Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: HP 1-10 Desecration
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:08 pm 

This is not D&D. All Weapon Training does is open up Weapon Tricks. Attacks are skill based, not talent based.

Haakon Marcus val'Virdan, Divine Holy Judge of Nier
Ruma val'Vasik, Martial Crusader and Master of the Spear
Jorma Osterman, Arcane Coryani Battlemage

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:23 pm 

Okay I see your point. At work, no books or I would have looked this up. So I could have levels in say Ranged: Marksmanship and fire both Crossbows and Flintlocks with no problem? The only reason to take Weapon Training is to get access to Weapon Tricks? What about Weapon Mastery? I think you need training in the weapon to qualify.

Haakon val'Ishi, Beltinian Exorcist 2.7 [Divine]
Ursula val'Holryn, Grand Master of the Tralian Hammer 2.2 [Martial]
Arun of Tultipet, Holy Champion of Neroth 1.10 [Expert]
Rikitsa val'Holryn, Psion 1.9 [Arcane]

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:00 pm 

Haakon_val'Ishi wrote:
Okay I see your point. At work, no books or I would have looked this up. So I could have levels in say Ranged: Marksmanship and fire both Crossbows and Flintlocks with no problem? The only reason to take Weapon Training is to get access to Weapon Tricks? What about Weapon Mastery? I think you need training in the weapon to qualify.
\

Yes, if you have +4 to Ranged: Marksmanship and nothing else, you'd fire your flintlock just as well as someone with Weapon Training (Ta) and +4 to Ranged: Marksmanship. And yes, to get Weapon Mastery, you do need Weapon Training as a prerequisite. That said, if you don't care about that +1 to attack (and all the other stuff at higher tiers), that is in no way necessary to USE the weapon. For example, my own character Haakon val'Virdan carries a Gladius and a dagger with him in his personal belongings. He doesn't have training or mastery in them, but he does keep them around as they are sometimes useful, and he hits only slightly less accurately with them compared to his Flamberge because of the Weapon Mastery.

Haakon Marcus val'Virdan, Divine Holy Judge of Nier
Ruma val'Vasik, Martial Crusader and Master of the Spear
Jorma Osterman, Arcane Coryani Battlemage

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:10 pm 

The reason I ask about the flintlock is well...you see I have this pistol they gave me at my coming of age ceremony and I've yet to fire the thing. Right now it's basically a paperweight. Now I could beat you over the head with it (as I have a lot of ranks in Melee: Unbalanced) but it might be fun to shoot someone in the face who's annoying me and THEN beat them over the head with it, THEN punch them...hilarity ensues...(Ursula can be like that sometimes--she does love a good bar brawl--not enough of those in Arcanis-- :( )

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 7:03 pm 

Markmanship is a useful skill to pickup, as there are several spells that can use it, as well as hitting those heavy crossbow attacks in heavy battles.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 6:24 am 

I took Melee: Unarmed and Pugilist in the hopes of a bar fight, sadly these seem to be rare in Arcanis. Too bad given Henry loves Conan. I suspect our Cimmerian had as may bar brawls as stand up fights in his past. Just 'cause we're heroes doesn't mean we can't be a little rough around the edges. ;)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 11:14 am 

Hello Michael,

It's not that I dislike bar fights ass much as I dislike putting in a fight that does not move a plot forward. These adventures are written with a very tight schedule of 4 hours of play in mind. That doesn't leave much wiggle room for getting players involved in the plot and a satisfying resolution.

So until we have a story where a bar fight will have an integral part of the plot, I don't think that will happen.

Henry Lopez
President
PCI

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 1:01 pm 

Okay I see your point when you put it in that context Henry. I wasn't trying to be critical just making an observation. And we have enough of the obligatory thug attacks in other OP systems as it is.

In terms of moving the plot forward I thought that a bar fight that involved the Heroes right at the start of a mod would be a totally different way to get them to meet as opposed to the usual ways these things work. I seem to recall a bar fight in the movie The Devil's Brigade where the Canadians and Americans (who had been at odds with each other) came together as a group. Just a thought in that direction. It would also depend on the setting. Bar fights in some locales are a BAD idea, others part of the norm.

On the subject of the four hour time frame has anyone calculated how long in real time the average fight lasts in Arcanis? Is that even possible to calculate? I have seen some fights go long...which is both fun and frustrating (especially late a night..."c'mon and DIE so I can go get sleep..... :( )

Henry if I didn't mention it earlier Hide And Seek (the HP at Origins) was really good, can't wait to run that at home when we have more time to let things play out.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 4:35 pm 

Hello Michael,

Glad you enjoyed the adventure.

As for using a bar fight for getting the characters together, I think that at this point in the story the Heroes should know each other, from traveling together or from reputation. I don't want to waste time reintroducing characters to one another.

If the characters truly are new to one another, any GM worth his salt will take a moment and let that occur.

Henry Lopez
President
PCI

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 5:07 pm 

Okey doke. :)

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next