Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: To Kiss the Beautiful Devil
PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:01 am 

Just ran To Kiss the Beautiful Devil. There is a lot about the module that I really like. But there are aso some parts of the module that are really open ended ... and players may not do what is expected. I would love to share notes with judges who have run it and have "interesting choices" happen at their tables. Some things I have encountered:

1) Party can't decde what to do with the journel. The table I played at during Origins (2011?) was badly splitt by what to do with the journel and the klepto gnome (on a whim) gave it to House Zhuan while other members of the party warned the Knight Protector of House Haupt. Our judge crossed off everything. House Zhuan didn't give us thier favor because we worked against them by trying to fortify House val"Haupt (not fully knowing the Knight Commander's involvement). The Knight commander didn't give us his favor because the book went off to House Zhuan. To be clear, I am not unhappy with this outcome, but want to compare notes on what to do when the party's action don't "fit into a box."

2) There is a noble born/knight errant in the Party who really wants to duel with the Knight Protector for getting hip deep in unseemly/disgracefull Opium production that is making its way back into Milandir. I had this happen at the table I judged. I let it happen, and had the KP choose to allow his own death rather than face public disgrace/humilation or the sanction of the Silver Chalice.

3) What is the highest "level" PCs can be and still play this module. Many people haven't played this yet with their primaries who are teir 1.8 or higher. Is it okay to take higher level PCs and just add 2 to the adversaries defenses and to hit bonuses?

Eric Gorman

AKA Ambassador Tukufu, man of letters, tomb raider and Master Sword Sage
. . . and Sir Szymon val'Holryn, Order of the Phoenix
Formerly Sir Jaeger val'Holryn. Weilder of the Holy Avenger: Thonanos. Gave his soul to help free King Noen

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: To Kiss the Beautiful Devil
PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:19 am 

To the first point, players are frequently going to 'wreck' the module. We can't anticipate every player, nor every character each player might create, and there are many players out there who genuinely enjoy doing ridiculous, seemingly irrational things (whether because they enjoy it as a player or because they feel they've created a character who would do such things). When we write/edit modules, we try and get the most likely outcomes on the page and trust the GMs to use their best discretion. That said, in regards to the original running at Origins that year, there simply weren't very clear instructions to the GM how to handle much of anything in the module. Your GM handled it as best they could given the circumstances.

Generally with this module, I say that whoever gets the journal gives the favour. That's my rule of thumb, but I'll twist it as the players dictate. A table where they keep the journal to themselves, kill the spy, and make an effort to escape from the guardsmen at the end of the module will get them a warrant for their arrest from the KP (who will discover their identities through the townsfolk), and no favour from anyone, for example. As GMs we can add stuff to the CPs, especially flavour stuff (though try not to abuse that privilege).

Second point: It's a fair ruling. I would say that if the KP was corrupt enough to get involved in the first place, he would hide behind his position for protection, not agree to the duel, and rely on his connections to mitigate any possible public disgrace. Especially regarding the Silver Chalice, they're still a very small organization and don't have the weight, prestige, or fear that some of the more established organizations command.

Third point: Frankly, you can level anything to be a challenge. It's *intended* for Tier 1.1-1.5, but we really do need to work out some quick and easy rules for leveling bad guys on the fly for GMs who aren't so skilled at it...

Offline Profile