Last visit was: It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Visions of Lives Past
PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:04 pm 

Is the resell value on the loot how much you get or how much you get better selling it for one 10th?

I've seen some people with a high gold count because of this mod.

Also, is the scroll not suppose to have a sell value?

Last edited by Deviknyte on Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Visions of Lives Past
PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:06 pm 

You always resell items for 1/10 of their listed price. That said, magical items are VERY valuable, so you can still get quite a bit of coin if you are selling them.

Haakon Marcus val'Virdan, Divine Holy Judge of Nier
Ruma val'Vasik, Martial Crusader and Master of the Spear
Jorma Osterman, Arcane Coryani Battlemage

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:08 pm 

Nierite wrote:
You always resell items for 1/10 of their listed price. That said, magical items are VERY valuable, so you can still get quite a bit of coin if you are selling them.

I know that things sell for 1/10. I'm confused by the words resell value. Is that what I would get for selling it or it that it's whole worth?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:53 pm 

I'll clarify this when I make the relic pages for this module (which shouldn't be too long after ArcaniCon). However, for the moment, the resell value is the best offer you can get for that item in the First City. Magic items don't work quite the same way with the 1/10th thing, because a lot of magic items in Arcanis don't have a value in the same way that a regular sword or shield does. If you're really going to sell a magic item, you'll likely get gold, but not nearly as much as the item is truly worth as though such a thing could be measured.

Short answer: The resell value is what you get for the item.

However, if we notice that people are taking magic items just to sell them, instead of giving them to Heroes who would actually use and appreciate them... There will be consequences, both IC (other Heroes aren't likely to travel with you if they know you're just going to hawk the stuff they could use) and OOC (players aren't going to want to play with you, and we're going to stop putting cool things in again. Or give everything a catch. Or simply make magic items unsellable. Which is tempting as is...).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:04 am 
There are circumstances that come up in which a given item has no seriously interested people.
I think that happened, with one, maybe two things at the table of Visions I played.
It was a while, my memory's fuzzy. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:51 am 

My standard proposal is for tables to figure out the gold value for selling items, split that up and then "buy" the items they want from the treasure. if people cant afford the gear they really want some accommodation can be made, but that's table negotiations.

we may have actually sold one item from the visions table we played, i cant recall

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:42 am 

Of course with so little magic items to actually buy there is also not the magical arms race thast there was in DnD which means having lots of cash isn't such an issue.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:23 am 
mininin wrote:
Of course with so little magic items to actually buy there is also not the magical arms race thast there was in DnD which means having lots of cash isn't such an issue.

Plus the effects are far less direct -there's no "kick more ass boots" or anything.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:37 am 

Njal Val'Assante wrote:
...snip... However, if we notice that people are taking magic items just to sell them, instead of giving them to Heroes who would actually use and appreciate them... There will be consequences, both IC (other Heroes aren't likely to travel with you if they know you're just going to hawk the stuff they could use) and OOC (players aren't going to want to play with you, and we're going to stop putting cool things in again. Or give everything a catch. Or simply make magic items unsellable. Which is tempting as is...).

Played this at Arcaniscon. Was a great mod. We chose to destroy the key rather than let people into the Tower of Gettalus. Xercel was not best pleased ...

On the issue of treasure and selling ...

I'm pretty sure we've all had a negative experience at a table or two where there was a player(s) who argued till blue in the face for something ... and then cashed out. Even though someone else could have used it. Yeah I don't want to see a lot of that.

At the same time, there are a lot of adventures and few items. And the items that do show up tend to be quirky. Neither of my PCs were excited in a different mod about having a skeleton come out the back of their cloak despite the cool in game benefits. Could have felt differently if one of them was a val'Mordane, but weird death stuff is not really up the alley of my Altherian or my Nierite. Does that mean they had to "pass" in that instance? I'd say no. If there is no "creepy death guy" in the party selling such item an seems like a good option to me.

As a final note I am surprised about the costs that were chosen for the items at the end of the mod. Especially the staff (really?) I personally would not spend 20 gold to buy such an item if it were made available at "ye old magic shoppe." Such high prices for a (charged) item invite someone selling it to go and buy 4 runes ...

AKA Ambassador Tukufu, man of letters, tomb raider and Master Sword Sage
. . . and Sir Szymon val'Holryn, Order of the Phoenix
Formerly Sir Jaeger val'Holryn. Weilder of the Holy Avenger: Thonanos. Gave his soul to help free King Noen

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:40 am 

mininin wrote:

Unless of course you're trying to buy an Exceptional Fervidite Weapon :)

Kelb'Bakari Masalio, Dark-kin Altherian Corsair, Gentleman Archaeologist, and Wandering Bard
"The highest compliment an Altherian can pay you is to shoot you with his flintlock. It means you were worth the expense."

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric Go to page 1, 2  Next