Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: About the val'Holryn Family
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:54 pm 

Been a while since the last post, but I'll bite: what generates Bloodline Powers?

Well, I have a theory: In the brains of Val, there is a pituitary gland, which allows a Val to generate Psionics. Bloodline powers are very similar to Psionic abilities, like the Bloodline Traditions, so I would guess that the gland is related to Bloodline Powers. Now, Elorii possess Bloodline Powers but no Psionics (additionally, some Elorii possess Psionic Resistance, the opposite of what we are looking for), and the other races, such as the Brood of Ven, possess Psionics but no Bloodline Powers. Why it would only work for some but not others seems to discredit the glands power. (I'm going to stop calling it just "the gland" and will start using the name Neurological Shiv, since it is the same.)

Now, there might be another organ within the body that directly relates to Bloodline Powers, and I haven't had the chance to carry out an autopsy of a Val or Ul just yet. Segueing back to the Elorii, the source of their Bloodline Powers is ostensibly their Elemental Nature: Elorii are, in layman's terms, Elemental Spirits bound to bodies of flesh and bone. They act like souls for the Elorii, allow them to reincarnate via Orumar, and apparently allow them to use innate magical abilities. This brings us to the question if the soul is the source for Bloodline Powers. In the Elorii's case, yes, their Elemental Nature acts as a conduit to power. In everyone else's case, no. See, Val don't have "special" souls that grant them Psionics and Bloodline Talents. In their case, it is their physiology that grants them their power.

In The Black Book of Ymandragore, the page in question now in possession of the val'Sosi family, it details a ritual on how to vivisect a Valinor and obtain their power, which Lucius Orata was attempting to do in 1023 I.C in an attempt to overthrow the Sorcerer King. Perhaps there is a similar organ that does the same in Val.

This leads us to two conclusions:
1) The Neurological Shiv possessed by Val is different from the other races.
2) There is a separate organ that allows Val to manipulate Bloodline Powers.

Now, it could also be a case of the Val being granted powers similarly to how a Warlock would be. The Val is born into their family, and their patron grants them their power directly. This can also be disproven with the existence of the val'Cessari (why must they throw a monkey wrench into everything?).

So, those are my thoughts. I will be sure to update you all when something comes up.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sigismund Jupiter val'Holryn von Tralia

Last edited by vandom43 on Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:28 pm 

vandom43 wrote:
In The Black Book of Ymandragore, the page in question now in possession of the val'Sosi family, it details how the Sorcerer King vivisected a Valinor (possibly a Valinor of Sarish) and transplanted an organ into himself, granting him unimaginable power. Perhaps there is a similar organ that does the same in Val.

Nope - that's not what happened.

Henry Lopez
President
PCI

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:47 pm 

PCIHenry wrote:
vandom43 wrote:
In The Black Book of Ymandragore, the page in question now in possession of the val'Sosi family, it details how the Sorcerer King vivisected a Valinor (possibly a Valinor of Sarish) and transplanted an organ into himself, granting him unimaginable power. Perhaps there is a similar organ that does the same in Val.

Nope - that's not what happened.

Oh dear, I must really double check my sources, I'll make the appropriate edits.

Thank you for the clarification Henry - I consider it my job to present factual information, and appreciate any corrections to my writing.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:29 am 

I meant to circle back to bloodlines earlier.

The idea of bloodlines drifting over time has more examples than just the val Tensen. The val Abebi presumably had a different bloodline power than the one that currently lets them create Blastpowder. Since Blastpowder has only been “a thing” since they asked Altheres for their Second Git. What was it before? Presumably you could find out if you looked deeply into the val’Abebi mentagi .... perhaps the val’Holryn’s too. After thinking about it I now believe it’s possible for bloodline powers to drift over time if the appropriate source “Takes Actions” that tinker with it.

Sources. I’ve seen three things over all the years playing Arcanis that have bloodlines: vals, Elorii, and some certed darkkin who are the spawn of major “Infernal Lords.” That leads me to believe that you need a really powerful extraplanar creature in the roots of your family tree. (Celestial, Elemental or Infernal). The magical powers on tap come from not being 100% mortal (well, the elorii aren’t 100% mortal just being elorii, but you know what I mean...). For all we know other really powerful entities could also have the potential to create magical bloodlines. Jeggal Sag and the other “spirit” powers of shamans seem like they would likely make the cut...JS could take on multiple Valinor so obviously it’s not an issue of power. But to date we haven’t seen any example of this...except possibly for *that one weird encounter* with a Larissian Oracle in the over the counter module In the Shadow of the Devil. There a Human seemed to have an encounter with a spirit or divine entity and became a val in the middle of soirée...

It might also be interesting to note that in the 3E days of Arcanis that all sorcerers needed to have a “spark” that came from a divine, elemental or infernal source. If this is still so, then it seems like there is a distant “connection” between bloodline powers and the ability to wield arcane magic. It would suggest that in the roots of any sorcerers family there was a powerful extraplanar being and that some of the sorcerer’s ancestors may have had bloodlines...if indeed the sorcerers doesn’t have bloodline abilities too in addition to their arcane magic.

AKA Ambassador Tukufu, man of letters, tomb raider and Master Sword Sage
. . . and Sir Szymon val'Holryn, Order of the Phoenix
Formerly Sir Jaeger val'Holryn. Weilder of the Holy Avenger: Thonanos. Gave his soul to help free King Noen

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:03 am 

vandom43 wrote:
Thank you for the clarification Henry - I consider it my job to present factual information, and appreciate any corrections to my writing.

No problem.

You were right up to this point:

vandom43 wrote:
...granting him unimaginable power.

It didn't. In fact, it had no effect on the Sorcerer-King whatsoever and was discarded.

Which makes one wonder.

If it had no effect on the SK, then why did Lucius Orata go to such trouble to have the same thing done to him?

Henry Lopez
President
PCI

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:51 am 

Thank you for the contribution val'Holryn. I wonder why people don't hate the val'Holryn family for breaking their monopolies on rare goods, like Ansharan Portals and Blast Powder. The val'Holryn do have access to Ss'ressen eggs, and while obviously a smaller supply, they could start selling their own. And with the Ansharan Portals, the val'Inares have fallen out of favor with others for moving into Abessios, so they would be more than happy to find an alternative.

PCIHenry wrote:
vandom43 wrote:
...granting him unimaginable power.

It didn't. In fact, it had no effect on the Sorcerer-King whatsoever and was discarded.

Which makes one wonder.

If it had no effect on the SK, then why did Lucius Orata go to such trouble to have the same thing done to him?

Oh wow, that was shocking. Well, the Heroes walked away from the ordeal with a new Bloodline, so I won't blame the S.K for not trying. Maybe the Valinor must willingly grant their blessing, or maybe the S.K was already so inhumanly powerful that the bonus power had no effect. We do have evidence (not conclusive, considering it's from Loshnek), stating that he and the Master missed him dearly. He might actually be a Fallen Valinor, and couldn't "double up" on divine power. All conjecture for now.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6