Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Advanced Spell: Arctic Impact
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:50 am 

So after reading, re-reading, and re-re-reading the (soon to be official) errata for creating Advanced Spells, I though I'd take a crack at creating one. Here's hoping I got the mechanics right and worded in a fasion to add descriptive flavor.

Arctic Impact
Black Ice & Elemental Bolt
Tradition: Elemental (Tier 1)
Category: Advanced
CTN: 30
Speed(Strain): 6(+11) [7(+10) for Elder casters]
Range: 30'(10' radius)
Duration: Instant (Special: Black Ice component - Scene. See below)
Defense: Avoidance (Special. See below)
Description: You cast a large sphere of frozen hail at an area, damaging all who are within it. The impact covers the area with slippery ice.
Effect: Choose the Element Water. Arctic Impact deals d6(Primary) water (Ice, Bludgeon) damage. The surface of the area designated becomes blanketed in ice. Upon their action, any creature standing within the spell's radius must perform an Acrobatics or Athletics (balance) (Qu) Action skill roll vs. your passive Arcanum Value or fall Prone. Creatures with clawed feet or without legs gain a +3 bonus to this roll. The area impacted is very susceptible to Fire spells. Any area effect Fire spells targeting the area of this spell and who's caster's attack roll surpasses your Passive Arcanum Value instantly dissipates the patch of ice covering the ground (Black Ice component).
Adaptation: Increase the CTN by 2 to increase the range by 30'. This adaptation may be applied multiple times.
Adaptation: Increase the CTN by 3 and strain by 1 to apply a Die Bump to the damage die. This adaptation may be applied multiple times.
Restriction: This spell may only be cast as a Water Element.
Restriction: You must already have a readily available source of Water somewhere adjacent to you to cast this spell, unless you are capable of producing it yourself (such as a Val'Ossan or Berokene Elorii).
Special(and Restriction): This spell is cast (CTN, Speed, and Strain already calculated) with the Elemental Bolt adaptation changing the range to 30'(10' radius) already applied. As such, the Elemental Bolt adaptation to affect an additional target may never be applied.

Enjoy,

Echo
B-lister, Super Human, Brawler
"Bringing the noise!"

Last edited by EddieS on Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:17 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Advanced Spell: Arctic Impact
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:33 am 

I'm holding off updating the Advanced Spells/Maneuver threads until after the errata is finalized. However, I did have a question; Is the water restriction your own for flavor of the advanced spell?

John

Kelb'Bakari Masalio, Dark-kin Altherian Corsair, Gentleman Archaeologist, and Wandering Bard
"The highest compliment an Altherian can pay you is to shoot you with his flintlock. It means you were worth the expense."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:36 am 

Harliquinn wrote:
However, I did have a question; Is the water restriction your own for flavor of the advanced spell?

John

Yes and no. At first it was due to the vulnerability of Black Ice to fire spells. It would have made little sense to cast a Fire Elemental Bolt with Black Ice, believing to be counter-intuitive. Then flavor kicked in. Earth and Ice didn't rub well with concept, and Air/Ice hit a tad closer to home. I decided to make it Water as it fell most inline with the Black Ice Component, the Spell's name, and theme.

Echo
"Bringing the noise!"

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:10 am 

That's cool. I just noticed the Special restriction and didn't recall where that would come from.

John

Kelb'Bakari Masalio, Dark-kin Altherian Corsair, Gentleman Archaeologist, and Wandering Bard
"The highest compliment an Altherian can pay you is to shoot you with his flintlock. It means you were worth the expense."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:51 pm 

Harliquinn wrote:
That's cool. I just noticed the Special restriction and didn't recall where that would come from.

John

Which portion?

Also, had to rework the wording with the final range. After re-reading the proposed Errata gain, it seems the application of adaptations are done AFTER the combination of spells (including adjusted ranges).
The Range is 30'(10' radius).

Echo
"Bringing the noise!"

Last edited by EddieS on Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:07 pm 

EddieS wrote:
Harliquinn wrote:

John

Which portion? The range changing to 30'(5' Radius) or the lack of being able to apply the Elemental Bolt adaptation to change the range to 30' (2 targets)?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:12 pm 

Harliquinn wrote:

Ah! That was all due to flavor. It's kinda difficult to call the spell "Arctic ..." when lobbing a Fire ball, Earth ball, or Air ball. Know what I mean? hehe ;) :lol:

Echo
"Bringing the noise!"

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:20 pm 

Workings:
Elemental Bolt: CTN 24, Sp 6 (+6) [as it requires Adaptation *before* it can be combined with Black Ice]
Black Ice: CTN 18, Spd 4 (+3)

Advanced Speed: 6 (+10)

Also the base Range would be 30' (5' radius) when Advanced.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:10 pm 

Southernskies wrote:
Workings:
Elemental Bolt: CTN 24, Sp 6 (+6) [as it requires Adaptation *before* it can be combined with Black Ice]
Black Ice: CTN 18, Spd 4 (+3)

Advanced Speed: 6 (+10)

Also the base Range would be 30' (5' radius) when Advanced.

You sure? I swore the (soon to be) new rulings made it that you applied Adaptation to the advanced spell, not the bases. So it would have made the spell go from 30'(1 Target) to 30'(10' radius).

Also, did not the (soon to be) new rules say Speed(Strain) was Slowest spell's speed + faster spell's Speed added as strain, making this spell a 4(+4) then 6(+8) after adaptation?

Update: Yep, you're correct. It's faster spell's Speed added as additional strain. Thx for pointing that out. Correcting it above.

As for the adaptation, the way I have it is adhering to the soon to be errata'd rule.

Echo
"Bringing the noise!"

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:24 am 

If you want the spell to be more than 1 Target, you must apply the 30' (10' Radius) Adaptation to Elemental Bolt first. Then combined with Black Ice, it becomes 30' (5' Radius). You then can apply either adaptation to the Advanced Spell (assuming the adaptation makes sense)

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric Go to page 1, 2  Next