Last visit was: It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: ArcaniCon 2015
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:42 am 

Well I did a whole bunch of math from the last ArcaniCon and did some math based on geographic location of last years attendees and the geographic center was about 45 minutes west of Chicago (Roscoe Il)

I would really like a bigger room than we have had in the past few years, those rooms are really close and get way to warm way to quickly.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:07 pm 

Why am I not willing to drive to Minneapolis for Arcanicon 2015?

First, the drive time from Chicago to Columbus, with pretty minimal stops is about 7 hours. Chicago to Minneapolis is more like 8. Assuming traffic is equivalent, on a pleasant summer day. That extra hour may not seem like much, but I have to draw the line somewhere.

Second, weather. Chicago is cold. Minneapolis is even colder, and generally snowier. So I figure we're more likely to get stuck there because of a winter storm, or worse yet, stuck on the road, or forced to drive at a snail's pace because the snow is coming down so hard. Been there, done that, don't want to do that again. Yeah, I'm a wimp. Somehow, driving North in the winter makes no sense to me. So that factors in.

Third, unlike Origins, which a bunch of my friends attend, I expect I'll be driving to Arcanicon alone next year. An 8-hour drive by myself is a lot longer than a 7-hour drive with good company.

Right now, I can't think of any argument that'd twist my arm enough to get me to drive to Minneapolis. Maybe I'll be surprised :-)

In any case, I'm only one person. I really think that the organizers need to collect the poll data (after a reasonable period of time has passed) and base their decisions on that. How many of the player base will attend Arcanicon in different cities should be the driving factor. It doesn't matter how cheap it is to get somewhere, or how nice the hotel rooms are, or the traffic, or whatever. What matters is: what cities will draw the greatest attendance?

Anoush val'Mehan, Sarishan Binder (3.9)
Valadriel Maethirion, Kio Duelist (2.5)
Irena val'Virdan, Priestess of Nier (2)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:12 pm 

marybamford wrote:
I really think that the organizers need to collect the poll data (after a reasonable period of time has passed) and base their decisions on that.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1459\

John's not an organizer, per se, but he does seem to be the most organized of us.

Haakon Marcus val'Virdan, Divine Holy Judge of Nier
Ruma val'Vasik, Martial Crusader and Master of the Spear
Jorma Osterman, Arcane Coryani Battlemage

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:10 pm 

marybamford wrote:
Second, weather. Chicago is cold. Minneapolis is even colder, and generally snowier. So I figure we're more likely to get stuck there because of a winter storm, or worse yet, stuck on the road, or forced to drive at a snail's pace because the snow is coming down so hard. Been there, done that, don't want to do that again. Yeah, I'm a wimp. Somehow, driving North in the winter makes no sense to me. So that factors in.

I can't speak for the roads getting here but winter in Minneapolis has very few major weather issues. We rarely get ice storms or blizzards. The airport sometimes gets delays but very rarely gets closed down. It can certainly be cold (January is usually the worst) and last year was particularly bad (like lots of places).

I'd love to see ArcaniCon in Minneapolis but I'm not really expecting it as it. On the other hand, if it was here, I know at least a half dozen players that are not on these forums that would very likely show up (and there may be a lot more). There are or have been 4 groups playing Arcanis in the area that I'm aware of with almost no overlap between 3 of them.

Eryk Bauer - Martial Awakened 1.2

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:16 pm 

What is the latest news on where and when ArcaniCon 2015 will be held? I'm hoping to be able to attend for the first time.

D. Stephen Raymond

Lafarnagan Narderos called Lafe, bearer of Windblade (Makes the Wind Bleed)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:27 pm 

I think either Detroit (Romulus) or Chicago were the top choices. . .

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:16 pm 

Melinda has the results of the poll and is in the process of doing some hotel research.

John

Kelb'Bakari Masalio, Dark-kin Altherian Corsair, Gentleman Archaeologist, and Wandering Bard
"The highest compliment an Altherian can pay you is to shoot you with his flintlock. It means you were worth the expense."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:05 pm 

This is the first I'm seeing / hearing about a poll for the location. Was anything sent out via email, as suggested earlier in the thread? I know there are a *lot* of people that don't read the forums. I've been fairly absent for a while, so I missed the poll.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:30 pm 

I created the poll and posted it here. I don't have everyone's email nor the means to send out individual emails to everyone. You can still weigh in on the poll as it hasn't closed.

John

Kelb'Bakari Masalio, Dark-kin Altherian Corsair, Gentleman Archaeologist, and Wandering Bard
"The highest compliment an Altherian can pay you is to shoot you with his flintlock. It means you were worth the expense."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:17 pm 

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1459

Link to the poll thread

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next