Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
 Post subject: Re: ArcaniCon 2015
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:59 pm 

Thanks Tony! I extended my reservation to arrive Thursday night instead of Friday.

Eryk Bauer - Martial Awakened 1.2

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:29 am 

When does preregistration begin?

Will it be like last year with the registration of your character's info?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:15 pm 

Group Rate for Arcanicon 2015:

Attention!

Apparently some people are not getting the group rate to the hotel for Arcanicon. Melinda has asked me to post this link to the Holiday Inn Chicago O'Hare. It should get you to the reservations page that will apply the discounted rate. Good luck!

Scott
(that, "Melinda's husband guy")

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:47 pm 

An in-person meeting of the CSE is being organized for ArcaniCon 2015 on Friday evening during the dinner break. This is the unofficial secret society that I created and some friends and I ran in Living Arcanis, and we've been spreading word about the group more and recruiting new members lately. The meeting is open to anyone who is sincerely interested in the society and finding out more about it out-of-character to decide whether you want to have a PC join and work with us. Please be adult and don't come to spy on us but remember that it's mostly out-of-character information unless you do join up like with any secret society.

Society Description: The Confraternity of Solidarity across Empires (also known as the Confraternity of Solidarity or the CSE) is an organization that puts the greater good of the peoples of Arcanis above squabbles over politics & religion, and they believe that grand issues call for solidarity. The confraternity encourages looking ahead to see potential larger results of short-term events. They value collecting knowledge and taking proper actions but discourage neutrality in the face of suffering by innocents. They will make personal sacrifices for the sake of long-term benefits to a broader group.

The Confraternity cites historical examples of the need for unity. In the Gods’ War, the Gods of Men put aside their squabbles and only together could defeat the strongest and worst foe that Men and Gods have ever faced. The First Emperor of Coryan united city-states to drive out the Infernal Horde and forge a shining new nation. At the Battle of Four Armies, three nations fought together against the Swords of Nier. At the end of the Coryani Civil War, rivals Emperor Calsestus and General Menesis put aside differences and sacrificed their lives for the sake of all people. Volunteers of multiple nationalities, races, and religions joined the Fifth and Sixth Crusades of Light. Prophecies from several disparate sources mention the need to work together as the End Times approach.

This secret society was founded by players of the shared Arcanis campaign. As such, members do not receive Fame, Experience Points, or other in-game rewards. The main reward is the satisfaction of working towards a good and righteous cause. Unlike official secret societies, members are allowed to belong to another secret society. Members rarely receive explicit orders but are expected to think on their feet. Members who take special actions in a game (e.g., delivering an item or sharing news with this society) should tell their GMs (especially for critical events summaries) and mark their campaign certificates. This organization had a positive impact on Living Arcanis and can continue to affect the Legends of Arcanis campaign.

Goals: Encourage union of peoples of all backgrounds when needed to help everyone on Arcanis in the greater good. “Actions have consequences that go beyond today.”

(I have more information written up in a nice PDF file, but attachments don't seem to work on this forum.)

Amadi val'Abebi - Monk of Althares
Talathos - choleric Kelekene dabbler

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:06 pm 

Just got back from the con. Had a blast. Big thank you to Tony and staff! More to follow after I get some sleep and review my notes.

Haakon val'Ishi, Beltinian Exorcist 2.7 [Divine]
Ursula val'Holryn, Grand Master of the Tralian Hammer 2.2 [Martial]
Arun of Tultipet, Holy Champion of Neroth 1.10 [Expert]
Rikitsa val'Holryn, Psion 1.9 [Arcane]

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:13 pm 

Thank you all for a wonderful if cold and exceedingly wet time.

There once was a gnome called Oozy,
Who kissed a Yaricite floozy.
But rather than wed,
She drowned him instead,
Now he is a Yaricite toosey!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:45 pm 

I had a great time at ArcaniCon and found it well worth the time and money to attend. This wonderful event was made possible only by the many people who volunteered their time to make it possible. I'm sorry I don't know all the names of those responsible, yet we still owe you all gratitude. :-)

Special thanks go to Tony & campaign staff for putting the event together. There were the logistics as well as the gaming. Picking a city and finding a hotel took effort, and getting the GMs [Chroniclers] and modules, etc. ready for the con took organization. I appreciate your putting it together.

Creating the adventures took time, and it was a really nice mix of having two soft-point modules and an all-day event with some interwoven plot points yet each of which could stand alone, so together they made an even stronger festival weekend. The mod authors and editors as well as the main event writers made some good stories. Our ability to choose our mini-missions at the main event was really nice, though I realize it meant more work for the writers and GMs. The festival games were also extra touches for flavor and fun. In speaking with others, I'm not the only one who feels like our choices mattered and our decisions affected Savona.

All the GMs put in a lot of effort over the weekend. The soft points took the standard amount of good effort to run, and I realize an Arcanis mod is usually more complicated (in a good way) to run than most RPG adventures. The main event was probably lots of work on the GMs since we didn't know till the last minute what each table would do. The NPCs (many of whom were GMs) were fun to interact with, and the role-playing, costuming, and plot points through the NPCs made the event much more than a series of missions.

In proving the importance of story, GMs kindly let my PC's Myrantian slave do a lot of role-playing interaction, and his backstory mattered more than it ever has before. Except for combat, parts felt like the slave was more important than his patrician master (and in retrospect, I think he was). I observed hints at other politics, intrigue, and (I think) secret factions beyond what I personally experienced, and I think everyone found enough to keep busy during the main event.

Getting to see so many old Arcanis friends and making new friends was the extra special punch. If I were just playing with a bunch of random people, I'd not have enjoyed it as much. Getting to talk and play with old friends was wonderful, and the multiple stages of main event let us all play with more people during the day. The way that Arcanis players care about role-playing and not just min-maxing character design, care about story and not just "winning", and like to make smart plans instead of just hitting foes with a weapon makes it a joy to play with you. It was also really nice to talk in person with some people whose names I recognized from the forum here. The stories and themes of Arcanis have the depth and intellectualism that draw the sort of players with whom I enjoy playing, and it's the people and stories that keep me coming back to Arcanis.

Even though no one from Team Paradigm was able to make it this year, I also realize that without their having created such a wonderful background of this intricate world and game system, we wouldn't have been able to play these games.

Thank you all, my friends.

Amadi val'Abebi - Monk of Althares
Talathos - choleric Kelekene dabbler

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:34 pm 

I agree that it was a good time and also would like to thank Tony and the other staff and GMs.

Eryk Bauer - Martial Awakened 1.2

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:31 am 

Home and recovered from the2 slots I played and the 5 slots I ran, I also want to add a belated thanks to the Arcanison staff.

Tony and Matt again pushed the boundaries of what is possible in a shared world adventure with the special event. Six "encounters" were interspersed with short LARP sessions where people could share what they learned. and choose which of several tracks to follow: Myrantian unrest, a Yaricite Cult trying to submerge the city, inheritance among three sons from Savona's richest deceased merchant, Harvesters, and an investigation into the Harlequin. People mostly had the ability to jump tracks as their interests changed.

We also had two strong soft points from Cody and Joe. Everyone there enjoyed them and I'm sure people at home will too once they are released. They both were set in Savona which helped establish the feel of Arcaniscon.

Special thanks to Ken who ran my soft point tables and all the players I judged for who made me think on my feet.

Look forward to seeing everyone at Origins or next year!

AKA Ambassador Tukufu, man of letters, tomb raider and Master Sword Sage
. . . and Sir Szymon val'Holryn, Order of the Phoenix
Formerly Sir Jaeger val'Holryn. Weilder of the Holy Avenger: Thonanos. Gave his soul to help free King Noen

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8