Last visit was: It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Origins 2018 Thanks
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:20 pm 

I want to thank everyone for another great year of campaign play at Origins. It is a true honor having you all as friends and , as I have said often before, Origins is a family reunion for me. Despite the effort needed, seeing everyone make it all worth it. I am sorry I could not linger more on Sunday and I missed saying goodbye.

I want to give thanks to a few people. First to Uncle Henry, Pedro, and Jimmy for letting us play in their sandbox.

To our judge volunteers: Tony Njissen, Melinda Reid, Scott Reid, Josh Elliott, Sean Esterline, Ryan Wendling, Ken McRowe, Paul Baughman, Paul Gerwe, John Bellando, Brian Tieken, Jeffrey Witthauer, Nicci Grigsby, Eric Hughes, and Kevin Grigsby. Without you, this would not be possible. You are amazing and valued.

Special thanks to Carl H Zinn III for being our chief Marshall, keeping the Gathering organized, and keeping me sane.

Finally, a major shout out to Cody Bergman. Not only did Cody judge the majority of the convention, he was absolutely instrumental in helping write both ARG and 5E stats and editing.

I cannot wait to see you all next year for the epic Year of [redacted for spoiler integrity].

-general creator of mayhem and discord
-Exceptional quality PCI Minion and indentured servant
-Lord of the Hummingbirds

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Origins 2018 Thanks
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:17 pm 

Hi Matthew. (Great first name btw)

Firstly Id like to thankyou for what you have done for the Arcanis Community at Origins. It cant be an easy job and some of the photos ive been seeing are fantastic.

However the reason Im reply is. I am unable to get to Origins (different continent), however I love to hear about numbers and stats but Im not sure what sort of record keeping you guys did.

Would it be possible to hear perhaps

A) How many brand new players you had?
B) What the mix was between ARG and 5e?
c) Most popular race? Least Popular? Classes?

Take all the time you need as I realise that the stages following the convention are the most draining.

THanks

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:50 pm 

I don't think ARG had any new players(well.... there were some younger players that were new to the con scene), 5e had a lot of new players, I'm not sure how many of those players were tourists, trying out the system, but the using the BI as a measure, I think there were a six to ten players who had never taken part in a BI before.

Table numbers for the BI, were 7 ARG(3 6 player tables and 4 7 player tables) and 6 5E ( because a judge dropped out at the last minute, I think all the tables were 6 persons)

Not all of the scheduled 5e tables went off, and some slots there were 8 man tables, the attendance of the 5e players was very spiky IMO. I think most of the ARG tables happened, and I know a bunch of extra unscheduled ARG tables happened.

Now, I know Matt says this a lot ( at least when I'm listening ) but if more people would volunteer to judge an extra slot or two, the convention staff would have a lot easier time making those extra tables happen (Thank you to the judges that stepped up, Tony, Paul, Eric, Sean I'm looking at you guys in particular)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:38 pm 

I will get a copy of the after-action report for number of "butts in seats". I know of 5 new (well, new to con play). 2 of which are kids for the ARG system. We had many new 5E players... probably 8 in the BI and severalfor intros and mods throughout the week.

Most represented race was Val, but new Kio and human characters made an appearance...as well as Kolkaran Minataurs and Havili aka "Black Val's".

-general creator of mayhem and discord
-Exceptional quality PCI Minion and indentured servant
-Lord of the Hummingbirds

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:04 pm 

I had a brand new ARG player at my BI table whose first experience with Arcanis was the night before at the interactive. He was the best friend of an existing ARG player and I expect he’ll be back. We started our kids on ARG this year, of which 2 made it to Origins.

One other note, Josh’s thanks for folks running extra slots referenced a Paul, which was Paul Baughman (not me). Credit where credit is due.

With a sweep of his hat,

Paul

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:32 pm 

I'd also like to take a minute to give a shout out to all the staff who make Origins happen. I was sure I wasn't making it this year. Traveling from Oregon is both expensive and time consuming ... but I was/am grateful that stars aligned at my end.

In addition to everyone Matt has mentioned I'd also really like to thank Mary, Chappel and Ken for making some extra slots happen. John Bellando who was my excellent BI judge..and who didn't *quite* kill Tukufu (just left him panicking as he scrambled to a map corner to try and heal). Hat, Ryan and a judge with a name badge that only said "Retsev Rah." She judged the first outing of my 5E (Talon of the Hawk) character...not intimidating at all!!! She ran a really excellent 5e round of Spear.

If the Deathwings or the Soldiers of [redacted] don't get me, I'll see you all next year!

AKA Ambassador Tukufu, man of letters, tomb raider and Master Sword Sage
. . . and Sir Szymon val'Holryn, Order of the Phoenix
Formerly Sir Jaeger val'Holryn. Weilder of the Holy Avenger: Thonanos. Gave his soul to help free King Noen

Offline Profile