Last visit was: It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Origins of everyone else
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:30 am 

Here is something I've been ruminating on. It's been said in a couple of places that only Kassegore and Belisarda are credited with creating a race with souls out of nothing. (Though I suppose the Kio would say that the Creator of the Universe created them and their souls which would make 3...)

What about everything else?

It's long been a long and "interesting" omission that the Mother Church and the PoM has no origin story for humanity. Clearly that story has been redacted somewhere along the way. But it's not clear to me why or even whether the censors were divine or mortal.

But that just one (important) branch of the Tree of Sentient Life. What about everything else? Eladru? Other "Giants" (including dwarves, singarthans and the Ibon) How about the the Gar? Various "bugmen?" (Issori or Sama. Pick either or both.) Extra-planar gliding cat people from the original campaign? (Fihaldi?) Four armed "freaks" with a stupidly long grudge against Nierites? etc. etc. etc. Just where do all their souls and origin stories come from? They can't ALL be blank slates can they?

Can we assume that the "Creator of the Universe" made them and set aside souls for them as S/HE (allegedly) did for the Kio?

If Kassegore and Belisarda have done something special, beyond that of other capitol G gods, is it significant in some way that they both did *their creation of souls* on Arcanis? Or put another way ... is there something special metaphysically about planet Arcanis that goes beyond the fact that it happens to hosts all our PCs various adventures?

Where does everything originate from?

AKA Ambassador Tukufu, man of letters, tomb raider and Master Sword Sage
. . . and Sir Szymon val'Holryn, Order of the Phoenix
Formerly Sir Jaeger val'Holryn. Weilder of the Holy Avenger: Thonanos. Gave his soul to help free King Noen

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Origins of everyone else
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:15 am 

The main branch of humanity on Onara are mentioned multiple places as arriving by ship with the Pantheon.

Where they come from before that? That is the origin story that is suppressed. If humans pre-existed before the Pantheon 'collected' them for the journey, even the members of the Pantheon may not know the origin of humanity.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:55 am 

Hello Eric,

val Holryn wrote:
Four armed "freaks" with a stupidly long grudge against Nierites?

Hilarious. This actually made me laugh out loud. :-)

val Holryn wrote:
is there something special metaphysically about planet Arcanis that goes beyond the fact that it happens to hosts all our PCs various adventures?

I think this may be a completely separate question with implications beyond the original one posed.

This one is so insightful that I feel compelled to answer.

YES. There is something very special and specific about Arcanis in relation to both the far distant past and the present.

I look forward to reading everyone's thoughts on this.

Henry Lopez
President
PCI

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:43 am 

I can't take credit for any great insight. You suggested in an answer (somewhere a year or more in the past) that there IS something special about Arcanis that is different from other Mortal Realms. I had always thought that that having no less than FOUR different Pantheons founding major civilizations in the First City more than qualified Arcanis as a special place as the "Cosmic Capitol." Its only wrestling again with the idea that what Belisarda and Kassegore did was special that I wondered if Arcanis might be different and a prerequisite for soul creation.

But maybe not.

Still something ... important? Not sure what...

AKA Ambassador Tukufu, man of letters, tomb raider and Master Sword Sage
. . . and Sir Szymon val'Holryn, Order of the Phoenix
Formerly Sir Jaeger val'Holryn. Weilder of the Holy Avenger: Thonanos. Gave his soul to help free King Noen

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:16 pm 

The Sorcerer King is attempting to become the 5th Pantheon (making the Varn the 6th).

6 Pantheons or wannabe groups of deities running around...

Offline Profile