Last visit was: It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: SP10 Dark Face of War
PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:47 am 

So, my heroes have defeated Flavius Neidorff. Now they want to squeeze some information from him, currently he is up in the air - threatened with violence, but their intimidation rolls are lousy. I play him, that he is convinced they won't do him harm, as they would get repercussions. Now, will they? If they try to torture him, or really toss him, would a) this be known to the crusade and b) have any repercussions and if yes, what kind of. It is military, and basicaly he just pillaged a few commoners. The heroes are below his rankings, so if they go overboard, and he gets thrown around, can I put them into the blocks when they come back? And Adolf val'Holryn isn't really a nice guy as well.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: SP10 Dark Face of War
PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:57 am 

Yes. Flavius Neidorff is the scion of a reasonably powerful family in Milandir, and any. . . overt actions against him may have consequences in the future.

Remember, this is not the idealized modern days, where a person who commits a crime is universally prosecuted to the extent of the law. He is a noble (granted, not one who presently holds a peerage) and because of that has VERY strong family connections in the court of Milandir. If he is killed, the Milandesians WILL hear about it because at this point the Erdukeen (who will collect him) are allied with the Crusade.

If the Heroes torture him or do anything beyond intimidation to get information out of him (ie: kill him), please send me a Private message. ;)

Haakon Marcus val'Virdan, Divine Holy Judge of Nier
Ruma val'Vasik, Martial Crusader and Master of the Spear
Jorma Osterman, Arcane Coryani Battlemage

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:56 pm 

There are a lot of factors that influence how this plays out. And I am not advocating PCs torture any NPC. BUT he instigated & attacked the party, and now is pretty much at the PCs mercy. If his patrol rides in and "gets wiped out to a man" ... its a hard life as a crusader. Who are the witnesses? If only one of his men makes it back ... well they aren't exactly heroes of high standing either and Aldoph's troops are known as a dumping ground for the unfit. I don't think its more likely that a noble family wants this story out than shushed up. OR if the only people who know about what happens are the PCs, the Erdukeen and their clients I don't think word is getting back to Milandir at all.

Personally, I would not go out of your way to make trouble for the party. And getting the information of where the base is located is "a pinch point" in the module. Until they find out where to go, the module is locked onto this one scene. Find a way to move the module along unless the players/characters are real butt heads.

OTOH if the PCs are being real butt heads .... actions have consequences

At the table I played at for the first time there was a brief discussion of what to do with him and I think we offered him either a swift execution or to leave him to the "mercies" of the locals. One of his band agreed to lead us to the camp in exchange for his life. Of what stories he's told and who listened to them I have idea.

AKA Ambassador Tukufu, man of letters, tomb raider and Master Sword Sage
. . . and Sir Szymon val'Holryn, Order of the Phoenix
Formerly Sir Jaeger val'Holryn. Weilder of the Holy Avenger: Thonanos. Gave his soul to help free King Noen

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:29 pm 

val Holryn wrote:
if the only people who know about what happens are the PCs, the Erdukeen and their clients I don't think word is getting back to Milandir at all.

As the author of this adventure, I can assure you that Milandir WILL know about what happens, as the conclusion had the Erdukeen 'releasing' several of the prisoners as a 'sign of good will.' ;) Governments have many avenues of expressing their irritation between each other, and one way or another the Neidorff's (at least) will hear about what happened to their family member, either from the Erdukeen, or from the Crown. No matter what tack the Heroes take, please let me know if they do anything. . . worthy of note by the family, such as execution, torture, etc. This may just come up again in a future adventure.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:36 pm 

I'll have to go back and look at the module. My interpretation has always been that the villagers "string them up" right then and there.

AKA Ambassador Tukufu, man of letters, tomb raider and Master Sword Sage
. . . and Sir Szymon val'Holryn, Order of the Phoenix
Formerly Sir Jaeger val'Holryn. Weilder of the Holy Avenger: Thonanos. Gave his soul to help free King Noen

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:41 pm 

The relevant information is found in Conclusion B:

Quote:
Several weeks later, you hear a rumour that
in gratitude for the massive reparations paid on
the order of King Osric of Milandir, many
individuals being held by Erduk were released
from captivity. Some of these men and women
were returned to the front some time later, albeit
in less... exposed positions, while others now form
the backbone of penal work-forces.

The Erdukeen and the people of Sindom wanted their justice, but that does not mean that they were strung up or hanged immediately. They may be Nierites, but that doesn't mean they are not capable of playing politics.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:11 am 

Still ongoing, I will pm you the what finally happened to the soldiers and the commander.

Offline Profile