Last visit was: It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: when will the main site be done with "construction"?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:39 pm 
Just researching Arcanis so far (though I did just purchase the Bestiary a moment ago)...see the main site is "under construction" which makes me somewhat cautious to purchase the core book, etc. Meaning, I hope this game is "alive" and the company not going to disappear two minutes after I get the books. I'm trying to find out if you have "buy the hardcover, get the pdf" deals or not...but obviously I guess I'll have to wait to find out.

Last edited by tgcb on Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: when will the main site be done with "construction"?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:28 pm 

Hello,

We still need to finish up a few things here and there, so I don't have a definite date for you.

I can say that I don't foresee us going anywhere in the near (or any) future.

We don't have any combo deals at the moment, though we are going to have a KickStarter for Arcanis starting soon where deals can be had. I don't have an exact date yet, as its in the hands of the people at KickStarter at the moment, awaiting approval.

But welcome to Arcanis and feel free to ask any other questions you may have.

Henry Lopez
President
PCI

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:34 pm 

Arcanis has been around for many years. Started with D&D 3rd edition...I'm not even sure what year that was...2004? The campaign did lose some players when it switched from 3.5 to the current system, but the fan base is building back up, and Arcanis has some of the most die-hard fans I've seen for any system.

I'd strongly recommend picking up the books and trying it out. This is a great game set in a really rich world. The game system still has a few kinks that are being worked out, but it allows for really complex, unique characters.

If you don't live near anyone who plays Arcanis, there are online games being run from time to time, either by webcam on Roll20 (and similar sites), or forum 'play-by-post' style on Mythweavers.

aka Rurik - Nol Dappan War Priest (Divine 2.3)
aka Karthik - Tultipetan Stonemason (Expert 1.4)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:02 am 

Arcanis was actually around earlier than 2004; it started way back when the company was founded in 2000, nominated for ENnie awards for Bloody Sands of Sicaris. Arcanis as a campaign setting just turned 13 this past summer. Just imagine what's planned for sweet 16 in a few years, eh? ;)

There is an enormously rich history built into this campaign, culture and politics and intrigue spanning generations. There's also plenty of hack and slash opportunities. If you're interested, contact me directly (lleudubhllyr@gmail.com) and I'll send you a copy of the Codex Arcanis worldbook. It's a little out of date, having been published years ago, but most of it still applies and gives a really good idea of how the world works (besides which, it's been free as a .pdf for years, so I feel no guilt about giving it out randomly now).

The reasons the website is currently under construction are numerous and varied, but we're not planning on disappearing any time soon.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:41 am 

For those of us who are unfamiliar with the process, how does getting approval for a Kickstarter work? I have heard a few (recently) that seemed to get approved within hours, so one that takes days (or weeks!) to get approved seems odd to me.

Haakon Marcus val'Virdan, Divine Holy Judge of Nier
Ruma val'Vasik, Martial Crusader and Master of the Spear
Jorma Osterman, Arcane Coryani Battlemage

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:04 am 
acurrier wrote:
The game system still has a few kinks that are being worked out

Well...that's not exactly encouraging me to purchase the game. :lol:

A system this "old" ....why does it still have "kinks"? When are they going to be ironed out? Sometime in 2032?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:06 am 
Njal Val'Assante wrote:
The reasons the website is currently under construction are numerous and varied, but we're not planning on disappearing any time soon.

Try naming one defunct gaming company that planned on disappearing.

:lol:

PS- I'm guessing Enron, etc didn't plan on disappearing either.

Anyway, thanks for the updates!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:15 am 

tgcb wrote:
acurrier wrote:
The game system still has a few kinks that are being worked out

Well...that's not exactly encouraging me to purchase the game. :lol:

A system this "old" ....why does it still have "kinks"? When are they going to be ironed out? Sometime in 2032?

All game systems have kinks, its how the game company and the players deal with them.

From my point of View PCI does a fantastic job of putting out new material that is balanced and Very interesting (and easily expandable) but its not possible to catch everything, I think what acurrier was referring to some of the things that are nebulous for the shared campaign, things that are easily discussed and decided in a home play group.

I only wish they had the manpower and time to put out more materials.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:17 am 

tgcb wrote:

Because the original game, and the world, was built around the 3.0 D&D model. Then it was converted to 3.5, and ran for 7 years between the two versions. Then Paradigm created their own rule set, so that the rules helped tell the story instead of having to fit the story into the rules.

The new rule set has only been around for a couple years. The core rules are solid, but like 3.0/3.5/4th or any other RPG system, we're always adding stuff and the rules evolve. Every time we create a new Talent or Path, our players (being pretty damn clever people) will often figure out combinations of things we never even considered, forcing us to adapt, or causing is to create new context. A great example of this is the new Fate Cap. Previously there was no limit to how much Fate a Hero could have. Now there is, for both a practical reason (game balance) and an in-character story reason that will allow us to do some nifty things. If you want to play a static game, a board game is your best bet. A truly great role playing system lives and breathes like an organic thing, both changing and being changed by the players who play it. The 'kinks' being ironed out are the stuff on the edges, not the core of the system.

tgcb wrote:

Try naming one gaming company that planned on disappearing.

:lol:

PS- I'm guessing Enron, etc didn't plan on disappearing either.

Touche. That said, the only way we continue to produce interesting stories and fun products for players is if players participate, let us know they're interested, and spread the word. Arcaniacs have a lot invested in the game, but we're often not so great about reaching out and dragging new people in, which is where new revenue comes from to allow PCI to actually do more stuff. We're looking to change that in the upcoming while. In simple economics: They will supply, so long as enough people continue to demand and contribute.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:00 pm 

Hello Cody,

Nierite wrote:
For those of us who are unfamiliar with the process, how does getting approval for a Kickstarter work? I have heard a few (recently) that seemed to get approved within hours, so one that takes days (or weeks!) to get approved seems odd to me.

You'll have to take that up with KickStarter.

It says on the response after submitting that it will take fom 2-5 Business Days. Our Witch Hunter took over a week. Rotted Capes took 3 days.

I supopse, like everything, it depends on amount of work and manpower to go through them.

Henry Lopez
President
PCI

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric Go to page 1, 2  Next