Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Origins 2017 Volunteering Part Deux!!!
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:08 pm 

Hi Everybody! I am helping organize the judging for Origins this year and we are still needing some volunteers! You may be wondering "what do i get out of judging?" Well, I will tell you...MY ETERNAL LOVE AND DEVOTION! Okay, that might not be enough, how about this?

Volunteer rewards are:
4 slots: Free badge
8 slots: Free badge and one of: 1/4 hotel room, 2nd Free Badge, Vouchers (typically $60)

To sign up, send me an email at mightyflinn@gmail.com and please cc: James at james.zwiers+origins2017@gmail.com and Pedro. (If you forget the cc:, I can forward it for you).
In the email, please indicate the following:
- Name
- Reward Selection
- Number of Events you are volunteering for and which system (ARG, 5E, or either)

Event Volunteering
All events, aside from the special (BI) are one-round events; the special (BI) is a two-round event, you must volunteer for both rounds or none. As in previous years, BI judges are especially requested.

After I receive your email, we can work together to come up with an amiable schedule.

-general creator of mayhem and discord
-Exceptional quality PCI Minion and indentured servant
-Lord of the Hummingbirds

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Origins 2017 Volunteering Part Deux!!!
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 8:35 pm 

One additional appeal, on behalf of those who *always* judge, and who will once again be judging every possible slot to ensure that people get to play:

Please volunteer.
Even a single slot.
Even if you've never judged before.

Because the truth is this: Every year in Arcanis, less than a dozen total GMs are consistently responsible for the positive experience of up to dozens, often 100+ players.
Every year in Arcanis, those GMs are the SAME GMs, convention after convention.
Every year in Arcanis, those GMs receive little or no official appreciation, often travelling long distances and paying large amounts of money *just* to ensure that the players have a good time, and never getting to play themselves.

Ultimately, the truth is that we need more judges, just as we need more players. We need people who are willing to step up and be amazing just for the sake of others. If every single Arcanis player who shows up at ArcaniCon this year judged a single slot at Origins, we'd have every slot covered.

But, if this doesn't move you to offer up 4 hours of your life (maybe up to 6 if you're really passionate about prepping in advance), I have one other request: Treat your judges well. Be fantastic players, and do what you can to make their lives a little better, one game at a time.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Origins 2017 Volunteering Part Deux!!!
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 8:46 pm 

I cannot support and echo Tony's post enough. Please sign up to judge just one table, if you can. We need judges as much as we need players if Living and Legends of Arcanis are going to grow. We strive to take care of our new judges and make sure that if they need help, they get it. We won't throw you to the wolves.

On a personal level, I know that I won't be able to do as much judging this year as I have in past years, so I would greatly appreciate other folks stepping in.

Kailandos, Keeper of the Word and Soldier of Retribution

Offline Profile