Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Origins 2015 Spoiler Thread
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:19 am 

Taking a cue from the Arcanis forums, this thread is to discuss the events of Origins 2015, including the LARP. Have at it!

Witch Hunter: The Invisible World Unofficial Home on Google+

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Origins 2015 Spoiler Thread
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:46 am 

I won't discuss the mods as those will be played still...

The LARP was a lot of fun. We only had I think 6 of us and we converted characters and played....

Character Conversion:
Overall, the conversion process was pretty straight forward. Some skills got combined for simplicity with the LARP rules. Most things converted to the LARP Character Sheet 1:1 or a sliding scale from 1-3 (instead of 1-5 for the Tabletop).
There is a reduced health track of 3 levels instead of 4. I feel the reduced health track needs adjusted as it's way too easy to be knocked out even with the 'defense points'.
I really like the 'stopwatch' instead of dice rolling as it's very portable.

Story:
I really enjoyed the story as it tied in nicely with the RPG (much like Arcanis LARPs often do). I'm not sure if what happened in the LARP will have ramifications for the Tabletop story, but it was a nice side quest.
There were equal opportunities for RP and 'combat' (Which doesn't happen much in most LARPs) and I felt the two tied nicely together. There was a 'high path' where the muckity mucks could go and socialize and a 'low path' where the ne'er do wells could go and fraternize with the commoners. Both lead to the same 'goal' but in different ways.
It was also really fun to play the game with another Werewolf :)

Rules:
I found the rules easy to use. It was very action oriented. The 'reach' rules were fair, and the movement was pretty standard. I don't think anyone stood around waiting between turns very long.
I like the 'defense' mechanism, but feel that some changes could be implemented so characters don't feel quite so frustrated and to encourage teamwork.

For instance, a person can get say 4-5 defenses points that negate an attack. Previously, you could use only 1 Defense Point each turn. That way you can gang up on someone and the first attack might be blocked but others would go through. This time, you could block every attack a turn.

I would love to see it go back to the previous rule but also add the 4th health track back.

John

Kelb'Bakari Masalio, Dark-kin Altherian Corsair, Gentleman Archaeologist, and Wandering Bard
"The highest compliment an Altherian can pay you is to shoot you with his flintlock. It means you were worth the expense."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:52 pm 

Harliquinn wrote:
I won't discuss the mods as those will be played still...

Well, if you were going to, this would be the place to do it. :)

Quote:
The LARP was a lot of fun. We only had I think 6 of us and we converted characters and played....

Very cool. I was hoping someone would chime in about the LARP, so thank you John. You have me intrigued about the storyline. That's one thing I miss about being able to attend the big cons: all the cool unique events you never find anywhere else. We used to have a great time preparing the Interactives for LG. And it sounds like the BI for Arcanis was a lot of fun. It would be really cool to attend something like that for WH. Alas, Columbus is a looooooong drive from Dallas.

Tom

Witch Hunter: The Invisible World Unofficial Home on Google+

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:02 pm 

I played the LARP last year and had a blast. In fact they asked me back for this year. Unfortunately I was scheduled to GM an Arcanis mod that evening and had to miss it. :( Maybe next year. As long as they use the people and mechanics from last year I'm in. Wish I had time to play WH but not right now, to many other irons in the fire. :( :(

Haakon val'Ishi, Beltinian Exorcist 2.7 [Divine]
Ursula val'Holryn, Grand Master of the Tralian Hammer 2.2 [Martial]
Arun of Tultipet, Holy Champion of Neroth 1.10 [Expert]
Rikitsa val'Holryn, Psion 1.9 [Arcane]

Offline Profile