM system, particularly a GM system that doesnt help the overall play environment.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:20 pm 

I agree with Akira that any system should be fairly light on the staff for implementation. A GM cert could fit that bill. I don't play other systems, so can't comment on how they treat their GMs.

To Josh's point about whether it's needed or not compared to other options, I don't know. If there's more demand for tables than there are GMs to run them, then I would say there's an issue at least if it's persistent and/or a significant gap.

If the problem is more specific to cons rather than in general, then perhaps more of a GM reward there.

Josh: Where would you suggest the staff spend it's time in place of something light like GM certs or something similar?

One advantage of getting more GMs in is that you lessen the likelihood of burnout. It also means you've got a larger pool of people to draw from if the regular volunteers aren't available for whatever reason.

I expect most GMs would prefer not to eat mods when possible. Perhaps part of it is more in ensuring that there are some online play opportunities planned with a priority given for folks who will then turn around and run them for others.

With a sweep of his hat,

Paul

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 2:29 am 

The RPGA used to have a system like what is being proposed.

At the time I found the formal player feedback useful. Less in improving my "overall" levels of GMing than in making sure the "spotlight" moved all the way around the table. I would occasionally get feedback of the 4-5 start range (good) from five of the six players and get low balled by 1 person. And then I'd reflect on why that one score was low ... and usually it was form the person I thought was "quiet" and it dawned on me I hadn't interacted with them as much as they wanted me too. That process made me a better convention GM and as I got better at moving the spotlight around the odd low scores essentially disappeared.

Formal feedback IMO was less truthful with a regular local crowd where you know everyone. Then there can be social pressure of one type or another. And I know at least one person who hated the feedback all together because (I think) they found it intimidating to be critiqued. Still, I know I prepped harder for modules when I was judged for my judging...the idea that there can be some kind of formal feedback for judges at the end of mods is idea that might be worth looking at (even if Campaign staff never see it).

OTOH I really thought the judges experience points missed the mark. Yes if you were a "master" or a "grandmaster" (or a paragon) level "person" you occasionally could find a special table at the big Cons to sit to with other such people. In theory its an elite honor. In practice though, those numbers don't have much at all to do with your actual skill level as a judge. Consider. You are a really superior judge, but you only judge 6 rounds a year. Your total score will be low. Or you are an indifferent judge but you run a round every weekend. Congrats Paragon Gamemaster! Your score is astronomical!

I think a GM mentoring seminar would be great at a big con. I years long past I've gone to a couple at Winter Fantasy. The ones where it was a "lecture" I found really dull. The ones with essentially a small "table" and a mentor were often lively and interesting. Not sure how you arm twist the mentors to show up.

I agree with concerns that there is a limited "manna bar" on the campaign staff's time and energy and I would rather see it used to turn out updates to the errata & the campaign guide rather then hark off in different directions (and get more modules out the door. In my perfect world here would be 2 new Arcanis Mods every month).

AKA Ambassador Tukufu, man of letters, tomb raider and Master Sword Sage
. . . and Sir Szymon val'Holryn, Order of the Phoenix
Formerly Sir Jaeger val'Holryn. Weilder of the Holy Avenger: Thonanos. Gave his soul to help free King Noen

Offline Profile