Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Gen Con 2014 Thanks!
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:11 am 

Hello everyone,

Back from Gen Con and wanted to say thank you to those who made it such a great show.

First off, a big THANK YOU to Clint Blome and Josh and Lindsay Elliot for organizing the PCI events including the premiere of the first Cthulhu: Strange Aeons adventure, the Elder God Particle . Many tables of Arcanis and Witch Hunter were run and much fun was had by all, if the feedback I received was any indication.

Thanks to the players of the two Special Kickstarter tables who suffered through 6 and 7 hours of the 4 hour adventure I wrote. I hope all of you and fun and felt it was worth the investment.

Eric Gorman deserves a special thank you for his great work on the Arcanis premiere adventure, "To Die Alone" which received critical acclaim from players and Chroniclers alike.

Thank you to all the additional GMs who took time out of the convention to run tables, as well as our excellent Organized Play staff (Clint Blome, Joe Cirrillo, Matt Flinn, Tony Nijssen and Melinda Reid) for making this event happen!

Lastly, to my business partners (Eric, Jim, Nelson and Peter) for many things but especially for manning the booth and selling LOTS and LOTS of books while I ran more gaming tables than I had in a long time.

Hope to see you all there next year!

Henry Lopez
President
PCI

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Gen Con 2014 Thanks!
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:56 pm 

Gen Con was a fantastic time this year! Thank you Henry!

I'd Like to throw out a few more props to Patrick Biddix, Matt Jenkins, John Bellando and Tony Scalise for stepping up to judge Arcanis.

Hopefully next year we can get some additional 'new' arcanis adventures and maybe see even more of the regular arcaniacs :)

and I highly recommend playing "To Die Alone", it cuts straight to some of what makes Arcanis great (from my point of view), just make sure you give it some extra time to run so you get the full impact of the mod :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:54 am 

Excited that all you who attended had a terrific time :)

Cannot wait for the online game with Henry for those of us who could not make the special tables!

Congrats on what appears to be a successful Con!

Jeff

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:43 pm 

Echoing above - great GenCon this year. Only regret was I didn't get to play HP7 or To Die Alone, but I can do that another time. Most important is getting to reconnect with Arcanis friends and make new ones. I tell people all the time that I like the game, but love the community.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:02 pm 

I would just like to add one thing: in addition to shoutouts to all the folks who helped to put this together, wrote modules, and helped with judging, we had a tremendous turnout of new players for both Arcanis and Witch Hunter, as well as for the Strange Aeons preview events. I have never given out so many pre-gens in my life! It was fantastic.

So, I would like to thank two additional groups of people:

1) Every single new player who signed up or showed up to try the Arcanis system or one of our other games, and let us throw you in the deep end of our settings/systems/living campaigns. I was truly impressed by the way that the new folks I ran Arcanis sessions for jumped in headfirst! Whether it was constructing a complex backstory for your pre-generated character on the fly, trying out advanced spellcasting in your first combat, puzzling out the nuances of political intrigue that makes experienced players' heads spin, holding your own in festival games versus competitors half again your level, or literally charging off a balcony to get to the action faster -- you guys seriously made my convention.

Regardless of whether you continue to play, I hope you all had a great time adventuring with us in Indy! And if you need any help finding resources, creating characters, locating games in your area/online, or anything else, please post here on the forums -- Harvesters (regional Arcanis coordinators), campaign/Paradigm staff, and other players are all happy to help.

2) Everyone who brought an existing character to a table and graciously shared their knowledge of the system and world with new players. It can be a real challenge in a world as complex and nuanced as Arcanis or Witch Hunter to run a game for a mix of new and experienced players -- and I hope that my fellow judges and I were able to make it fun for you as well.

If you have suggestions on I (or GMs in general) can make tables with a mix of player experience levels run smoother in the future, please let me know, either by PM here or email to skipperdee at gmail dot com. I am not super active on the forums, but once I get a few suggestions (or pull a few from my con-fatigue-addled brain) I'll start a thread on the subject. :)

Arcanis, Witch Hunter, and Paradigm have brought together a fantastic community of players, GMs, and writers over the years -- a community that I care deeply about and am proud to call my "gaming family" -- and I'm enthusiastic about making these campaigns a welcoming place for new players (and those returning who may have played in the original Arcanis or Witch Hunter campaigns). It was a delight to see so many new faces (as well as lots of familiar ones), and I hope to see you again soon!

Best,
Lindsay

Elorii peacemaker, shaman, and knowledge seeker
Countess Roumyana val'Ishi of Almeric
Larissan priestess (not that kind); foe of infernals, heretics, and sartorial faux pas

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:17 pm 

Well said, Lindsay.

I couldn't agree more!

Welcome to the PCI gaming family, everyone!

Henry Lopez
President
PCI

Offline Profile