Last visit was: It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: ArcaniCon 2015
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:26 am 

Toronto has some really great venues, and I'm sure Tony would be happy to have Arcanicon in his backyard ;) (in a manner of speaking. i doubt his backyard is actually an option)

aka Rurik - Nol Dappan War Priest (Divine 2.3)
aka Karthik - Tultipetan Stonemason (Expert 1.4)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:43 am 

I laughed at first about "going to Detroit in Winter" but I liked the venue last year, and would do that again despite the cold and the snow.

Okay. For one paragraph it's all about me: I'll be flying in from Oregon so one of the pluses (or minuses) for me is how expensive flights are and how nice (or gross) the airport is. *AND* how many connections I have to juggle. Cities served with direct flights from Jet Blue and Southwest Air are usually better for me. Sometimes vastly better. Minneapolis has a great airport and the flights are not too bad pricewise for me. O'Hara slowly kills my soul every time I am stuck there between flights. For me this is a strike against Chicago and the places where I'd have to pass through it, like Ft Wayne. In theory I have no problem flying to Canada since my Passport is up to date and for me its not significantly different from flying to a city in the Midwest.Though I wish you'd all think about a warmer location...like Cabo. Or Las Vegas? I still have a fantasy of a Coryani LARP at Caesar's Palace.

Where ever you settle the Con I will probably show up.

AKA Ambassador Tukufu, man of letters, tomb raider and Master Sword Sage
. . . and Sir Szymon val'Holryn, Order of the Phoenix
Formerly Sir Jaeger val'Holryn. Weilder of the Holy Avenger: Thonanos. Gave his soul to help free King Noen

Last edited by val Holryn on Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:48 pm 

I'm not sure Lindsay and I would go back to Detroit for Arcanicon, I know we would certainly rather not.

Chicago and Desmoines are both nice locations for us, Moline or Cedar Rapids are close enough to us that we would be willing to do some of the legwork also, I'd be interested to know what flights to Moline (QCA) run for most people, I think we can do much better for convention space than the cramped rooms we have been in for the past couple of years, particularly if we get out of the overpriced city centers.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:49 pm 

votes:

#1 Minneapolis

#2 Chicago

and
~ Sestia Gracchi, of Grand Coryan

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:59 pm 

For reference, flights from Edmonton, Alberta to various 'reasonable' locations (typically the cheapest flight):

Las Vegas - CA$515.51
Detroit - CA$539.84
Memphis - CA$541.73
Chicago - CA$549.63
Minneapolis - CA$551.73
Des Moines - CA$556.42
Columbus - CA$621.34
Toronto - CA$664.30 (Really?! Usually this is much cheaper!)
Fort Wayne - CA$732.80

This all assumes I book today, and assuming it is the first weekend in March 2015.

Haakon Marcus val'Virdan, Divine Holy Judge of Nier
Ruma val'Vasik, Martial Crusader and Master of the Spear
Jorma Osterman, Arcane Coryani Battlemage

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:05 pm 

Southwest Prices from Columbus roundtrip for the last weekend in February:

Minneapolis: $337
Las Vegas: $450
Memphis: $327
Des Moines: $343
Toronto: $500-600 (Other airlines)

John

Kelb'Bakari Masalio, Dark-kin Altherian Corsair, Gentleman Archaeologist, and Wandering Bard
"The highest compliment an Altherian can pay you is to shoot you with his flintlock. It means you were worth the expense."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:57 pm 

What's wrong with Toronto? Why isn't that cheaper? Doesn't really matter.

Minneapolis looks relatively good in those lineups.

I want to see Josh and Lindsey at the con...but whatever I loose in costs at larger cities for the hotel room I get back from not changing planes. =\

AKA Ambassador Tukufu, man of letters, tomb raider and Master Sword Sage
. . . and Sir Szymon val'Holryn, Order of the Phoenix
Formerly Sir Jaeger val'Holryn. Weilder of the Holy Avenger: Thonanos. Gave his soul to help free King Noen

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:30 pm 

Something I would suggest considering regardless of where you put the con is # of people flying vs. driving. What's going to help get you to a good number of attendees?

Another thing that would likely be worth considering is sending a quick email with a few possible locations to the attendees from last year. As Tony had to send out all the certs, you've got at least the majority of their email addresses. Some people are likely to go no matter where it is. Others may not be able to go regardless or where it is, except perhaps if it's in their hometown.

Given that you're talking late February / early March, the further north you put the con, the more at risk the travel situation becomes especially for flights.

@Eric: Toronto has ~2.5MM people within its limits and ~6MM in the greater Toronto area. Traffic can be obnoxious and prices are certainly high. I expect the further you move from downtown the more reasonable the prices become. It's a nice city. We were just there a couple of days ago on vacation. Putting it in Toronto would also mean factoring in the impact of needing passports for attendees. If there's a large enough Canadian contingent that would show up to offset a possible loss of U.S. attendees, then it's pretty much a wash. Just something to think about though.

With a sweep of his hat,

Paul

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:59 pm 

Unfortunately, if you were to hold it in Canada, I doubt that Rick and I would be able to attend.

As for the other suggestions, Romulus was just fine (minus any horrible problems trying to get there that might cause me any bias). Try pitifully, besides the fact that would only be a 2 1/2 hour drive, Minneapolis would be a great place to have it. I've been to some fantastic conventions there. Reasonably priced, easy to get to via flight or car, lots to around to do, etc. Also, I'm sure that top put could easily tap into locals top help you if you were to have it there.

Elyse val'Tensen, Royal Marine of Milandir and Knight Protector of Tanin 3.1
and
Ryzxeien 1.6

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:09 pm 

Of the US cities that have been suggested, Minneapolis would probably give me the best chance of attending. It is an 8 hour drive (give or take), which is do-able.

aka Rurik - Nol Dappan War Priest (Divine 2.3)
aka Karthik - Tultipetan Stonemason (Expert 1.4)

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next