Last visit was: It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Searing Purity
PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 1:52 am 

Spoilers for LA-HP1-2 "Temptations of the Flesh" (also in Year of Ill Harvest) follow. Yes, it's an ancient adventure, but some players might not it spoiled.

I just today realized a big historical connection:
  • Attalus val'Virdan, the Nierite attaché in the Dark Triumvirate's delegation, is an officer in the Cohort of Searing Purity.
  • In the First Crusade of Light, the Legion of Searing Purity fought alongside the First Emperor against the Infernal armies. Afterward, they zealously adhered to church dogma, and they passionately ferreted out dangers to the Mother Church. They served as the Patriarch’s personal honor guard and thereby as the strong arm of the Mother Church.
  • In 374 IC, General Erdul val’Virdan of the Legion of Searing Purity killed Patriarch Hulantin val’Assanté and was accused of plotting to murder Emperor Marellius val’Assanté. The General was executed, the Legion was disbanded, and Nierites were exiled to Canceri. (The full story of what happened is more complicated, as is standard for Arcanis.)

I presume that the cohort was founded by former members of the disbanded legion. It outwardly seems presumptuous of the Cancerese to send someone from that particular cohort to talks about reunification given its sordid history. Maybe they forgot their history. Maybe they focused on the past of protecting the Patriarch and the Church. Maybe they realized Attalus was the best Nierite for the job, and they hoped the Coryani would have forgotten. Or maybe someone did want to thumb their nose at the Coryani.

There's another military historical connection in the same adventure:
  • It was a centurion from the Legion of Radiant Glory who killed Becherek, who is considered the founder of the Dark Triumviate.
  • Prelate Acastus val'Assanté, one of the Mother Church delegates to the reunification talks, served in his youth in the Legion of Radiant Glory.

The fact that re-reading things many years later reveals even more depth in the details in one reason I love the rich world of Arcanis.

Amadi val'Abebi - Monk of Althares
Talathos - choleric Kelekene dabbler

Last edited by Dante on Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Searing Purity
PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:04 am 

It may not be as much of a slap in the face as it first seems.

If you look at the statblocks for the member of the Cohort of Searing Purity, he is in fact a Lawful Good Paladin. Considering the 'average' Nierite in Canceri is Lawful Neutral or even Lawful Evil, he represents something of an aberation for his culture. Perhaps he and his Cohort were sent as they represent the most noble of all Cancerese Nierites. Sure, they hold to the traditions of a lost Coryani (and First Imperium?) Legion, but after 700 years I doubt few would hold that against them. In fact, the fact that the Cancerese separated from the Empire (ungrateful heretics they are!) would be a far more recent and egregious insult to the Coryani than this I would think.

Haakon Marcus val'Virdan, Divine Holy Judge of Nier
Ruma val'Vasik, Martial Crusader and Master of the Spear
Jorma Osterman, Arcane Coryani Battlemage

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Searing Purity
PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:47 pm 

I guess it could have been thinly veiled threat.

I personally would read that as nothing more than that the Cohort of Searing Purity has remained an elite organization through out the ages. I'm sure the DT picked their best to go to Felician's meetings. We happen to know a fair bit of the history of the Searing Purity ... but all organizations that have been around for 1,000 years or more pick up a lot of honors and baggage.

Not many organizations in the real world last anywhere near that long. The Roman Catholic Church is one. If you had a high level meeting with Cardinals today, would the infamous sacking of Constantinople during the Crusades be on your mind?

AKA Ambassador Tukufu, man of letters, tomb raider and Master Sword Sage
. . . and Sir Szymon val'Holryn, Order of the Phoenix
Formerly Sir Jaeger val'Holryn. Weilder of the Holy Avenger: Thonanos. Gave his soul to help free King Noen

Offline Profile