Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: The wish list
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:44 pm 

So as players what things are on your wishlist to be included in future books? Keep in mind guys this isn't to make demands, but if they happen to have a page or so of space in a future book what would you want there.

I'll start mine with the battle skill and what it already talks about. I want to see at least a simple version of the Battle system that is supposed to be in the Chronicler's Guide when it gets released. The second item I'd like to see is some of these siege weapons we can use the battle skill to operate, I've already pondered the small ones like a roman scorpion or the insanity of a cannon.

While I'm not sure how to pull it off yet I'd like to see a system to really differentiate armors from each other. They feel like they are all the same, so why not grab the one you can use with the best AR and lowest bulk you can get. I envision something to allow for armors to be better vs some attack types and weaker vs others, the classic chain stops a sword cut but its flexibility makes it weak vs a mace blow. I can see this done with more liberal use of qualities or a maneuver system.

I'd like to know more about the "bigger picture". I've heard talk of the cosmology being something along the lines of a source of creation and the darkness further out, with the world of Arcanis in the middle. How about what do we know about the continents other than the broken history of known lands.

Lastly is more of a project for our enterprising and knowledgeable fans. Put the campaign arcs into a novel or novella format following a single group through the events. I have always felt like I really don't know the setting because I haven't played the old campaign and I can't get to the events for the current one. I think it would be highly entertaining and educational about the world to follow a troupe through the living history as many of the old hands here have done. I could see it being very similar to the original DragonLance novels, as they were just an adaptation of their game.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: The wish list
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:23 pm 

What I've often wanted is a good summary of the setting. I tend to like condensed information (so facts minus most of the fluff).

What major events happened in which regions at what times (in a timeline format per nation)? What are the most important details of the nation (in a bullet-point format or similar)? What are the important differences between regions within a nation?

What are major details that aren't covered in the current system books? I've read Codex Arcanis but I still often see references to knowledge or events I know nothing about (I was never part of the old campaign either).

----------------------------------------------

All of my players are new to Arcanis and 1 or 2 are new to RPGs. What my players have most often asked for (a few of them anyway) is a better Codex Arcanis section of the rulebook. Something easy to digest (so a mix of facts and fluff) that is written well and better organized (I think they mean fewer flipping back and forth to understand things). One player insists that the writing in the Codex Arcanis section of the main rulebook is horrible and hard to get through (I can't really say as I've read far worse gaming books).

Eryk Bauer - Martial Awakened 1.2

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:49 am 

wilcoxon wrote:
What I've often wanted is a good summary of the setting. I tend to like condensed information (so facts minus most of the fluff).

What major events happened in which regions at what times (in a timeline format per nation)? What are the most important details of the nation (in a bullet-point format or similar)? What are the important differences between regions within a nation?

What are major details that aren't covered in the current system books? I've read Codex Arcanis but I still often see references to knowledge or events I know nothing about (I was never part of the old campaign either).

----------------------------------------------

All of my players are new to Arcanis and 1 or 2 are new to RPGs. What my players have most often asked for (a few of them anyway) is a better Codex Arcanis section of the rulebook. Something easy to digest (so a mix of facts and fluff) that is written well and better organized (I think they mean fewer flipping back and forth to understand things). One player insists that the writing in the Codex Arcanis section of the main rulebook is horrible and hard to get through (I can't really say as I've read far worse gaming books).

THIS THIS THIS!

I want short, ebooks through drive through RPG. You hit me with a 30(?) page book, I'd drop 5 bucks without thinking.

I love to see lots of smaller books with one large book a year.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:58 am 

wilcoxon wrote:
One player insists that the writing in the Codex Arcanis section of the main rulebook is horrible and hard to get through (I can't really say as I've read far worse gaming books).

How so? Seriously asking here..

Paradigm Concepts
Miami, Florida

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:50 am 

wilcoxon wrote:
Keep in mind that one of the selling points in Arcanis is that there are so few unambiguous facts. Most of the facts are hidden behind layers of "fluff." And figuring out what fluff is right and what fluff is wrong is part of the fun. Now, some facts are unambiguous to our characters... In 1070 IC, King Osric calls the 6th Crusade of Light. Or... On such-and-such date the battle of <whatever> began and on this date it officially ended. Things like that. But even those become more and more obscured as we look further back in time. So while something like this would be nice, as we got further and further away from Arcanis' present, the less and less trustworthy it would become.

Scott

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:21 pm 

What I'd like most to see are the Historica Geographica Series greatly expanded, with at least one coming out a year. I know we're getting the Blessed Lands and the rereleased Ssethregore sometime between now and September, and there is the Kio-mini Sourcebook coming out in a vaguely similar timeline, but I just want more (to quote the internet PUT IT IN MY EYES!!!!). As much as the epic volume of the Codex Arcanis 2 (the Revengening?) interests me, I would greatly prefer to see each section get its own book similar to how Canceri and Ssethregore did. I'd love to see a Khitani Book, a Coryani Book, a Milandir/Almeric book, a new Legacy of Damnation/Unsealed Lands Book, a Western Lands/Uggur/whatever else book, etc. These more 'personal' documents give more room to explore the cultures and histories of these nations rather than having to crowbar them into a much more (relatively) limited page count.

Also, as stated before, I'm FAR more willing to buy 5x $15 books over a year than a single $50 book, if only because I'm stupid and can't do math :P It is harder to rationalize single big-money spendings, but much easier to rationalize smaller ones spread out over a year, even if the final monies are the same.

Another thing I'd LOVE to see would be a new Psionics Unbound-type book, and (as a player of a Divine caster) that Codex of Faith idea which was dropped a while ago, but hasn't made it (officially) past the title and general idea stage from what I can tell. We're already getting an Elder Sorcery book from the Kickstarter, so these types of books seem completely possible to me.

Haakon Marcus val'Virdan, Divine Holy Judge of Nier
Ruma val'Vasik, Martial Crusader and Master of the Spear
Jorma Osterman, Arcane Coryani Battlemage

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:56 pm 

I realize that this might be a little too specific, but I would really love to see more information on the Vrain. It has always seemed to me that there are some really great stories to tell there...certainly an opportunity for some dungeon delve modules.

aka Rurik - Nol Dappan War Priest (Divine 2.3)
aka Karthik - Tultipetan Stonemason (Expert 1.4)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:05 pm 

Books?

What I'd love to see most is an Arcanis version of Dread Bloodlines. DB was a Ravenloft book that came out of the White Wolf 3.X era and used the idea of fleshing out regions through the most prominent families and how they might be used as adventure seeds.

An Arcanis version might illuminate royal and imperial life through those who surround the King and Emperor. And show the life of the powerful outside of those centers of power with an example of powerful regional players and or how the merchant houses interact in a place like Censure or the First City.

A geographical survey heavy on Maps would also be highly desire able to me.

AKA Ambassador Tukufu, man of letters, tomb raider and Master Sword Sage
. . . and Sir Szymon val'Holryn, Order of the Phoenix
Formerly Sir Jaeger val'Holryn. Weilder of the Holy Avenger: Thonanos. Gave his soul to help free King Noen

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:40 pm 

PCI_StatMonkey wrote:
wilcoxon wrote:
One player insists that the writing in the Codex Arcanis section of the main rulebook is horrible and hard to get through (I can't really say as I've read far worse gaming books).

How so? Seriously asking here..

I'll ask for more details and get back to you...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:42 pm 

DeadZone wrote:
wilcoxon wrote:
Keep in mind that one of the selling points in Arcanis is that there are so few unambiguous facts. Most of the facts are hidden behind layers of "fluff." And figuring out what fluff is right and what fluff is wrong is part of the fun. Now, some facts are unambiguous to our characters... In 1070 IC, King Osric calls the 6th Crusade of Light. Or... On such-and-such date the battle of <whatever> began and on this date it officially ended. Things like that. But even those become more and more obscured as we look further back in time. So while something like this would be nice, as we got further and further away from Arcanis' present, the less and less trustworthy it would become.

Scott

Yep and I'm fine with that. I'd be fine with splitting facts from "we think this happened" (true or not) but I'd also be fine with everything listed together (so it's more unclear what's true and what's only thought to be true). I'd love something like a bulleted list of brief "facts" and a reference where to read more about it.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next